Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-21-2014, 09:54 PM
grassbutler's Avatar
grassbutler grassbutler is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 41
Toro Grand Stand 36 or 40 ??

Im looking at adding a Toro Grand Stand to my fleet this year. I will probably put this with my 52 Gravely Pro Turn ZTR........ other trailer will have a Pro Line 36 W/B with a 48 Gravely Pro Turn ZTR...... I plan on running Gator G6's most likely on the new Grand Stand....... Just curious on anyone's experience yeah or nay on the 36" vs. 40" with the Grandstands.....
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-22-2014, 12:46 AM
TPendagast's Avatar
TPendagast TPendagast is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Wasilla, AK
Posts: 3,056
just chuckling over your mix of gravel and toro…

Why do you put one toro with one gravely?

Why don't you just run gravleys or toros?

IS there a reason why you would buy a Toro Grandstand instead of a Gravely pro stance, yet you buy gravely Zs instead of Toro Zs?

IF I was your dealer I'd just give you a great deal just to make you stick with one brand!

In my experience, with gates, and tight areas, a 40 or a 44 is more desirable than a 36… I usually go for a 36 because most companies don't offer a 40/44 deck.
But when Toro was making the 44 SFS deck I ran them exclusively over 36s.

Besides… I think the grandstand looks weird in a 36"
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-22-2014, 09:20 AM
grassbutler's Avatar
grassbutler grassbutler is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
just chuckling over your mix of gravel and toro…

Why do you put one toro with one gravely?

Why don't you just run gravleys or toros?

IS there a reason why you would buy a Toro Grandstand instead of a Gravely pro stance, yet you buy gravely Zs instead of Toro Zs?

IF I was your dealer I'd just give you a great deal just to make you stick with one brand!

In my experience, with gates, and tight areas, a 40 or a 44 is more desirable than a 36… I usually go for a 36 because most companies don't offer a 40/44 deck.
But when Toro was making the 44 SFS deck I ran them exclusively over 36s.

Besides… I think the grandstand looks weird in a 36"
Gravely doesn't make a 36 or 40 pro stance. They have older 34 inch that looks like a kids power wheel machine. I prefer the t bar design on the walk behinds. ( back up is a 44 inch pro line that is a 95 model I have had for 15 years). I had a gravely 36 I bought new in 2000 maybe. Didn't like the pistol grips and the pulley being so glide the the small tires. Also ran a 260z at that time - which was very very good. My gravely z's are ok. Has some warranty issues out of the 52. (Sheared off 3 engine mount bolts and a failed hydro trans) bought the 48 when the 52 was down last summer out of need ( 44 pro line broke a drive belt the morning after the 52 gravely hydro went out)... Hindsight I probably should have gone with a toro z or grandstand last summer. My gravely dealer knows me. Not easy to work with - hides when I show up abd Toro dealer I use is easy to work with -- matter of fact I was gonna purchase a unit Friday. He told me to wait until mid march for thier dealers day abd I'd save 23% off of msrp or 9% off his price. (800$).

Anyway all of my gates are 48 or 60. One or two custom 44" gate. So the grandstand 36" or 40" will work. I'm leaning towards the extra 4 inches.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-22-2014, 02:51 PM
TPendagast's Avatar
TPendagast TPendagast is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Wasilla, AK
Posts: 3,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by grassbutler View Post
Gravely doesn't make a 36 or 40 pro stance. They have older 34 inch that looks like a kids power wheel machine. I prefer the t bar design on the walk behinds. ( back up is a 44 inch pro line that is a 95 model I have had for 15 years). I had a gravely 36 I bought new in 2000 maybe. Didn't like the pistol grips and the pulley being so glide the the small tires. Also ran a 260z at that time - which was very very good. My gravely z's are ok. Has some warranty issues out of the 52. (Sheared off 3 engine mount bolts and a failed hydro trans) bought the 48 when the 52 was down last summer out of need ( 44 pro line broke a drive belt the morning after the 52 gravely hydro went out)... Hindsight I probably should have gone with a toro z or grandstand last summer. My gravely dealer knows me. Not easy to work with - hides when I show up abd Toro dealer I use is easy to work with -- matter of fact I was gonna purchase a unit Friday. He told me to wait until mid march for thier dealers day abd I'd save 23% off of msrp or 9% off his price. (800$).

Anyway all of my gates are 48 or 60. One or two custom 44" gate. So the grandstand 36" or 40" will work. I'm leaning towards the extra 4 inches.
Posted via Mobile Device

Curious, I mixed Toros with my exmarks because I preferred the Tbar as well.
TBar SFS deck where ever did you go?

