Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-21-2014, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newz7151 View Post
wow, could you imagine if you had just put your walls up and then looked into having the expanding foam shot in? Probably would have worked for your ceiling too. http://www.asispray.com/R_foam_insulation.html
Best way to do it, also 5 times the cost.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20seeder View Post
Very nice shop Gravely Guy!!!! I am looking at putting a shop up hopefully at the end of the season. Early on in your thread you mentioned you would do some things differently if you had the extra cash. What would you have done differently? Also how does it heat up? Do you keep it at a certain temp during the winter or just heat it when you work out there? What made you choose the pole barn style over say a conventional wood frame or metal frame shop? Any pointers or tips you would share for someone looking to put in a pole barn shop?
Thanks so much.
If money was no object, I would have made it a drive thru building with doors on both ends so that there was no backing in. I also think it would be nice to have a second story to keep small things or anything without wheels with a small shop area underneath with an overhead door. This way you could heat a small area and work on things instead of heating the entire building.

I haven't been running the heat much until I get everything done because propane is $6 a gallon right now and the heat just pours out the ceiling. I have turned it on and it pretty easily gets the building up to 50 degrees when its below freezing even without the ceiling done. I got a large heater because I will not be leaving it on all the time and I wanted something that could get it up to temp quickly.

I chose a pole barn simply because for a building this tall it was a much more affordable way to go. If you are planning to have a pole barn done, I would first recommend getting laminated nailed/glued posts over solid 6x6 post. I would also be sure to get the building wrapped in house wrap when it's being built. So much easier this way. Also, make sure your builder uses trusses with a rating high enough to support a finished building. Oh and one more thing, ask to see buildings that your builder has put up and pay attention to small things like trim pieces. It's easy for them to cut corners and do sloppy work on trim pieces. This allows wind, water, and rodents to get in. Make sure that they use a piece of rat guard trim around the bottom. Some buildings they don't even put one along the bottom and mice can come right in like there isn't even a wall there.

Quote:
very Nice Did you blow the insulation on the ceiling before you installed the metal. It may be just the way the plastic looks.
No, I still have to do that once the ceiling is done. Planning on 15" for R38.

Quote:
wow, could you imagine if you had just put your walls up and then looked into having the expanding foam shot in? Probably would have worked for your ceiling too. http://www.asispray.com/R_foam_insulation.html
Spray foam is unbelievably expensive and it also voids your metal warranty if you spray it directly against the metal.
Old 02-22-2014, 02:43 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravelyGuy View Post
I haven't been running the heat much until I get everything done because propane is $6 a gallon right now and the heat just pours out the ceiling. I have turned it on and it pretty easily gets the building up to 50 degrees when its below freezing even without the ceiling done. I got a large heater because I will not be leaving it on all the time and I wanted something that could get it up to temp quickly.
Did you look in to a waste oil heater prior to your purchase of the one you have? In any case, it'll be nice once you have your bigassfan installed and can run it in the winter to circulate the heat back down.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:15 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Did you look in to a waste oil heater prior to your purchase of the one you have? In any case, it'll be nice once you have your bigassfan installed and can run it in the winter to circulate the heat back down.
No I didn't, probably should have. Propane was $2 a gallon when I installed it. Now it's near $6 if you can even get it. Hopefully it doesn't stay like this.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-23-2014, 04:03 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravelyGuy View Post
No I didn't, probably should have. Propane was $2 a gallon when I installed it. Now it's near $6 if you can even get it. Hopefully it doesn't stay like this.
Posted via Mobile Device
No kidding.. a wood stove and helpful fans to keep from running the furnace, but damned if the propane runs out the showers are going to be cold since the WH is propane.

If you have a good supply of wood, scrap pallets, free scrap anything to burn, the little stand alone stoves http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too..._346054_346054 might be a nice quick addition to your shop, add in a 24" fan to blow across it and a heat reclaimer http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...4974_200024974 and I bet it would heat up nicely.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
No kidding.. a wood stove and helpful fans to keep from running the furnace, but damned if the propane runs out the showers are going to be cold since the WH is propane.

If you have a good supply of wood, scrap pallets, free scrap anything to burn, the little stand alone stoves http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too..._346054_346054 might be a nice quick addition to your shop, add in a 24" fan to blow across it and a heat reclaimer http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...4974_200024974 and I bet it would heat up nicely.
A friend has that same setup in his 50x30 metal shop it works great. He looks for new construction and get all the scraps he can haul.

Training them early
Old 02-23-2014, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:

Thank you for the links. That's a good inexpensive idea.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-27-2014, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The ceiling is done!
Attached Images

Old 02-27-2014, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Looks GREAT!!
Old 02-28-2014, 11:29 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Looking good!
Toro