Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 02-11-2014, 01:49 PM
jojoleafsfan's Avatar
jojoleafsfan jojoleafsfan is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: victoria BC
Posts: 75
twomancrew, it comes with the deflector but I always take it off, Keep it on if you want.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-14-2014, 08:28 AM
lawnboy dan lawnboy dan is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: north florida
Posts: 3,440
wasnt the sthil 4 mix supposed to be the end all in technology? why is still using a redmax engine on their new models. ? sthil bought 100,000 engines from redmax before the husky buyout. this is what i read. these must be those engines.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-14-2014, 09:25 AM
Richard Martin's Avatar
Richard Martin Richard Martin is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Greenville, NC
Posts: 14,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnboy dan View Post
wasnt the sthil 4 mix supposed to be the end all in technology?
Stihl, Shindaiwa and a few other smaller companies got screwed by the EPA on this deal.

The strict new regs that were supposed to be in place by 2011 or 2012, got indefinitely delayed. Had the regs been implemented Stihl and Shindaiwa would have been at the top of the 4 stroke pile. As it is now, they have to play catch up.

I had read that Stihl paid for Redmax's Stratocharging technology, not for the engines themselves.
__________________
Serving Greenville, Winterville and Ayden NC



Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-14-2014, 09:35 AM
MOturkey's Avatar
MOturkey MOturkey is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bolivar, MO
Posts: 2,579
A friend of mine starting a new lawn care company just bought one of those, and commented about the throttle control. I, too, think it is a good idea, especially for inexperienced operators. I have 100RX trimmers, and there are times it is difficult to not overpower when trimming around sensitive areas. I'm guessing this will show up on their full line soon.
__________________
Neill Prater
Dependable Mowing Service
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-14-2014, 09:54 AM
twomancrew twomancrew is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: East, IA
Posts: 950
I'm on the opposite end of the power spectrum. We use a 90 and a 110. We are either at an idle or WOT. There is no inbetween for us and I bet for a lot of guys out there it's the same. The 90 is a dog until it gets up to speed. It has a moment of bog when you grab the throttle. The 110 grunts and is instantly on the limiter. Big difference in power there. Thick tall grass shows the difference and we have areas we don't only cut once a month or as needed. The 130 is just too much and why carry the weight and use the fuel if it's not needed? So I like the 110. I hope to hear from people like me about the 94 and it's power compared to the 90/110. I doubt it has the snap and torque of the 90, definitely can't be as strong as the 110. We have had no problems with the 90 or the 110. They have been rained on and put away wet. Air filters and grease is all we've put into them. We use echo x oil because of price. River Valley Turf sells both Echo and Stihl equipment. I'm not impressed with any new Echo trimmer. And Echo bought Shinny a few years ago. Sorry, but they did.
__________________
[/SIGPIC]
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-14-2014, 11:31 AM
Ridin' Green Ridin' Green is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Stihl, Shindaiwa and a few other smaller companies got screwed by the EPA on this deal.

The strict new regs that were supposed to be in place by 2011 or 2012, got indefinitely delayed. Had the regs been implemented Stihl and Shindaiwa would have been at the top of the 4 stroke pile. As it is now, they have to play catch up.

I had read that Stihl paid for Redmax's Stratocharging technology, not for the engines themselves.