Gravely doesn't make a small deck pro stance?
I saw one last season? I know it was new, because the guy just bought it… (you're right it does look like a big wheel machine)

Gravely was KING of the 34" deck for a while…did they stop doing that? (I rarely go to the gravely dealer…because they never have any time for you too busy with their other brands, like wacker neussen… they just don't move many machines)

I dig toro… I used to be a dealer.
Strongly considering starting up a new one in fact.
But I want to run everything, Toro mowers, Toro Dingos, Toro Irrigation…. Haven't gotten a deal together yet…but Im brewing it.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-22-2014, 03:12 PM
jbell36 jbell36 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: KANSAS
Posts: 1,214
here's my .02¢…i agree, either go all toro or all gravely, but that's not a deal breaker…i think the 40" decks make absolutely zero sense, i would absolutely get the 36"…i've always thought 36", 44", 52" just make sense, solid 8" increments…36" and 52" decks use the same length blade also so they are interchangeable, or you can have an extra set that will fit either machine as backups…40" decks should be discontinued in my opinion, i'm actually really surprised that 44" decks aren't mainstream like they were on the toro walk behinds in the 90's, that was THE machine to have
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-22-2014, 03:14 PM
jbell36 jbell36 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: KANSAS
Posts: 1,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
Curious, I mixed Toros with my exmarks because I preferred the Tbar as well.
TBar SFS deck where ever did you go?

Gravely doesn't make a small deck pro stance?
I saw one last season? I know it was new, because the guy just bought it… (you're right it does look like a big wheel machine)

Gravely was KING of the 34" deck for a while…did they stop doing that? (I rarely go to the gravely dealer…because they never have any time for you too busy with their other brands, like wacker neussen… they just don't move many machines)

I dig toro… I used to be a dealer.
Strongly considering starting up a new one in fact.
But I want to run everything, Toro mowers, Toro Dingos, Toro Irrigation…. Haven't gotten a deal together yet…but Im brewing it.
that would make way too much sense to offer mowers, landscape machinery, and irrigation supplies in one place, i'm sure toro wouldn't go for it, it's too good of an idea..i agree, it's very smart, but toro will have a problem with it some how some way…i've never seen that done
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-22-2014, 03:57 PM
TPendagast's Avatar
TPendagast TPendagast is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Wasilla, AK
Posts: 3,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbell36 View Post
that would make way too much sense to offer mowers, landscape machinery, and irrigation supplies in one place, i'm sure toro wouldn't go for it, it's too good of an idea..i agree, it's very smart, but toro will have a problem with it some how some way…i've never seen that done
all id need is plants and fertilizer and id be JDL

Ive seen dingos and mowers int he same dealership… I've never seen the irrigation in the same place…

The local toro dealership went under/is for sale (no one knew he existed either..he was a small engine shop that fixed homeowner crap and 'happened to be a 'toro dealer')
So I'm pretty sure I could pick that up.

The local toro irrigation dealer is looking to dump the brand and barely represents it…although they dumped hunter all together last year…might be harder to get that from them, but I might be able to…

Im not sure there IS a dingo dealer is town…so it doesn't exist at all to my knowledge (its ditch witch ,vermeer and bobcat here)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-22-2014, 04:55 PM
grassbutler's Avatar
grassbutler grassbutler is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 41
I have no problem machine brands of machines... Not all the manufacturers offer the same features. Just as both vehicles in my garage are not the same make. that being said.. I am more impressed with the Toro and maybe one day all of it will be Toro. Just trying to Decide between the 36 and 40.. ground force.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-23-2014, 03:21 AM
TPendagast's Avatar
TPendagast TPendagast is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Wasilla, AK
Posts: 3,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by grassbutler View Post
I have no problem machine brands of machines... Not all the manufacturers offer the same features. Just as both vehicles in my garage are not the same make. that being said.. I am more impressed with the Toro and maybe one day all of it will be Toro. Just trying to Decide between the 36 and 40.. ground force.
Have you played with one at all?

The flip up platform and being able to walk behind it is intriguing.
But I haven't put this to any practical use as of yet.
Walking under trees, wet spots it might get stuck in and tricky hilly areas it might be a get edge vs the regular stand on unit forcing you to ride it.

40" Grand stand is my vote.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-23-2014, 01:12 PM
DXN1EL DXN1EL is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 353
36" Drive Tires 18" x 8.5"-8" (46 x 22 - 20 cm)
40" Drive Tires 18" x 9.5"- 8" (45.7 x 24 - 20.3 cm)

Can the tires be "upgraded" to maybe 20" 10" on the 40"?
Isn't Gravely coming with a 36" with fat tires this year?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.com™ - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:20 AM.

Page generated in 0.09394 seconds with 9 queries