Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-18-2014, 01:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
Cadzilla,

Are you single and actually doing all your own paperwork and equipment/vehicle maintenance?

I believe your #'s actually but I have a 13 year old son that needs a dad. The last 5 years have passed me by trying to keep my head above water. My marriage is already trashed ruined [just a mere formality to part Co. now] and much blame from her has been directed on the lawn biz. Many of your are married to women who get the basics of helping their man [book keeping any kind of real biz support] out on any significant level. She never got that memo and never will. Completely beyond her and can't be fixed.

I was working another biz up until recently but I'm glad that is over. I want to be able to have a pseudo normal life with time for recreation and rest and something to look forward other than another long day [7 days a week] I don't want to pay for it in blood or loss of $. Not there yet but hope to be there this year.

This brings up an important point. I have a long term girlfriend but live alone and have no children other than a few dogs and a cat. I have zero distractions when I am in the zone and it takes concentration, dedication and being left alone to do what I do.

I often think what it would be like to have a wife and kids running about, or some other distraction but I don't have any so I am able to focus, plan, schedule and stick to it all.

Yes I do it all. I have designed my own website, paperwork, leave behinds, marketing pieces when I used them, truck and trailer setup and lettering and I do my own maint too. I do have a guy fix my machine when it's out of my league and I take my truck to the dealer for service..

I know it's confusing and hard to get for a lot here but remember. I do only applications to lawns or trees and I do not mow. I hate even mowing my own lawn!

I did mow for three years when I started until I grew the fert end to the point I could get as far away from mowing as possible.

Not because it isn't good honorable work. It is simply not my profession, expertise, and not what I do or can do.

There is not nearly as much profit margin or ability to drive big revenue as a solo op in mowing as there is Lawn and Tree applications.

By a long shot.

If I mowed only.....I imagine 100K would be an outstanding season.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I should mention it helps to be a little O.C.D-ish

Old 02-18-2014, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Member

I am very new to this site but not new to the lawn care world. In fact this is my first post on here but my eighth season doing what I do. My services consist of mowing ONLY. My overhead/headaches/books/paperwork/supplies are very minimum. I wouldnt call myself completely solo seeing as I have a full time helper. He shows up every morning and brings only labor to the table. I run a 14ft trailer with two zero turns, two edgers, two trimmers, and two blowers. Thats it thats all the equipment i own/use. I take care of 210-220 residential yards every season that i have obtained over the past few years from scratch using a different kind of flyer format/delivering system than i have heard discussed on here. I refuse to do commercial bc of bad past experiences. I am blessed to live in the deep south where mowing season begins the middle of feb and goes to the beginning of dec. Through the years i have trimmed the lower accounts as well as the farther away ones. Every account i have is within 3 miles south, east, and west of my own residence. The minimum i charge is 50 dollars and the majority of my accounts are just that. Eighty percent of my customers want their lawn mowed every two weeks where the rest are on a 10 day circuit. With all that said i average between 20 and 25 lawns a day (weather permitting) 5 days a week. If I did every account every other week (which I dont) and they were all 50 dollars (which they arent) then I make 5,500 a week which comes to 220,000 the 40 months i mow. That would be my gross. My net would be that minus my helper, gas, blades, string, belts, oil, maintenance, repairs, ect.. I buy all new equip every 3 to four years cash. I do nothing the two months im not mowing except travel and relax. I love my low stress high paying job. Anything you guys that have been doing this longer than me wanna suggest im all ears
Old 02-18-2014, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc228 View Post
I am very new to this site but not new to the lawn care world. In fact this is my first post on here but my eighth season doing what I do. My services consist of mowing ONLY. My overhead/headaches/books/paperwork/supplies are very minimum. I wouldnt call myself completely solo seeing as I have a full time helper. He shows up every morning and brings only labor to the table. I run a 14ft trailer with two zero turns, two edgers, two trimmers, and two blowers. Thats it thats all the equipment i own/use. I take care of 210-220 residential yards every season that i have obtained over the past few years from scratch using a different kind of flyer format/delivering system than i have heard discussed on here. I refuse to do commercial bc of bad past experiences. I am blessed to live in the deep south where mowing season begins the middle of feb and goes to the beginning of dec. Through the years i have trimmed the lower accounts as well as the farther away ones. Every account i have is within 3 miles south, east, and west of my own residence. The minimum i charge is 50 dollars and the majority of my accounts are just that. Eighty percent of my customers want their lawn mowed every two weeks where the rest are on a 10 day circuit. With all that said i average between 20 and 25 lawns a day (weather permitting) 5 days a week. If I did every account every other week (which I dont) and they were all 50 dollars (which they arent) then I make 5,500 a week which comes to 220,000 the 40 months i mow. That would be my gross. My net would be that minus my helper, gas, blades, string, belts, oil, maintenance, repairs, ect.. I buy all new equip every 3 to four years cash. I do nothing the two months im not mowing except travel and relax. I love my low stress high paying job. Anything you guys that have been doing this longer than me wanna suggest im all ears
Marc I would be interested in your flyer method if you don't mind to share it. My email is ohiolaker@gmail.com. I would also like to pick your brain if possible. Thanks
Old 02-18-2014, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 205mx View Post
I run a LEAN 6 figure business. I just don't buy this 125k solo except in extreme situations such as mowing through 2am.

