Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-10-2014, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choppin View Post
Man isn't this rediculous... The guy asked about different mower brands... Now y'all are trying to blame common problems with kaw and Kohler engine on the OP and you don't know how often he does maintenance on his machine... Kawasaki says 20percent blow by is fine... My dad's 37 DFI has 40 percent blow by and we can't get them to replace it becuase they said it's still fine... My dealer has done every test to there specs to get the 40 percent on each cylinder.... The 37 DFI has had these problems since it was new... Now it has 259 hours and it has had all it's oil changes... So I guess that it has blowby that it's his fault... Back to the OP original question... Any commercial mower with a good dealer will make you money isn't that we do this for MONEY... And I prefer a Vanguard engine....
Posted via Mobile Device
Is your mower blowing seals left and right and making you post on open forums complaining about the reliability of the mower itself when it's the actual engine? I didn't think so..... Are you complaining how others are getting more hours and service life out of their same exact brand mower? I didn't think so... If you're not getting the same results or better than others, how could you consider that you're doing everything right? I'm just simply trying to negotiate reasons why certain things happen. All periodic maintenance recommended in service manuals are under ideal conditions. Just as speed limits are posted for ideal conditions. Just because the curve's recommended speed limit is 45 doesn't mean you can take it with a backhoe at 45. If you're having issue with your engine you should step up your recommended maintenance schedule that is all.

Yes to the OP you may have done everything right and got handed a basket full of lemons. The fact is most manufactures only use three brands and the top two used without a doubt are Kawasaki and Kohler. Yes Honda and briggs make good if not great engines they're just not found on most popular models and usually mean a sacrifice in order to get these engines. Whether it be monetary or model it usually is still a sacrifice.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkownfl View Post
Is your mower blowing seals left and right and making you post on open forums complaining about the reliability of the mower itself when it's the actual engine? I didn't think so..... Are you complaining how others are getting more hours and service life out of their same exact brand mower? I didn't think so... If you're not getting the same results or better than others, how could you consider that you're doing everything right? I'm just simply trying to negotiate reasons why certain things happen. All periodic maintenance recommended in service manuals are under ideal conditions. Just as speed limits are posted for ideal conditions. Just because the curve's recommended speed limit is 45 doesn't mean you can take it with a backhoe at 45. If you're having issue with your engine you should step up your recommended maintenance schedule that is all.

Yes to the OP you may have done everything right and got handed a basket full of lemons. The fact is most manufactures only use three brands and the top two used without a doubt are Kawasaki and Kohler. Yes Honda and briggs make good if not great engines they're just not found on most popular models and usually mean a sacrifice in order to get these engines. Whether it be monetary or model it usually is still a sacrifice.
Yes the engine I'm referring to has blown seals right now as we speak... The dealer is fixing to power wash it and try and find the leak... As Kawasaki told them to do... I have a Vanguard that gets the same schedule maint with now problems... Leaking head gaskets and seals is Very common in Kohlers.... I have a buddy that lives in another town that has two Exmarks with Kohlers and both leak oil and has had the seals replaced on both engines and they both leak now..... His dealer said they see it regular... My point is you can do all the routine maintenance and still have blow by that causes seals to go... If you walked into my dealer right now he would recommend a Vanguard.... Based on problems with other engines...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-10-2014, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That's crazy. . I have nothing but Exmark & no problems & never seen anything on a forum or anywhere on the net about kohler engines being bad for head gaskets & seals..
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-10-2014, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:

I get the point that the mower brand isn't at fault for the engine problems... But it might now be his fault that the seals are blowing...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-10-2014, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
I get the point that the mower brand isn't at fault for the engine problems... But it might now be his fault that the seals are blowing...
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree it might not be his/her fault. However, we only hear half the story on these sites. People go regularly thousands of hours without these types of issues. They're not regular issues. It might seem that things are regular to fail on certain models the truth is just that maybe these models just sold more than others.

It seems and probably something to it that people usually complain 100 times about the same issue(s) that cost them money rather than appreciating what these engines do for them. I don't think you can appreciate any engine without appreciating the one you have already. Unless it's just a dud we ask a lot of these little engines to be drop dead reliable with little maintenance and over worked. Most of these things go years without any sort of major hiccup, but as soon as a little seal fails all hell breaks loose that it's the mowers fault that it cost me 2 hours and 10 dollars to fix.

I'm not trying to jump on the OP just stating that it seems as soon as little issues happen the make is a POS and I'll never buy another one blah blah. How many times have mcdonolds or whatever messed your order up? How many times have they got it right?

When a manufacture is selling 5 times another there might be a chance you have 5 times the problems with this unit. But if you sit down and figure it out they both have the same amount of issues right???
Old 02-10-2014, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I agree it might not be his/her fault. However, we only hear half the story on these sites. People go regularly thousands of hours without these types of issues. They're not regular issues. It might seem that things are regular to fail on certain models the truth is just that maybe these models just sold more than others.