They were actual engines, not just the technology. Stihl bought 100K of RM strato charged engines, but then shelved them in light of the forthcoming epa regs ,and went ahead and brought the 4 mix out since they had so much invested in the R&D already.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl G
I can also tell by looking back to see how they're hanging and often reach back and feel them to see how firm they are.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-14-2014, 11:36 AM
Ridin' Green Ridin' Green is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by twomancrew View Post
I'm on the opposite end of the power spectrum. We use a 90 and a 110. We are either at an idle or WOT. There is no inbetween for us and I bet for a lot of guys out there it's the same. The 90 is a dog until it gets up to speed. It has a moment of bog when you grab the throttle. The 110 grunts and is instantly on the limiter. Big difference in power there. Thick tall grass shows the difference and we have areas we don't only cut once a month or as needed. The 130 is just too much and why carry the weight and use the fuel if it's not needed? So I like the 110. I hope to hear from people like me about the 94 and it's power compared to the 90/110. I doubt it has the snap and torque of the 90, definitely can't be as strong as the 110. We have had no problems with the 90 or the 110. They have been rained on and put away wet. Air filters and grease is all we've put into them. We use echo x oil because of price. River Valley Turf sells both Echo and Stihl equipment. I'm not impressed with any new Echo trimmer. And Echo bought Shinny a few years ago. Sorry, but they did.
That's interesting to read since there's almost no difference in weight between the 130 and the 110 (12.1 vs 12.3 lbs). I'd take the 130 any day. Your 90 must be a bad one or out of adjustment because mine has all kinds of grunt right off idle and has no problem revving to the top quickly. I have never liked the fact that the 4 mix trimmers are so hard to feather up or down, but I certainly like the torque when it's needed.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl G
I can also tell by looking back to see how they're hanging and often reach back and feel them to see how firm they are.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-16-2014, 11:37 AM
Choppin Choppin is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: crossett, ar
Posts: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by twomancrew View Post
I'm on the opposite end of the power spectrum. We use a 90 and a 110. We are either at an idle or WOT. There is no inbetween for us and I bet for a lot of guys out there it's the same. The 90 is a dog until it gets up to speed. It has a moment of bog when you grab the throttle. The 110 grunts and is instantly on the limiter. Big difference in power there. Thick tall grass shows the difference and we have areas we don't only cut once a month or as needed. The 130 is just too much and why carry the weight and use the fuel if it's not needed? So I like the 110. I hope to hear from people like me about the 94 and it's power compared to the 90/110. I doubt it has the snap and torque of the 90, definitely can't be as strong as the 110. We have had no problems with the 90 or the 110. They have been rained on and put away wet. Air filters and grease is all we've put into them. We use echo x oil because of price. River Valley Turf sells both Echo and Stihl equipment. I'm not impressed with any new Echo trimmer. And Echo bought Shinny a few years ago. Sorry, but they did.
My 90 is just like you described I hate it. I know two different Sthil dealers that don't like the 4-mix at all. The sthil rep for my area said that there hoping the two stroke trimmers will get the back In the market for trimmers he said they had lots of complaints from the 4-mix but he said some love them. I prefer a two strokes raw power. There's no doubt in my mind that my small Marayauma can eat a 90s lunch because a 90 want turn the RPMs with a long string like a my Marayaumas. I have ran the side by side. I have been told that I need to have it checked out because something isn't right. Well I have had it checked out twice by one dealer and he said it was fine. I was gonna take it to another dealer and he said the 90 was just weak and they had the most trouble out of the. And he said he want stock them becuase of it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-16-2014, 11:55 AM
kube616's Avatar
kube616 kube616 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 86
I've never had a Stihl trimmer, always used Husquvarna 223l's and love them but I was at the National Farm Machinery show and stopes by the stihl tent. The 94 is lighter then the 90but not the 223l, you can tell holding it to edge that it fells good. I really also liked the throttle control. If one of my husqys dies I think it's going to be a gossip which trimmer to go with.
__________________
Scag 48' Tiger Cub
Scag 36' Belt Walk Behind
Scag 52' Hydro Walk Behind
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-16-2014, 01:13 PM
Richard Martin's Avatar
Richard Martin Richard Martin is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Greenville, NC
Posts: 14,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by kube616 View Post
If one of my husqys dies I think it's going to be a gossip which trimmer to go with.
Don't take this personally, but I believe the word you're looking for here is Toss Up.

I'm giving some thought to trying one of those Husky 223s myself.
__________________
Serving Greenville, Winterville and Ayden NC



Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:42 PM.

Page generated in 0.07853 seconds with 10 queries