Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-16-2014, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Need help finding carb kit; I decided to work on a boat motor. 7hp tecumseh

Help need carb kit don;t know where to start. Have searched a few places and nothing. This comes off an OLD onf of these 7 hp Tecumseh-Eska-Ted-Williams-Sears-7hp number on carb is 391 1018

NEED THIS GASKET set

It is very important for you to post your results once the problem is solved so that people will be able to reference a solution to their problem down the road. YEARS may go by and someone has the same problem PLEASE POST YOUR "IT WAS FIXED WITH x SOLUTION.

Last edited by tigerepairdotcom; 02-16-2014 at 06:06 PM.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerepairdotcom View Post
Help need carb kit don;t know where to start. Have searched a few places and nothing. This comes off an OLD onf of these 7 hp Tecumseh-Eska-Ted-Williams-Sears-7hp number on carb is 391 1018

NEED THIS GASKET set

Yikes! those old 70's early 80's Ted Williams/Eska/Gamefisher/Tecumseh outboards are flimsy, bargain basement, and tough to get parts for. (Basically a glorified lawn mower motor w/ a prop!) Trust me, I had an early 80's model, that I sold for 75 bucks a few years back!! There is a place in Grand Rapids, MI that sells a lot of old outboard parts.
www.sportfishermans-service.com/
Old 02-16-2014, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Good luck with that, I can tell you back 20 years ago, When I owned a couple of these outboards carb parts were NLA from Tecumseh......

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 02-16-2014, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

As mentioned, the parts are shown as NLA...

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...0/0247/1305320

How very observant of you there captain obvious.

The amount of FREE information that you receive here will be directly proportional to the amount of information that you provide!
Old 02-16-2014, 06:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Noooooooooooooooooooooo... Okay I Thank everyone for quick responses and spending time to help me out. I guess its gonna be gasket material and scalpel... The see through gasket type material is in good shape and I will re use it. The thing is is this old Asian gentleman wants me to get it running for him and It did run last year. And a stupid question but do these run on normal 50:1 2 stroke mix?
It is very important for you to post your results once the problem is solved so that people will be able to reference a solution to their problem down the road. YEARS may go by and someone has the same problem PLEASE POST YOUR "IT WAS FIXED WITH x SOLUTION.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerepairdotcom View Post
Noooooooooooooooooooooo... Okay I Thank everyone for quick responses and spending time to help me out. I guess its gonna be gasket material and scalpel... The see through gasket type material is in good shape and I will re use it. The thing is is this old Asian gentleman wants me to get it running for him and It did run last year. And a stupid question but do these run on 2 stroke mix? or are they 4 strokers? of so where is the oil drain?
All those old outboards are 2-cycle. As I recall, that's a 50:1 mixture. And then gear oil in the lower unit. Two screws in the leg. Small vent at the top, and large drain at the bottom. As I remember, the carb had a red rubber "pump element" that would blow a hole in the side, and need replacing. Plus threads would strip on that thing. As I said before, a cheap, flimsy, air-cooled motor!
Old 02-16-2014, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The red "Pump element" Is in really good shape thank goodness hopefully I can get it back together and it run like a champ and stay that way so I can get paid I am also rebuilding the 3 carbs that came off his 1988 mercury 80 orig it was hard to start and there was a fuel leak and replacing oil supply and fuel lines. This guy will be back in the water as soon as I get the parts and I will be rolling in some moolah!
Old 02-16-2014, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trees Too View Post
Yikes! those old 70's early 80's Ted Williams/Eska/Gamefisher/Tecumseh outboards are flimsy, bargain basement, and tough to get parts for. (Basically a glorified lawn mower motor w/ a prop!) Trust me, I had an early 80's model, that I sold for 75 bucks a few years back!! There is a place in Grand Rapids, MI that sells a lot of old outboard parts.
www.sportfishermans-service.com/
Another old outboard parts company worth checking out...
www.discount-marine-parts.com/

Only other option is to do a search on Ebay!