Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-15-2014, 11:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

What grasses are you cutting that you need to change deck height for? All fesue should be cut 3 to 3.5 for best health. Southern grass such as SA and Bahia like 4 or higher. Outside of Cerntipede, Bermuda or Zoysia which are few and far between a fixed deck doesn't need constant adjusting.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-15-2014, 05:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
What grasses are you cutting that you need to change deck height for? All fesue should be cut 3 to 3.5 for best health. Southern grass such as SA and Bahia like 4 or higher. Outside of Cerntipede, Bermuda or Zoysia which are few and far between a fixed deck doesn't need constant adjusting.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah I would love to go to a fixed deck swz there awesome machines, but I do have customers that like their grass city real low. And I can't change the heigh in the field, should I just tell them that this is the correct cutting height and go with a swz? Really lost in this, do your customers tell you how they like their grass cut, or do you tell them this is best to maintain a healthy lawn? Thanks, I could use the help
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-16-2014, 02:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by scag2015 View Post
Yeah I would love to go to a fixed deck swz there awesome machines, but I do have customers that like their grass city real low. And I can't change the heigh in the field, should I just tell them that this is the correct cutting height and go with a swz? Really lost in this, do your customers tell you how they like their grass cut, or do you tell them this is best to maintain a healthy lawn? Thanks, I could use the help
Posted via Mobile Device
Now your learning. Do you want to be the guy that sclaps the lawn because the customer wants it? Cutting short will effectively put you out of a job when the grass dies in the summer. You want to be the guy that knows what's best for the grass and will keep it looking great all season. Be prepared to stand by your convictions and walk away from the customers that insist on mowing it short because "it won't grow so fast". I know starting out you hate to walk away, but remember their yards are your reputation. When the yard goes to pot from scalping do you think the customer will take responsibility and not blame you and bash you to anybody that will listen?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-16-2014, 02:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Now your learning. Do you want to be the guy that sclaps the lawn because the customer wants it? Cutting short will effectively put you out of a job when the grass dies in the summer. You want to be the guy that knows what's best for the grass and will keep it looking great all season. Be prepared to stand by your convictions and walk away from the customers that insist on mowing it short because "it won't grow so fast". I know starting out you hate to walk away, but remember their yards are your reputation. When the yard goes to pot from scalping do you think the customer will take responsibility and not blame you and bash you to anybody that will listen?
Posted via Mobile Device
Oh yeah!, that's what I'm talkin about so I really should just tell them what's best and if there solid, walk away! I agree with that, Iv just always wanted to please the customer, which is right. But if they care about there grass and what's best for it, they should let me do it thank you so so much, that's defiantly some of the most helpfull advice iv received! Could you send me a PM with your email, I don't have a upgraded membership so I would love to ask you more questions, specifically about fixed decks, and more specifically the scag swz! thank you!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-16-2014, 03:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Glad to help. Not sure why I can't PM you. Anyways feel free to post your questions here. That way everybody gets to read and offer input. I haven't owned an SWZ, but they aren't far removed from every other walkbehind on the market. I own several Scag ZTRs and they are pretty bullet proof and parts are a next day affair with my dealer. When dealing with customers you have to do a lot of hand holding. Some are misinformed, some are just ignorant and stuck in their ways. That usually explains why they are looking for a new service. I always try to weasel out the real reason why they are seeking out a new service. I simply ask "so what did the last service do or not do that made you unhappy so I dont make the same mistake". Talking to customers is a whole nother thread in itself.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Glad to help. Not sure why I can't PM you. Anyways feel free to post your questions here. That way everybody gets to read and offer input. I haven't owned an SWZ, but they aren't far removed from every other walkbehind on the market. I own several Scag ZTRs and they are pretty bullet proof and parts are a next day affair with my dealer. When dealing with customers you have to do a lot of hand holding. Some are misinformed, some are just ignorant and stuck in their ways. That usually explains why they are looking for a new service. I always try to weasel out the real reason why they are seeking out a new service. I simply ask "so what did the last service do or not do that made you unhappy so I dont make the same mistake". Talking to customers is a whole nother thread in itself.
Ok thanks! Oh yeah, I can't even post a Pm but can recieve one ! Weird! Anyway, do you/you'll think I should go with a scag swz 36in or a scag swzt 36in both walk behinds, it would be my first good mower, so I want something that works for about everything iv always loved the durability of the swz but the fixed deck always stumped me. But now with better knowledge of this I'm liking the swz. But there are still some variation of the types of grass I mow so still maybe a little height adjustment in the field would be nice. Also I love the new swzt, love the overall design new controls and the new deck height adjustment, but I want something that's built for commercial grade, which the swzt mostly is, they still used some lower grade components though, the tiny light frame I like , don't like. It's nice for the nicer grass that I mow, but if I have a tough kind beat-up yard I want something strong. Let me know your thoughts! Oh by the way the swzt also does not have the velocity deck, but I think I'm fine without that if I chose the swzt! Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-16-2014, 04:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superrman77 View Post
Been in the business for a few years mainly on the landscape side. Besides a push mower what should a solo lawn care owner purchase for equipment? At this point I am not sure how much business I will have generated by spring. I am thinking a 48" walk behind and a 36" walk behind. I am going to be buying these mowers used. It seems most of the used walk behinds for sale have fixed decks. I think I would prefer the ease of a floating deck for changing adjusting deck. Thanks for the help.
You might also check out Ebay. There is a guy in Cincinnati who has turf tracers for sale. I think these are returns on leases.

Be diligent about checking out any used machines though. Some will be great while others have engines about to give it up.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjessen View Post
You might also check out Ebay. There is a guy in Cincinnati who has turf tracers for sale. I think these are returns on leases.

Be diligent about checking out any used machines though. Some will be great while others have engines about to give it up.
M actually looking for something new, and also most likely a scag. If I can have 3,000 cash from lawns this season my grandfather sounds like he will help out with the rest and get a new scag swzt of maybe a swz. Thank you
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-16-2014, 04:22 PM
LawnSite Member

I used to mow foreclosures and had to mow them around 2 inches or so. They wanted to scalp them. I remember being on my new everride stand on and hitting a roof bolt that was hammered into the ground. Stopped mower and me in our tracks. Can you say bent deck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-16-2014, 04:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scag2015 View Post
M actually looking for something new, and also most likely a scag. If I can have 3,000 cash from lawns this season my grandfather sounds like he will help out with the rest and get a new scag swzt of maybe a swz. Thank you
Posted via Mobile Device
Gotcha. Good luck!