Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-16-2014, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salcido Lawn View Post
When I was a solo opperation, I only grossed around $75k & Net around $30k. Now, with 16 employees; I grossed close to $1.2mil and Net at $200k.
Posted via Mobile Device

Does your net include taking out an owner's salary? What services exactly?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-16-2014, 06:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JContracting View Post
Does your net include taking out an owner's salary? What services exactly?
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes, that includes my salary. I took $100k for salary and the business profited $100k above that. In 2014, we are projecting $1.5mil, with $250k-$300k profit. We do commercial lawn maintenance, with a few, minor landscaping projects.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What services?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-16-2014, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
What services?
Posted via Mobile Device
We do commercial lawn maintenance, with a few, minor landscaping projects.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
That is key. You have to be organized and have great efficiency systems in place.

To answer the OP's question, yes. I did it this year however that's with help on large installs and during 75% of fall clean ups.

To do $200,000 in apps during our normal season in MN would be $1333 per day, 5 days/weed 30 weeks out of the year and at an 8.5 hr day in the field that'd be $156.82/hr, is it doable, somewhat. That is not including any drive time though.

One 2-3 man landscape install crew can certainly do $200,000 in sales in a season.
the topic is SOLO, not 2-3 men

Also with the fert/squirt…thats a lot of material cost…how much does the fert guy who grosses 100k actually MAKE vs the lawn guy who grosses 75k?

The lawn guys has more $$ upfront in equipment (let's say at least a stander so $8k but probably more likely a walk behind for $6000 and a rider for $1000)

But assuming the fert guy has a ride on…what do those cost? 6k…and then has 15k in fert for the season and another 5k in pesticide?

Lawn guy would have more fuel spent….

It might come out in a wash in year one…but with the cost of product, as the years went on…I think the lawn guy would actually be abel to ay himself more for less work than the fert guy.

Fert/squirt pays dividends through repetition.
You can make way more with say 3 fert crews than 3 lawn crews.

But head to head solo? I think I'd rather mow, and maybe fert/squirt just the ones I mow.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Member

solo man rides 2 machines at once

So do you ride both machines @ the same time Solo Man? I doubt you do 300k on your own 100% solo I highly doubt it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadzilla View Post
It's completely possible because I do it. This year I expect to do in the neighborhood of 225. I do only lawn apps and a tree shrub spray/fert program. Aeration and seeding as well.

From a Math point of view I have about 240 days of growing season. I know you're north of me and may have a 220 day season or thereabouts.

Any production lawn or tree man should be able to do 1000 dollars a day standing on his head. So as long as you have "the sales" and the secured schedule-able work locked in...theres no reason why a solo operator can't do almost 300K solo because a thousand a day on a Z-Max is no sweat. Most days I average closer to 2K per day pro.

Thats top end. I'm starting to be satisfied about where I am at but can't say no to work just yet.

This is not bragging either. It is simply telling you guys what can be done if you are hungry, successful in your sales, efficient, organized, efficient, and again. Organized.

I came from a lengthy history of working for others and became a production machine. I come from a production driven goal oriented past.

I combined this work-production capacity/ability and combined it with my ability to organize and run a successful solo op business and it is what it is.

Because I have no employees and I constantly look to ease expenditures I have a pretty unbelievable profit margin too.

It can be done. You obviously have to have the sales and work load, and the ride on machines. I have two Z-Max's etc etc...
Old 02-16-2014, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsyardcare View Post
So do you ride both machines @ the same time Solo Man? I doubt you do 300k on your own 100% solo I highly doubt it
One foot per machine
Old 02-16-2014, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

wait 240 days…. that's 8 full months?? In mass?? I cry BULL… and that's working everyday no days off, 7 days a week, start to finish…where's the office time?

someone just got caught arm chairing it.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

32 weeks if we are lucky of actual growth here. That's 160 days if you only work mon-fri. And less than 200 if you work Saturdays too.

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 02-16-2014, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Well let just say after expenses I'd be a relatively happy camper with the solo model of netting just over $50k this year after my expenses and overhead. 2014 is a transition year for and I'm finally free of the hindrance of my other business.

Even with an explosion of application/aeration accounts this year it will still be tough to do without the snow route.

If I hire a book keeper/bean counter...will I still be solo?

Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Exact Rototilling; 02-16-2014 at 10:12 PM.