It seems and probably something to it that people usually complain 100 times about the same issue(s) that cost them money rather than appreciating what these engines do for them. I don't think you can appreciate any engine without appreciating the one you have already. Unless it's just a dud we ask a lot of these little engines to be drop dead reliable with little maintenance and over worked. Most of these things go years without any sort of major hiccup, but as soon as a little seal fails all hell breaks loose that it's the mowers fault that it cost me 2 hours and 10 dollars to fix.

I'm not trying to jump on the OP just stating that it seems as soon as little issues happen the make is a POS and I'll never buy another one blah blah. How many times have mcdonolds or whatever messed your order up? How many times have they got it right?

When a manufacture is selling 5 times another there might be a chance you have 5 times the problems with this unit. But if you sit down and figure it out they both have the same amount of issues right???
Posted via Mobile Device

I agree, I have had some good Kawasaki engines but this 37 DFI I'm talking about has had probs since the start and it's in the shop now and they want warranty it like they should... So I will not buy another new mower with a Kaw on it... A engine with 40 percent leak down is not ok... And it's blowing seals becuase of it... So since they have gave me and my dad so much trouble on this engine I will not buy another one... The only way I might buy a Kaw is if I get a good deal on a used mower... The Kawasaki Tech rep said he understood me being frustrated and said he would be to but he couldn't send out a new engine yet...we have to clean it up fix the seal and then run it sitting in the shop for so many hours and measure oil usage... My thinking is there is no way it will burn as much oil siting in a shop in cold condition as it would in the heat of the summer with engine under load...so I feel like I)' gonna get the run around...

Last edited by Choppin; 02-10-2014 at 11:51 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device

I agree, I have had some good Kawasaki engines but this 37 DFI I'm talking about has had probs since the start and it's in the shop now and they want warranty it like they should... So I will not buy another new mower with a Kaw on it... A engine with 40 percent leak down is not ok... And it's blowing seals becuase of it... So since they have gave me and my dad so much trouble on this engine I will not buy another one... The only way I might buy a Kaw is if I get a good deal on a used mower... The Kawasaki Tech rep said he understood me being frustrated and said he would be to but he couldn't send out a new engine yet...we have to clean it up fix the seal and then run it sitting in the shop for so many hours and measure oil usage... My thinking is there is no way it will burn as much oil siting in a shop in cold condition as it would in the heat of the summer with engine under load...so I feel like I)' gonna get the run around...
It's big business. When you have a market share their size you can afford to pressure the little guy a little bit. Play the game make calls whatever it be. I think it will go your way in the long run. I think you would have these issues whether it be any manufacture these days. Margins are tight and claims are regulated tight. Just like anybody else they're trying to save money they have and worry about getting more later once they have yours. Briggs maybe a little loose with their coin now and that's why the dealer is pushing them. Briggs is playing the advertisement game trying to get more market share.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
It's big business. When you have a market share their size you can afford to pressure the little guy a little bit. Play the game make calls whatever it be. I think it will go your way in the long run. I think you would have these issues whether it be any manufacture these days. Margins are tight and claims are regulated tight. Just like anybody else they're trying to save money they have and worry about getting more later once they have yours. Briggs maybe a little loose with their coin now and that's why the dealer is pushing them. Briggs is playing the advertisement game trying to get more market share.
He's pushing the Vanguards more because he hasn't had any come back BUT he hasn't sold quite as many either.... . And he said the newer series Kaw have more problems then the older series... He dosnt push the Briggs at all only the vanguard which isn't a Briggs made engine... Diahatsu makes them.... Briggs imports them...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-11-2014, 06:20 AM
LawnSite Member

I still haven't seen much recommendations for other commercial mower brands, which is why I started this thread in the first place. What equipment do you guys run?
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by blythefieldacreslawncare; 02-11-2014 at 06:25 AM.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
He's pushing the Vanguards more because he hasn't had any come back BUT he hasn't sold quite as many either.... . And he said the newer series Kaw have more problems then the older series... He dosnt push the Briggs at all only the vanguard which isn't a Briggs made engine... Diahatsu makes them.... Briggs imports them...
Posted via Mobile Device
Gotta ask yourself why a dealer would want to push a product that doesn't net him any money? Dealers make most of their money on service just like cars. I'm not saying the briggs is a bad engine as I have no experience with the make besides a 5hp or whatever when I was a teenager.

To answer your question though, I run whatever brand gives me a good deal and that I feel comfortable using. Cut quality wasn't ever a real concern for me as our grass here is pretty stiff and cuts with about any deck out there. I prefer Wright and Gravely just because my friend is a gravely dealer and I can usually find Wrights for a decent deal used.