Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-19-2014, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Side gate: driver or passenger side

Im getting a new trailer with a side gate and am trying to decide between having it on the driver or passenger side and was wondering what other pros and cons of each would be.

99% of the time im just in suburban neighborhoods and park on the opposite side of the street as the lawn Im servicing, so the "opening into the street" will happen no matter which side its on half the time. Currently the way I load my Great Dane Gateway (which will be using the gate) it would be easier to have it on the drivers side, but Im more than open to why this may be a good or bad idea.
What do you guys think?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-19-2014, 01:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Usually, most guys have it on the passenger side so when you poll up to a lawn you just flip the gate onto the lawn and go from their. Having the gate open into the street will only cause problems. For you'll have to deal with traffic, which means you would have to lift the gate down to unload the mower, lift the gate back up so your not blocking traffic and then do it all over agin to put the mower back in the trailer. the only other solution would to have the gate flip down on the drivers side, but the way park neighbors probably wont like you unloading a mower on their lawn.

seems like you should reconsider where you park when you arrive at a lawn.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:36 PM
LawnSite Member

I would just put the gate on the passenger side and pull right up next to the lawn.

That way the gate, mower, and you will be out of the street and out of the way of oncoming cars.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-20-2014, 12:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

we had a lot of problems with side gates…mostly due to only having so many places to park, you won't be able to avoid having to put the gate down in a neighbors yard eventually, and we had a lot of complaints by doing that…one neighbor even spit in my personal truck when the crew was using it when we were down a truck…not hurting their lawn by any means but some people just won't have it, so we have decided to make our trailers wide enough to fit a 36" and a 52" mower side by side to avoid the situation all together
Old 02-20-2014, 12:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Most neighborhoods around here have street wide enough for 3 and even 4 cars to drive side by side, so being in the street isnt too much of an issue. Ill have the side of the gate either painted bright colors or reflective tape on it as well as cones down when its down.

I always park on the opposite side of the street to make things faster and more efficient, especially clean up. I DEFINITELY wont be dropping the gate in neighbors lawns, i have not desire to deal with busy body people who just sit around looking for stuff to complain about. I already get pricks crying if i park infront of their house. I just tell em "Its a public street, call the cops, leave me alone"
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-20-2014, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Member

I would definitely put it on the passenger side regardless.
1999 F350 7.3 PSD flatbed
20' enclosed, 16' open, 14' dump
3 Walker MT 48", Toro Z500 60",
Toro proline 48", Dixon ZTR 42"
Stihl small equipment
SC licensed pesticide applicator
Old 02-20-2014, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by precision8m View Post
I would definitely put it on the passenger side regardless.
We had a trailer that had both.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-21-2014, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Member

drivers side seems like a terrible idea, I'm sure ita the reason I have only seen them installed on the passenger side. Why even have one? We have never needed a side gate. Also, just park a little further off the curb and cleanup is never an issue, unless you are discharging into the road which doesn't make sense either...