Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-19-2014, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Member

$3k Zero Turn Mower Budget: Hustler v Gravely v Cub Cadet v Toro for 2 acres in TN

My wife and I are young new first-time homeowners. We had a home built and it just finished. It sits on just a tad under 2 acres. Our budget is $3k or under as this will be our first mower we have ever owned. We have a zero turn commercial grade mower at our family farm and we love the way it mows. My father has offered to give us an old Craftsman rider but I think going the zero turn route is better for the long term. We are in East Tennessee so our mowing months are a little longer then up North but nothing like they are in Florida. We would probably mow once a week.

So from what I've picked up on these threads so far is to stay away from Lowe's, Home Depot, Sears, etc.

With that said, I have a Gravely dealer right down the road from me. I also have a Toro & Cub Dealer about 15 min away. Every other dealer is an hour away. I really like the Hustler Raptor but knowing the dealer is so far away scares me. I did stop by the Gravely dealer and even though I'm not familiar with them they look like really nice mowers where-as the Cub looks pretty cheaply made.

So, given the choices, which would you go with?

Gravely ZT(50 inch deck, 23hp Kawasaki)
Toro TimeCutter(50 inch deck, 23hp Kawasaki)
Cub Cadet(50 inch deck, 24hp Kohler)
Hustler Raptor(52 inch deck, 23hp Kawasaki)

All your advice and input is helpful.

Thanks!

Old 02-19-2014, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Member

I would recommend the Toro Timecutter MX. The main difference between the SS and MX is the MX has a welded deck. Good luck in your choice.

Toro
Dolmar
Maruyama
Old 02-19-2014, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallengineshop View Post
I would recommend the Toro Timecutter MX. The main difference between the SS and MX is the MX has a welded deck. Good luck in your choice.
$1,100 out of my price range.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The dealer I use speaks very highly of the Hustler Raptor. I think it has a 4 year warranty as well.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjessen View Post
The dealer I use speaks very highly of the Hustler Raptor. I think it has a 4 year warranty as well.
Which dealer do you use? I'm an hour from Knoxville so if I needed it serviced thats a long haul. Hopefully that would never happen.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-19-2014, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhjm View Post
Which dealer do you use? I'm an hour from Knoxville so if I needed it serviced thats a long haul. Hopefully that would never happen.
Posted via Mobile Device
Commercial Cutting in Maryville. You might go to Hustler's site and use their dealer locator if they have one. The guys are Commercial Cutting are first rate. Let me know if you have any questions about them and I will try to answer them for you.

Good luck.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjessen View Post
Commercial Cutting in Maryville. You might go to Hustler's site and use their dealer locator if they have one. The guys are Commercial Cutting are first rate. Let me know if you have any questions about them and I will try to answer them for you.

Good luck.
Thanks for that info. That's actually the dealer I had looked at if I decided on a Hustler. It's a good hours drive but we are in Knoxville a lot anyway and I happen to love Maryville. It's such a nice town.

Do you know if they will come down off MSRP on Hustlers? I'm just curious if I have any bargaining power before heading over there. And do you know much about the new Raptors besides them recommending them?

Thanks man!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-19-2014, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Member

I recommend the Hustler based on many, many hours of research. Especially if you have a great dealer nearby.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Member

I own 2 Toro Grandstands with 52" decks and 23 hp Kawasaki. I bought one 2 yrs ago and I liked it so much I bought a 2nd this past year. The only problem is they run about 7-8 grand but well worth it. I actually bought mine as brand new leftovers so I only paid 6k per, still over your budget, but I don't see how you'd get a good commercial new mower for 3k. I will add that I have also owned 2 Walker brand mowers over the years and I am much happier with the Toro GS. Good luck!
Old 02-19-2014, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsyardcare View Post
I don't see how you'd get a good commercial new mower for 3k.
He's only doing his own place, doesn't need a commercial machine.