Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-22-2014, 08:13 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pls8xx View Post
I sense that interest in this subject has waned if there was any to start with. No need to continue with other aspects of curves. Some of you may have noticed that I've been a member since 2007 with only 50 some odd posts. Time for me to go back to lurker mode.
So you're good at math, now can we see some of your fine samples of your craftsmanship. Just because you didn't get the applause that you think you deserved, you run and hide?
Old 02-22-2014, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedosix View Post
So you're good at math, now can we see some of your fine samples of your craftsmanship. Just because you didn't get the applause that you think you deserved, you run and hide?
Forums are comprised of those who brag and those who share. Maybe the op just wanted to share some knowledge with his peers. Maybe help solve the radius in a pond problem poised in another thread that was closed. Anyway, he got his point across without acting like an arrogant ass this time. He's demonstrated how to lay a radius out with a transit, no need to ask him to measure Richards too.

It benifits everyone to have people post rather than lurk, they should be welcomed rather than challenged.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-22-2014, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post

It benifits everyone to have people post rather than lurk, they should be welcomed rather than challenged.
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree and if some of us (me included) came off harsh, its only because we were challenging him, or a bit jealous of his math skills. I think he should hang around and work with us rather than lurk though....
Old 02-22-2014, 11:13 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm a lurker more than a poster for a couple of reasons. First, I've found I learn a lot more when I listen than when I talk. And second, I have a background much different than most members here with not that much knowledge that others would have an interest in.

I thought there was not a lot of interest in this discussion because if folks were really thinking about staking out curves I should have got a comment something like this:

"If this is such a great a way of staking curves and you are so damn smart, why are you putting all those 'accurate' stakes on the wall line instead of on an offset where they would do some good."

And on a project that would be exactly what I would do. Pull some off set stakes from the two end points at the start (maybe 2 ft). For a 100 foot wall radius, from the offset stakes I would be computing and staking a 102 ft. or 98 ft radius.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I must really be dumb because that is completely over my head! Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-22-2014, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Let's talk a bit about why you might want to get a transit if it's nothing but an old used builders transit for $200. So maybe you don't know much about how to use it and you can't turn anything but even degree angles with it.

Sometimes one of your best workers gets the idea of starting his own company. Once he learned the basics it looks easy enough. Homeowners watch and think it's easy too. They may be wondering why they're paying you big bucks for work they could get their friends to do for a little beer and food.

Get a transit out and the whole perception of the project changes. It starts to look like maybe you need an engineering background to do the work. If it were me I would find some excuse to set up a transit whether I could use it for anything or not.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have on on site and set up for most of my jobs, only use it for elevation shots. When they see me work with my tools and equipment they always say" I'm so happy I didn't tackle this project myself"
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-22-2014, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Maybe I should make it clear what I'm not. I don't have an education past high school. I'm not a teacher. I don't have a book, software, or any other product to sell you. I've never owned a landscaping business (though I've thought about it several times).

I'm an old uneducated redneck with 50+ years designing and building projects from the office to the field with a heavy emphasis on field operations. I don't have a portfolio of projects I've worked on. For those that need pictures, you might check the avatar I've used at Lawnsite. Although it's not the biggest project I've worked on, it's the one where I added the most profit( 3M+). And it has a long radius curve.

Old 02-22-2014, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedosix View Post
I think he should hang around and work with us rather than lurk though....
Yup, and then if he becomes an ass, you give him so much crap that he quits posting. Too bad others don't get the hint.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-23-2014, 12:28 AM
LawnSite Member

I know you are gonna find this hard to believe, but here in the backwoods of Arkansas some of the architects and landscape designers don't yet have a computer with autocad. They're still working on paper and their plans may not contain all the info you would like. In the graphic below one of these guys calls for a 44 by 12 patio with an outer edge that bows out 4 ft. He doesn't know what the radius is; he faked the curve in with a french curve.

Let's hope everyone can get stakes set at points A & B. You could then stake the curve if you just knew what the radius should be.

Notice that I have divided the distance from A to B in half and show a point at C halfway around the arc. The shaded triangle has some special properties. To compute the radius you have to first determine the triangle side I labeled with a ? mark. You can set a stake at point C and measure the distance (checking that you have the same distance to point B). Or you can compute the distance as I have shown on the graphic.

Once you have all the side distances, do the math as I show to get the radius. With the radius known, refer to my earlier postings to stake the curve.