Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-15-2014, 04:57 AM
Sponsor

I would also recommend contacting TCIA as well. Although taking some courses offered by ISA, may offer some certification you would be better served attending a college or university in order to have a proper degree in Arborculture.
easy-lift guy
Old 02-15-2014, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Spending $20k on a degree would be fool hearty, maybe things are different 2 hours east.

One thing that MD said was correct, memorizing the book is different than achieving understanding.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-15-2014, 09:48 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjack1986 View Post
Spending $20k on a degree would be fool hearty, maybe things are different 2 hours east.

One thing that MD said was correct, memorizing the book is different than achieving understanding.
Posted via Mobile Device
Actually that is a personal business decision that only the OP can make. Stating that spending $20k on a degree would be fool hearty is really inaccurate considering the fact that most Certified Arborist are in fact college educated with degrees. The shear amount of information necessary to become a Certified Arborist requires far more than taking an ISA test.
easy-lift guy
Old 02-15-2014, 09:55 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvaden View Post
If there is a college program, see about taking some classes. No need for a degree, really.

The ISA book has a lot of stuff, but if someone just reads and memorizes it, that's really not much of an education. It really takes time, plenty of reading, experience and practice. And some coaching too.

I believe you just contradicted yourself by saying "If there is a college program, see about taking some classes. No need for a degree, really.

And than your next paragraph states, "The ISA book has a lot of stuff, but if someone just reads and memorizes it, that's really not much of an education. It really takes time, plenty of reading, experience and practice. And some coaching too."

Which bit of advise are you attempting to convey?
easy-lift guy
Old 02-15-2014, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy-lift guy View Post
Actually that is a personal business decision that only the OP can make...
My implication was that spending that money on a degree here would be fool hearty here, but perhaps things are different 90 miles east where the OP lives. Business is all about ROI, there's nothing personal about math.

Quote:
...Stating that spending $20k on a degree would be fool hearty is really inaccurate considering the fact that most Certified Arborist are in fact college educated with degrees...
Inaccurate? What's your source? I have been to college, but I don't have a degree. I was one of the youngest CAs in the Southern Chapter, and one of 40 something in MS. There are a plethora of people becoming an ISA CA, so the ISA has came out with more certifications. The ISA is a business, one of their goals is making money. Being college educated can substitute for experience on their requirements.

Quote:
...The shear amount of information necessary to become a Certified Arborist requires far more than taking an ISA test...
No, becoming an ISA CA exactly requires passing their CA test. That's it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-15-2014, 10:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
I believe you just contradicted yourself by saying "If there is a college program, see about taking some classes. No need for a degree, really.

And than your next paragraph states, "The ISA book has a lot of stuff, but if someone just reads and memorizes it, that's really not much of an education. It really takes time, plenty of reading, experience and practice. And some coaching too."

easy-lift guy

You have some unusual passion for this topic.

What he said was that memorization of a book doesn't equal understanding. Understanding allows connecting of bits of information to form a more complete picture of the situation. Understanding, for most people, requires information being presented in a multiple formats and settings to develop understanding.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-15-2014, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:

easy-lift guy
I went to the local college, took almost every tree and landscape class, and skipped virtually every general education class.

Got plenty of college education, with no intent of getting a degree.

No contradiction ... just how one perceives what's written.

Also, at least at the local college, the instructors range from Certified Arborists, to landscape designers, to PhDs, with up to 20 or 30 years experience in some cases. They included some hands-on with class instruction ... plus provide "coaching" in the classroom. And even more outside the classroom if the opportunity for lunch arises.

Back in the 80s and 90s, we used to go out for a snack after almost every night class with the instructors, and got an extra education on the side. Some will meet after class, others don't.

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

http://www.lawnsite.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9938&dateline=1262369890

Last edited by mdvaden; 02-15-2014 at 10:42 AM.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:51 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjack1986 View Post
My implication was that spending that money on a degree here would be fool hearty here, but perhaps things are different 90 miles east where the OP lives. Business is all about ROI, there's nothing personal about math.

Inaccurate? What's your source? I have been to college, but I don't have a degree. I was one of the youngest CAs in the Southern Chapter, and one of 40 something in MS. There are a plethora of people becoming an ISA CA, so the ISA has came out with more certifications. The ISA is a business, one of their goals is making money. Being college educated can substitute for experience on their requirements.

No, becoming an ISA CA exactly requires passing their CA test. That's it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks for answering for another member. I understand your really wanting to speak for yourself so I will reply to you as if you were the same party.

When I refer to the term inaccurate I was referring to the other members opinion and now yours as well. IMHO earning a degree in Arborticulture does not compare with just reading some books and taking some courses and test to become ISA Certified.
I have nothing against being ISA Certified. If someone is willing to do the time and make the effort the ROI can be had with a degree in spades.
The personal decision is on the part of the OP. Which course of action he chooses is up to him, and yes he has options available.
easy-lift guy
Old 02-15-2014, 11:14 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvaden View Post
I went to the local college, took almost every tree and landscape class, and skipped virtually every general education class.

Got plenty of college education, with no intent of getting a degree.

No contradiction ... just how one perceives what's written.

Also, at least at the local college, the instructors range from Certified Arborists, to landscape designers, to PhDs, with up to 20 or 30 years experience in some cases. They included some hands-on with class instruction ... plus provide "coaching" in the classroom. And even more outside the classroom if the opportunity for lunch arises.

Back in the 80s and 90s, we used to go out for a snack after almost every night class with the instructors, and got an extra education on the side. Some will meet after class, others don't.

Schools and curriculum's vary from state to state. You can personally attest to schools in California and I can personally attest from schools in Florida, in particular the University of Florida's program.

Most better schools provide on the job training and the ability to facilitate additional one on one time with instructors.
I hope the the OP will be making an informed decision with the educational offers available.
easy-lift guy
Old 02-15-2014, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Schools and curriculum's vary from state to state. You can personally attest to schools in California and I can personally attest from schools in Florida, in particular the University of Florida's program.

Most better schools provide on the job training and the ability to facilitate additional one on one time with instructors.
I hope the the OP will be making an informed decision with the educational offers available.
easy-lift guy
When possible, I've also found that the landscape departments at university campuses, airports, etc., often have several very experienced and educated supervisors or workers that can share learning.

With city parks, just depends on where, and what branch.

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

http://www.lawnsite.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9938&dateline=1262369890