Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-20-2014, 01:25 AM
LawnSite Member

I would never go there again. I believe it's the little things that bring customers back. Not necessarily because you're getting thousands off a mower but being treated the right way and not talking down to somebody. No one wants to be made to feel dumb. I would contact Scag and let them know the experience you had with that dealer. It not only shines a bad light on that dealer but Scag also. You have to take care of the little guy just as you would the large commercial companies!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-20-2014, 01:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dealer support is very important. Im lucky enough to have my dealer 100 yards away from my shop and it works out great. They fix our equipment fast and if we need a loaner for anything, we get it, really eliminates downtime.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-20-2014, 02:06 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILS View Post
The dealer I use actually has everything from car lots to a feed store. They sale 3 brands of mowers, Bad Boy, Cub Cadet and Dixie Chopper.

When I take a mower in for service they let me use a demo mower if I need to.

Now on the bad side, sometimes it takes days for them to even look at my equipment. Their service department stays swamped.
Posted via Mobile Device
Must be Lee Hoffpauir.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well the first thing your friend did wrong was to bring it to a motorcycle shop. If the problems are with the engine he could take it to another dealer that sells mowers! The second problem is you! If you came into my shop with that attitude I would have said have a nice day and don't let the door hit you in the ass! The third thing is why didn't you friend go there and complain. Can't he fight his own battles. This whole story sounds like a failer before it began! Just saying.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:20 AM
LawnSite Member

I have been to several dealerships and purchased all sorts of different equipment over the years. I nowhave all of my work done at a place that was a lawn care repair shop first and now it does sell exmark. (I have never had a good experience with a dealer as far as having work done.) I will be driving 3hrs to purchase my new ztr. After gas and lunch for my crew I will still be saving $517.00. I think my crew will enjoy the road trip and I believe we will be stopping for lunch at Hooters.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scagman52 View Post
Well the first thing your friend did wrong was to bring it to a motorcycle shop. If the problems are with the engine he could take it to another dealer that sells mowers! The second problem is you! If you came into my shop with that attitude I would have said have a nice day and don't let the door hit you in the ass! The third thing is why didn't you friend go there and complain. Can't he fight his own battles. This whole story sounds like a failer before it began! Just saying.
You may be right to an extent. My attitude may have fueled an attitude in the guy. But I didn't curse. I didn't yell. I just told him what is lawn guys expect right from the get go. I have had people I work for be really unreasonable with me about when they want their work done, but I never thought about responding like he did to me. I find cursing very unprofessional and especially what he said with it. So according to all my fellow commenters, they'd prefer not to go to a dealer that acts this way as well. You might want to take note.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-20-2014, 09:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newz7151 View Post
Must be Lee Hoffpauir.
It is. Are you from around here?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-20-2014, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Don't bring up other people's problems. Mind your own business. When you take your unit there you ask when you can expect to hear from them. Leave your friend out of it, use his experience to help you conduct business there, and if he jerks you around you did all you can and you don't go back.

What a sh!thead- the dealer guy I mean. Total crap attitude.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILS View Post
It is. Are you from around here?
Posted via Mobile Device
I was getting ready to ask if you were Ricky from "Texas Storage Wars".
Old 02-20-2014, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

In all fairness, you may have rubbed the guy the wrong way by being demanding when you didn't have a dog in the fight, so to speak. That would be kind of like a neighbor of one of your clients coming over and telling you how you should be mowing the client's lawn.

That said, good business people will usually see the potential for future business and try not to alienate a potential customer. I'm guessing in this case Scag called up local shops looking for someone to handle their warranty work, and this guy bit. If the owner and the shop manager are different people, then they likely have a different view of the situation. The owner is seeing a few extra bucks, and the shop manager is thinking pita work on equipment he isn't interested in servicing.

Whatever the situation, I'd move on. I see so many horror stories on here about dealers that it makes me want to give mine a big hug the next time I go out there.