Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-22-2014, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Man, that is terrible to hear....

The GPS's are an ok idea but in all reality it is usually not other LCO's that are stealing full trailers...

It's thieves that are looking to sell the equipment as fast as possible...

And we all know that if somebody has the balls and is clever enough to to grab a trailer in the first place then they are going to know about and know how to disable equipment GPS units...

I'm not saying not to do it, and I'm not saying that preventative measures shouldn't be taken...

But to think that you will always be able to locate your equipment that has been stolen while it is out working is more like a 1 in 10 shot on the odds....
Old 02-22-2014, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Gps

Had my equip stolen including truck and trailer. Got a GPS and put on my mower if they steal the mower it is on the trailer so I can track it. Amazing how this thing works and it is cheap!!

http://gpsandtrack.com/
Old 02-23-2014, 03:17 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsden&Son View Post
Man, that is terrible to hear....

The GPS's are an ok idea but in all reality it is usually not other LCO's that are stealing full trailers...

It's thieves that are looking to sell the equipment as fast as possible...

And we all know that if somebody has the balls and is clever enough to to grab a trailer in the first place then they are going to know about and know how to disable equipment GPS units...

I'm not saying not to do it, and I'm not saying that preventative measures shouldn't be taken...

But to think that you will always be able to locate your equipment that has been stolen while it is out working is more like a 1 in 10 shot on the odds....
And your argument assumes they know a) there are GPSs on mowers and b) where on the mower they are located? It's not some big blinking VCR sized item that attaches to the back of the mower like R2D2s security bolt.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Member

GPS on all our trucks... Tells us everything

Bucket Truck/Chipper

Landscapes/Hardscapes

7 Trucks
2 Loaders
1 Mini skid steer
A Army of MEN

Old 02-23-2014, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

HAHAHAHA!!!

R2D2's security bolt!!!

That's awesome.... and yes, I know how big these units are, I used to work for Orkin as a technician and there were units in all the trucks....

Like I said, I think that it's a good idea. Anything that will prevent or help get your stolen property back is a good thing....

I'm just saying that there are a lot of thieves out there that are smart. They read, they study, I mean, it is their trade. GPS is a pretty popular thing now-a-days..... To think that there a no thieves that know how to disarm or remove them is crazy....

However, they are absolutely clutch for making sure your crew is staying honest... as you guys mentioned...
Old 02-24-2014, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy Buds View Post
While I was at the grocery store someone stole my entire trailer. 2013 Turf Tiger, blowers, trimmers, catchers, plugger and my brand new 16' tandem trailer 2013. I'm insured but very angry. Cut the lock. The only thing they left was my walk behind that was on my carport. It was on my driveway.
Gainesville, GA...not far from me! That's no good.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Sorry to hear that man! Glad you have insurance!

-----------------------------------
My Equipment:
2011 F-150 Ecoboost(Work Truck)
2012 Maserati GranTurismo MC Stradale(Daily Driver)
2015 Pace-American 7x16 Enclosed Trailer
2014 American Mfg 6x10 High Side Utility Trailer
Old 02-25-2014, 01:16 PM
LawnSite Member

GPS tracking

We sell the gpstrackit brand most of them are sold to the racers for there race trailers. the units are very small 2''X2''X.5'' and are made for bikes and water craft. you can check the units out at gpstrackit.com they have some really cool stuff.
last year I sold 2 standers to a customer from KC that had his trailer stole from his drive while he was out to dinner. The bad people are everywhere.

Weather man just said 9 degrees where is spring?
Old 02-25-2014, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB Gary View Post
We sell the gpstrackit brand most of them are sold to the racers for there race trailers. the units are very small 2''X2''X.5'' and are made for bikes and water craft. you can check the units out at gpstrackit.com they have some really cool stuff.
last year I sold 2 standers to a customer from KC that had his trailer stole from his drive while he was out to dinner. The bad people are everywhere.

No kidding (about the weather)!!! I'm in Georgia, and it's supposed to be in the 20's to start March...UGHHH!!
Old 02-25-2014, 02:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB Gary View Post

What's the price just for basic GPS service for one trailer or mower to buy the machine and then monthly?