Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-18-2014, 03:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well finally success. I took the old main jet and filed it slightly larger with a torch tip cleaner set like metioned before. by restro and bigfish. Runs awesome with no choke anymore!

Restro Thank you for all your help!.....hope i didn't drive you nuts! LOL

Land rus. im 40 min from GWB.

Tiger. I was running with an air filter but no pre filter. Run fine with slight choke or if i squeezed the rubber boot to restrict airflow very slightly. Unit sat for years and bought at estate sale not running. I just got it going again don't know history except 160 hours on machine
Old 02-18-2014, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRS Landscaping View Post
hope i didn't drive you nuts!

Naw...... Not at all, I only wish you had'a opened the jet before buy'n a new carb.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerepairdotcom View Post
I am seeing all kinds of crazy suggestions. DO NOT under any circumstances make any holes bigger or modify anything.

NOT "crazy" at all tiger, Perhaps you missed this;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrorob View Post
I've had to do this on a few brand new Honda clone engines after a new carb didn't solve the high speed surge.....
And the SAME thing happened to JRS, Ain't no fancy pants carb cleaner gonna open a main jet to MAKE a engine run correctly.

Sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do......
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 02-18-2014, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We don't know all the facts. We don't know if he bought an oem carb or aftermarket. If it was an aftermarket then I can imagine it not being quite perfect. As far as carbs go though your right. You do what you gotta do. I have never had to modify an oem carb on a honda engine just saying.
It is very important for you to post your results once the problem is solved so that people will be able to reference a solution to their problem down the road. YEARS may go by and someone has the same problem PLEASE POST YOUR "IT WAS FIXED WITH x SOLUTION.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRS Landscaping View Post
Well finally success. I took the old main jet and filed it slightly larger with a torch tip cleaner set like metioned before. by restro and bigfish. Runs awesome with no choke anymore!
Imagine that! Bet yer wishin' you tried that trick, before ya bought that new carb, huh? At least ya got it running OK.

......AMF!
Old 02-18-2014, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerepairdotcom View Post
We don't know all the facts. We don't know if he bought an oem carb or aftermarket.

The facts we do know is most aftermarket carbs are built to OEM specs, Both JRS's old and new carbs had a #95 main jet, There's a very slim chance a brand new carb will have a dirty restricted port/passageway, All engine manufacturers are REQUIRED to lean engines out to pass emissions regulations......

I had four (4) brand new carbs that caused a surge on two (2) brand new out the box 8000 watt gen sets, Someone down the pike got the jet ports too small causing a lean run surge from the factory. I likely could have ordered a whole case of carbs and still ended with the same results (surge), The ONLY fix was to drill the jets to the next size.

After the above ordeal, I have no issues with drill'n a jet out if all else fails...... And on a brand new machine, I'll drill first before ordering another new carb.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!