Register free!

Old 02-22-2014, 02:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

what do you backfill with? i would need a mason dump to follow me to each service call if i worked in your area!
Old 02-22-2014, 03:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Now you guys understand why I don't want to trench it in. It's not all like that on our place but the areas I want to run water to have a lot of stuff like that around them. The deer seem to prefer moving through those rocky areas with sparser vegetation to the areas with lots of topsoil and trees.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I backfilled that ditch with sand underneath and on top of the pipe. There was enough topsoil, after removing the larger rocks in it, to finish backfilling the ditch.
I've done on top of the ground poly to water troughs before, just make sure you make a set of steps for the smaller critters to get up to the tank or they'll chew through the poly to get to the water.

Here's good example of an area to go with above ground pipe:
Attached Images

Old 02-22-2014, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Maybe good was trying to tell us something when he put all those rocks in... Don't try to grow stuff in Texas.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-23-2014, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Wow.

Sprinkus is a monstah!

I would not have anything do to with digging if that was I was up against.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

might check the vets, but this is just an attempt to help **

**which could be very wrong
Attached Images

Old 02-24-2014, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Rhett,

Venison is probably already $600/lb by the time you figure in the costs of maintaining the property, keeping the feeders full, having roads cut and maintained, getting water setup, fuel to get back and forth, rifle, scope, ammunition, processing, etc... If I rented that, it would probably take me up to e $605/pound and that's just a bridge too far...

Seriously, I need to do this on the cheap, we've spent close to $10k on property improvements since September so even if it only lasts a couple of years, this needs to be budget friendly. I can afford to do a better job later if it becomes necessary but right now, we just need water.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcg View Post
Rhett,

Venison is probably already $600/lb by the time you figure in the costs of maintaining the property, keeping the feeders full, having roads cut and maintained, getting water setup, fuel to get back and forth, rifle, scope, ammunition, processing, etc... If I rented that, it would probably take me up to e $605/pound and that's just a bridge too far...

Seriously, I need to do this on the cheap, we've spent close to $10k on property improvements since September so even if it only lasts a couple of years, this needs to be budget friendly. I can afford to do a better job later if it becomes necessary but right now, we just need water.
$600/ lbs. !? Im in the wrong business.

are you creating an area for you to take your own trophys or are you bringing in people while acting as a negotiating guide?

$600/lbs !? How many lbs. is the average 8pt there, post-processing?
Old 02-24-2014, 01:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh, you can't sell it for that (well unless you're selling 200 class deer), that's just what it costs when you figure in all the actual expenses involved in having and maintaining a piece of land for hunting. The dove, quail and javelina offset that some but yeah, if you have a lease or hunting property and use it exclusively for that, the economics really don't make sense. You can't put a price on fun units or time with the family though.

I took my wife and 18 y/o daughter down for 10 days after Christmas. We don't have TV down there and very limited Internet so we had to entertain each other by talking and hanging out around the campfire and stuff. That's priceless, I'll gladly spend whatever it costs to have a place where I can make that happen a couple of times a year. In fact, my wife and I are headed down today for 3 days before the season really kicks off. We need to do some work on the place (this trip is tiling the bathroom floor and shower) but there will be plenty of time with just us hanging out and that makes it all worth while.

The buck I shot this year was probably 40# of meat processed. He was a decent sized deer but bone and guts make up a lot of their mass. So figure 2 dove, 2 javelina (about 20# processed) and the deer and I harvested maybe 61 pounds of meat for $10k in expenses this year, that comes out to just about $164 per pound. Not quite as bad as I made it out but still pretty expensive meat...
Old 02-24-2014, 01:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcg View Post
Oh, you can't sell it for that (well unless you're selling 200 class deer), that's just what it costs when you figure in all the actual expenses involved in having and maintaining a piece of land for hunting. The dove, quail and javelina offset that some but yeah, if you have a lease or hunting property and use it exclusively for that, the economics really don't make sense. You can't put a price on fun units or time with the family though.

I took my wife and 18 y/o daughter down for 10 days after Christmas. We don't have TV down there and very limited Internet so we had to entertain each other by talking and hanging out around the campfire and stuff. That's priceless, I'll gladly spend whatever it costs to have a place where I can make that happen a couple of times a year. In fact, my wife and I are headed down today for 3 days before the season really kicks off. We need to do some work on the place (this trip is tiling the bathroom floor and shower) but there will be plenty of time with just us hanging out and that makes it all worth while.

The buck I shot this year was probably 40# of meat processed. He was a decent sized deer but bone and guts make up a lot of their mass. So figure 2 dove, 2 javelina (about 20# processed) and the deer and I harvested maybe 61 pounds of meat for $10k in expenses this year, that comes out to just about $164 per pound. Not quite as bad as I made it out but still pretty expensive meat...
I think you have alot of wisdom there,
how much more is it going to cost you to arrange 200 class?