Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-15-2014, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

No we do over 500 hundred every snow storm. That would take an army of shovelers. We use skidsteers and tractors.

See pic
http://www.plowsite.com/attachment.p...1&d=1391553164
Old 02-15-2014, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

driveway machines

You can see my thread on plowsite for snow stuff, but here are some other photos.

Of the 35 guys for the winter, about half get full time hours. The others are on call. Some winters are pretty lean, but others are busy. We attach an hourly premium for the on-call guys to entice them to stay.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

forgot to add the photos to the last post.
Attached Images

Old 02-18-2014, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Check out our latest video!

http://youtu.be/K8sFDlM4QJE
Old 02-20-2014, 02:51 AM
LawnSite Member

That snow blower attachment that you have for the cat track loader, what is that called? Is it a custom attachment for that blower, or is that something I can buy/lease from cat?
That would be a great way to not have to drop some of my residential, but its getting to the point at where we really don't want to employ more guys and will have to drop off some of our snow work in order to stop working 12+ hour snow events due to so much residential along side our few larger commercial clients.
Toro Turfmaster 30" (2)
Toro 21" Proline (6)
Walker MT EFI 48" GHS (1)
Echo Trimmers, Blowers, & Saws
Hiniker and Cycle Country Plows
Old 02-20-2014, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The attachment is our own design added on to a Cat snowblower. It has increased efficiencies in a big way on larger snow events. Our goal is to get more efficient equipment to reduce total employees as well. The reality we face is that we would get better asset utilization if we added a second shift to run our machines 24 hrs per day. This maximizes the return on investment with a marginal increase in management overhead. Efficiency is still a priority of course, but it doesn't pay to become more efficient if you are still charging the same rate per hour
Old 02-22-2014, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Oh wow! Its a great design! Did you have one of your guys build it in house then?? Yeah I can imagine that it helps move a lot of snow. In the video it shows the whole driveway being done in about 3 mins! At least thats what I say, even if it was sped up quite a bit. Could you send me the original not sped up version? I would like to show that to my boss and see if thats something he might want to invest in for next years snow season.

Thats brilliant! My hats off to you sir! Running your equipment all of the time to get the most out of it. You're doing it all right! Your running an amazing operation and continued success you to in years to come.
Toro Turfmaster 30" (2)
Toro 21" Proline (6)
Old 02-22-2014, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That driveway is 2 double driveways. A good operator can do a driveway in about 30 seconds on tightly grouped condo units. I will see what I can do on the video. The originals are huge files and too large to email. I designed the concept and worked with a fabricator to produce the end product. The real genius work was configuring the hydraulics to connect universally with any of our CATs.

We tested, tweaked, then I had to make a major design change with the fitting type we used because of vibration. I have ideas for the second version. Just need to sign up another couple hundred driveways to service first!
Old 02-23-2014, 01:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Dang, I didn't realize that in the video. Thats really amazing! So you guys do a lot of driveways grouped close together then? That would keep your productivity way up in a tight area. We have 2 condo associations now, but they're probably 20 driveways each... Hard to justify having that large of a machine at.

Well thats great! Even though you had to build it yourself its a great design. Could have fooled me that it was cat made. haha. I really like that though, making stuff for yourself that doesn't exist in order to make things work more efficiently. Im a fabricator myself, but usually don't have the time for much work inside of the shop besides just keeping things running as needed during most of the year. Is the second version you are thinking of a lot more complicated then what you have running now?
Toro Turfmaster 30" (2)
Toro 21" Proline (6)
Old 02-23-2014, 01:02 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I was wondering about that attachment as well...

That is a really slick design.....

Do you use special snow tracks for the machine or just regular tracks?

Great looking company by the way.... Keep up the good work! Very inspirational...