Register free!

Old 02-09-2014, 03:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

loading ramps?

Anyone here tried using a loading ramp for their mowers? I remember one of my competitors years ago who used one to load his Lesco belt-drive mower onto his F-150.

If this is reasonable (somewhat), it would solve the issue I have with getting a trailer: I am living in a condo, and people park across and close to my garage, not sure what headaches that will be for getting in and out.

I could always use a 36" mower for this season, if the heavier ones are too difficult for the incline.

Thx

Mike
Old 02-09-2014, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
Anyone here tried using a loading ramp for their mowers? I remember one of my competitors years ago who used one to load his Lesco belt-drive mower onto his F-150.

If this is reasonable (somewhat), it would solve the issue I have with getting a trailer: I am living in a condo, and people park across and close to my garage, not sure what headaches that will be for getting in and out.

I could always use a 36" mower for this season, if the heavier ones are too difficult for the incline.

Thx

Mike
There are tons of ramp threads on here. Lots of people will say it's unsafe etc.... You could always get a trailer dolly to negotiate those tight areas getting in and out of your garage.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:

Thx

Mike
Well it's a walk behind thing for sure.

for years I ran walk behinds up in the back of f150s.

2x8x10 with a "Ramparts" kit that can be gotten at home depot.

You can fit a 52" Wb int he very front, it will go up past the wheel wells if you tip the deck up.
48" and 46" fit easily in all positions.

In an F150 I could put two 48s or a 52 and a 48 easily.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:

Thx

Mike
There's a thread about this on one of the other forums but Harbor Freight sells a Tri fold aluminum ramp for $100. Print a 20% off coupon and you're in for $80 plus tax. It has straps that hook to the bumper to keep it from kicking out. Its light, folds up, will last a long time(been using one for 4+ years), and is safe. I often run my King Quad up it on my F250 and its 600+ lbs. I wouldnt hesitate to run a wb up/down it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-10-2014, 02:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkownfl View Post
There are tons of ramp threads on here. Lots of people will say it's unsafe etc.... You could always get a trailer dolly to negotiate those tight areas getting in and out of your garage.
Oh, trailer dolly... I will search that, thx

I will also look into the info posted here on the ramps, sounds good.

I am also open to adapting to the 30" mowers... hmm.

I need to think fast, thanks!
Old 02-10-2014, 03:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Its about $1000 but they make a ramp that replaces your tailgate that is more secure than using removable ramps. In the small mowing rig thread there's a few guys using them
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-10-2014, 03:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You can shoot a light WB right up into the bed of a PU no problem. Make sure your ramps are rated heavy enough that they do not bend. IMO this would make a great compact rig for small lawns or the guy just starting out. No trailer to mess with.
09 Exmark Turf Tracer HP 36"
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
2 Husqvarna 125B Blowers
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 02-10-2014, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I think I sent you a pic of what I had; however, if I were to buy a new set, I would find a set to fit under my mower while being transported.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have some harbor freight ramps, the basic ones that didn't even come with safety chains, that I got for like 35. I just use them for my snowblower, and haven't found a need for the safety chains, they anchor into pavement just fine, and have never even come close to slipping.

You just gotta make sure that the weight of the ramps can handle the weight of the mower. Don't get the trifold aluminum ones, get the basic ones I have and make safety chains yourself, or you can put plywood on it and make a nice wide ramp (snowblower wouldn't do well with this, but fine for a mower). The trifold has too big of spaces and it'll be hard to get your mower up it.

The only issue with ramps on a truck is they're STEEP. Its not easy maneuvering equipment up it.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Dangerous. too steep. If you get the mower slightly sideways--anything can happen. Full wide ramp is better.

Is there any way you can find a low truck--like a step-van or UPS truck, retired.

http://www.autoparkfleet.com/invento...76903231086128