Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-25-2014, 12:09 AM
tbennett tbennett is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 2
Starting new business

I am starting a new sealcoating and striping business. I have to guys to work for me once I start, one with 15 years sealing and striping experience, other with 5 years striping experience. I am currently working on the business plan though Id stop by and see if anyone had a sample one I could use
Thanks
Tyler.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-26-2014, 01:23 AM
PGHSEALER PGHSEALER is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: pittsburgh pa
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbennett View Post
I am starting a new sealcoating and striping business. I have to guys to work for me once I start, one with 15 years sealing and striping experience, other with 5 years striping experience. I am currently working on the business plan though Id stop by and see if anyone had a sample one I could use
Thanks
Tyler.
I have an example one I got offline. PM me and I'll send it to you. Where are you from? I'm starting my 1st year as well. I'll only be doing it part time for now.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-26-2014, 03:51 AM
tbennett tbennett is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeally View Post
I have an example one I got offline. PM me and I'll send it to you. Where are you from? I'm starting my 1st year as well. I'll only be doing it part time for now.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks, I'm from Norfolk VA. I PM'ed you I believe.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-16-2014, 06:04 PM
italy2003gt italy2003gt is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: NY
Posts: 7
How are you going to pay payroll and all the starting costs of opening a sealcoating business with hiring 2 guys right off the bat.. Payroll, Taxes, workmans comp policy, Gl insurance, commercial auto, equipment etc....Dont mean to sound blunt but starting out it is going to cost you some serious money. also why would anyone start a business part time.. Insurance costs alone are going to run between 6k-14k a year....Not including equipment cost, maintenance, fuel, taxes, truck payments......If your not going to put 110 percent in you will fail your first year..... Every year guys start sealcoating business's PT.... They do not have the proper insurance, pay sales tax, payroll taxes etc....they last around a year or maybe two than they go out of business.. This is my livliehood I work 365 days a year, If im not at the shop cleaning and maintaining equipment, Im emailing and meeting with my customers, Im on the road selling, working 15 hour days, working overnight, working 4th of july, labor day memorial day while everyone is out having bbqs... this is no way a pt gig or a seasonal gig....
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-16-2014, 07:30 PM
PGHSEALER PGHSEALER is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: pittsburgh pa
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by italy2003gt View Post
How are you going to pay payroll and all the starting costs of opening a sealcoating business with hiring 2 guys right off the bat.. Payroll, Taxes, workmans comp policy, Gl insurance, commercial auto, equipment etc....Dont mean to sound blunt but starting out it is going to cost you some serious money. also why would anyone start a business part time.. Insurance costs alone are going to run between 6k-14k a year....Not including equipment cost, maintenance, fuel, taxes, truck payments......If your not going to put 110 percent in you will fail your first year..... Every year guys start sealcoating business's PT.... They do not have the proper insurance, pay sales tax, payroll taxes etc....they last around a year or maybe two than they go out of business.. This is my livliehood I work 365 days a year, If im not at the shop cleaning and maintaining equipment, Im emailing and meeting with my customers, Im on the road selling, working 15 hour days, working overnight, working 4th of july, labor day memorial day while everyone is out having bbqs... this is no way a pt gig or a seasonal gig....
I have commercial auto ins, business insurance, I do not have employees, no where near 6-14k. I already purchased all of my equipment the only thing financed was my trailer. I can respect that this is your full time job and lively hood. However, it is not going to be mine just yet (hopefully one day it will). Just because you have witnessed some business in your area fail the 1st year doesn't mean all business's will fail if only done part time they can still be very successful! I live up north where our season is 26 weeks at the very most more like 19 minus all the rainy days. My company will provide great customer service, quality work at a competitive price. So I appreciate you concern and thank you for trying to raise awareness however I couldn't disagree with you more stating that a part time business will not succeed.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-16-2014, 07:54 PM
italy2003gt italy2003gt is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: NY
Posts: 7
How do you already have business insurance for Sealcoating if you don't already provide that. You can't use landscaping insurance to cover Sealcoating. Do you have a HIC license yet? I'm located in NYS and I perform Sealcoating services ie. Sealing, Crackfilling from April-November. So your south of me. Your season should be longer. We offer snow removal the other months. What kind of unit do you have? Do you think you can work for 19 weeks and support yourself for 52 weeks. With only you working I highly doubt you can perform enough work in 19 weeks to pay yourself a salary for 52 weeks and turn a profit.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-16-2014, 08:02 PM
PGHSEALER PGHSEALER is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: pittsburgh pa
Posts: 37
I already have business insurance because I called the insurance company and purchased a policy. Yea already have hic# and to get one you have to have an insurance policy. I have a 550 gal sealmaster tank, Hot Tar Crack filler, walk behind blower, brush box etc... I work a full time job already I'll be doing this in the evening and on the weekend. Sealcoating will not be my primary source of income just yet. I have a good job already I'm just passionate about starting this business up. I plan on starting mid April and operating until mid October later if weather permits.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-16-2014, 08:06 PM
italy2003gt italy2003gt is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: NY
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeally View Post
I already have business insurance because I called the insurance company and purchased a policy. Yea already have hic# and to get one you have to have an insurance policy. I have a 550 gal sealmaster tank, Hot Tar Crack filler, walk behind blower, brush box etc... I work a full time job already I'll be doing this in the evening and on the weekend. Sealcoating will not be my primary source of income just yet. I have a good job already I'm just passionate about starting this business up. I plan on starting mid April and operating until mid October later if weather permits.
Posted via Mobile Device
Got ya, I thought you meant this was going to be your only source of income. And yes I know you need insurance for the HIC. We work and are licensed in NY, NJ, MA, PA, CT.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-16-2014, 08:07 PM
italy2003gt italy2003gt is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: NY
Posts: 7
We perform larger jobs 150k sq feet up. Mostly Govt, Municipal, state work
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-16-2014, 08:21 PM
PGHSEALER PGHSEALER is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: pittsburgh pa
Posts: 37
I would like to get to that point eventually but not ready for that yet. Is it tough to get the govt contracts?
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:26 AM.

Page generated in 0.08196 seconds with 9 queries