Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-15-2014, 01:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallz View Post
Is it just a general license? or are there different levels / types of licenses? All I will really be doing is a 7 application program with pellet fertilizer and spot weed spraying. I won't be doing any mixing or major applications of any sort... just the basics that'll keep the lawn green and the weeds gone.
USDA site has all the information you need on this. Im in Va and we cant even use Round Up on for pay. I had to take an online class and get certified as an applicator and then get license to apply any kind of chemicals to the turf.
Make sure you have proper insurance as well. EPA will have a field day if there is a possible poisoning or a contamination due to run off.
Push mowers
5x10 trailer

All my stuff is used but its paid for
Old 02-15-2014, 06:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Just wondering, but did you come up with 50K? I'm just going for the most basic and simplest license out there. I only plan on providing a 7 fertilizer program and then just spot spraying weeds.
I'm sure you could bring that number down to around 20-25k if everything was bought used...main thing is getting that VA pesticide license and I'm not sure if VA requires a fert license yet.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Wow license fees in nc are like 150 counting the test.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:31 PM
LawnSite Member

rescuedlawn did you get certified and licensed online through the USDA? Now knowing how important having a license is I'll need to hopefully get it fairly quick before spring fertilizing. And whats the difference between getting certified and licensed?

Really appreciate everyones input.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Certified is licensed. It is very important to have the basic understanding of what you are dealing with. Always be the smartest guy out there. It makes the customers feel comfortable with you.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Hey Everyone, I'm starting to get things organized for the 2014 season and one thing I didn't provide last year to my clients was fertilization and weed control. This'll be my 3rd year in the business and I didn't want to mess with that aspect of the business at first, but now i realized how much money I could've made. This year I decided to provide this service to all my clients (35 residential) and have been working with the local john deere landscape about getting an idea of what and when to use certain stuff.

So I wanted to see if you guys had any advice or tips on some questions I have (I've talked with the guys at john deere about some of these but I want to see what everyone else is doing and whats working vs whats not)

- What's an ideal fertilizer program / schedule
- best weed control option (backpack sprayer??)
- do you have to be licensed for any part of this
- any applying method advise

I appreciate the input!
You can obtain study booklets through your county extension agency or through Kansas State University. First you need to take the tests to become a certified applicator. This will be two tests: General and Category 3b (turf). Once you pass the tests you can obtain your Pesticide Business License through the Kansas Department of Agriculture. You can find a schedule of tests on the Kansas Department of Agriculture website.

My picture thread:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=374000
Old 02-22-2014, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Grasscutter View Post
You can obtain study booklets through your county extension agency or through Kansas State University. First you need to take the tests to become a certified applicator. This will be two tests: General and Category 3b (turf). Once you pass the tests you can obtain your Pesticide Business License through the Kansas Department of Agriculture. You can find a schedule of tests on the Kansas Department of Agriculture website.
I'm assuming your licensed, how long did it take you to get licensed? was the process difficult or pain staking to get through? Was all the certifying ad licensing all on-line?
Old 02-22-2014, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Nothings online. Took like 3 to 6 weeks after the test to get confirmation of passing and such.

Where you from? If youd like you could give me a call tomorrow afternoon and I can try to explain the process.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-23-2014, 02:42 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm in the Kansas City area. If we could work that out I would really appreciate it. I actually don't have my phone right now...left it in the truck today when I dropped it off at the transmission shop, but ill have it back midweek. Could i hit you up some time this week?
Old 02-23-2014, 02:25 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Yep that's fine
Posted via Mobile Device