Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-19-2014, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkownfl View Post
I was referring to if he has an INC or a LLC taxed S corp. Just simply stating that FL will want their share if so. Not talking about sales tax. You will need to register with the department of revenue for the State of Florida most likely. I had travelers without an equipment rider. I think I paid like 500ish with 2 employees 10% commercial 90% residential revenue. Adding equipment would have been like 1200 extra a year and I didn't feel the need to pay that at the time.
I was confused about the LLC thing. What exactly is that for?
And when i talked to the city all they said i needed was my tax receipt from them and a Fictitous name registration from the state.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahamslawncare View Post
I was confused about the LLC thing. What exactly is that for?
And when i talked to the city all they said i needed was my tax receipt from them and a Fictitous name registration from the state.
Is your business an INC?

Last edited by unkownfl; 02-19-2014 at 09:14 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Member

It's not an INC or an LLC. I didn't even know I had to have one of the other. :/ guess I'm not fully legal. How do I go about this?
Because like is said, I have the EIN because i thought I needed one(after reading what everyone else said wasting the 20mins does about the same as just using my social since im employeeless, Tax Receipt from Daytona Beach(city), and a fictitious name.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahamslawncare View Post
It's not an INC or an LLC. I didn't even know I had to have one of the other. :/ guess I'm not fully legal. How do I go about this?
Because like is said, I have the EIN because i thought I needed one(after reading what everyone else said wasting the 20mins does about the same as just using my social since im employeeless, Tax Receipt from Daytona Beach(city), and a fictitious name.
Did you register with SUNBIZ??? You don't need to be a LLC or INC. Just if you choose to be taxed as a S corp you are essentially an employee and employer. If you can be considered an employee and pay yourself payroll you will need to pay into unemployment with Florida. If you're a Sole Proprietorship you don't need to pay into the unemployment until you have an employee. If you need to collect sales tax you will need to register for that as well with the FL dept of revenue. There are federal tax benefits going with an INC structure or certain tax structures in a LLC whether or not they will benefit you is up to you and how much you earn a year. If you're netting a fair amount it may be to your advantage to avoid some self employment tax by going the S corp route.

Basically going the route you're a sole proprietorship it seems. So minus your expenses at the end of the year you will pay the IRS income tax and the 15+% self employment tax on all your net earnings. With going to an S corp you will be able to avoid some self employment taxes. Keep in mind self employment taxes counts towards your SS/disability benefits so you don't want to cut yourself short if you're going to become disable or retire within a decade or so. If you ever look at your pay check stub the FICA is actually only what you pay your employer matched this for the total of 15+%.

You don't have to be a LLC or INC but if you want to avoid some SE taxes you will need to elect as a S corp or C corp in either entity by march 15th.

Last edited by unkownfl; 02-19-2014 at 10:19 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twomancrew View Post
A TIN would have done it too, or you can use your SS#. Anything employee related needs an EIN from the IRS.

"Inland Marine" I cannot explain the name. It covers your equipment. You guys are getting awesome insurance prices. I couldn't get those rates if I was married to an agent here in IA.
This is correct that you really did not need a EIN and are set up as sole prop...you are the business and the business is you...your social would of did. I know it gets confusing sometimes when you stay small as people just assume you should have this or that and it may not fit your model.

I had one company insist that I give them a copy of workers comp when I was solo. I explained to them that at that time there were not any employees. They insisted that I needed a workers comp exempt form then. I called the state and the state informed me that I was not able to get a workers comp exempt form because I did not meet the terms of needing workers comp. Explained to the company - company insisted I still needed, finally got it resolved after many many calls and one final call with everyone conferenced in...I can still remember how frustrated I was that day.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 02-19-2014, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My second or third year I got into some jobs with vendor packets. I had to get commercial vehicle and worker comp policies for a couple and I didn't really want to start them. It was a lot of insurance to carry for only a few dollars here and there. My first couple years I didn't have a plow truck so when I got one I plowed snow for a year without proper insurance. The dingbat agent I got never tells me things for the future. Just because I don't have a plow today she could mention the policy needed. I guess I was trying to be too cheap as a beginner, and I didn't want to know.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Member

You need an EIN # whether you have employees or go solo to open a business checking account. You get your EIN from calling the IRS and applying for one
Old 02-19-2014, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsyardcare View Post
You need an EIN # whether you have employees or go solo to open a business checking account. You get your EIN from calling the IRS and applying for one
Try a different bank next time. You can search my posts, my wifey is a banker and all I needed for our's was our dba and my ss#. Not to argue, just letting people know there are options to some things.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Member

So let me get this all right.

I need to go to sunbiz.org Register my business, and either do it as a Sole employer/employee, LLC, or INC and i won't need any other paperwork? You guys are a lot more help then city hall. Those idiots barely told me anything. Had to keep bugging my girlfriend who works as an accountant for a construction company for help. She has to go there a lot for their licenses & permits and knows a little about the system.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Member

So got off the phone with sunbiz. -.- They said i cannot even apply for an LLC OR INC since i don't have employees. Then i asked if i still need some sort of business license to prove im a licensed business, and I get,
"do you sell products?"
"No, im a service."
"Oh well, yeah... um... i don't know...."