Also guys using a book keeper.
Also guys using a part time helper when you get 3 mulch jobs in a row.

Also, guys doing more work outside of general lawn and landscape. (Totally cool)

I simply chose a different life. I hired early. Pay myself a more than fair wage, and am home by 3 most days.
Posted via Mobile Device
I don't buy any of it. There's two sides of the story and then there's the fairy tale. When someone say they not tooting they're own horn, that is exactly what they are doing, beep beeep. but when you work for it as the title of this thread SOLO that is something you hold dear to yourself and don't ever put it out there and risk it being shot down by on lookers. You've worked for it. you've earned. When you start talking about it loosely like oh i did it on my own, no body helped me, I'm solo, my success is due to my efforts alone, management skills, yea sure buddy.

The dude that is saying I cannot, doesn't know that I would work him over and make him think about an early retirement. what he not telling you besides the business 101 fluff is the other half of the story. Only what's necessary to look good, feel good. Solo, yea dream on. The secret to success is something that will always be bottled up and sold over the counter no different from the lotto. Why, because there is always someone willing to buy it.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadzilla View Post
I should mention it helps to be a little O.C.D-ish

Glad your OCD doesn't work against you. Mine cut both ways and can cause a "lost in the details drill" or "over think cycle".

If you only sprayed lawns how would this hurt your income. This is the single glitch I seem to run into with clients debating to sign up with me vs a total lawn-tree-shrub Co.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-19-2014, 01:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
Glad your OCD doesn't work against you. Mine cut both ways and can cause a "lost in the details drill" or "over think cycle".

If you only sprayed lawns how would this hurt your income. This is the single glitch I seem to run into with clients debating to sign up with me vs a total lawn-tree-shrub Co.
Posted via Mobile Device
Tree Shrub is less than 15% of my business. 70% is made up of my own lawn accounts and 15% of the work I do is subbed from mowing companies.

I'm not diagnosed OCD. More anal retentive I suppose.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Translation: You can't do it so no one can.

I bill between 5-7500 a week for a 30 week or so growing season. Do the math.

It's not much more than an average Tru Green technician produces.

Any lawn man worth his salt with the work load can do 1500 a day on a ride on in his sleep.

I don't know what you guys are doing wrong.

Maybe instead of shooting my feet I should consult!
People on here get all pissy because someone can do something they cant.
Ive seen this stuff for a decade plus here. I always think of the guy in FL with a push mower making bank and everyone hating on him.

My last year solo my NET was just over 125k just mowing, with some snow on the side. Charging 2-3x more for fert n squirt per stop vs mowing with a good route and tight schedule you could very easily gross over 200k.....**** 300-400k is doable after you built it up. And if you are that efficient, you will have a very nice net as well
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-22-2014, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well once I do my 40,000th $25 lawn, I will be a millionaire!
Old 02-23-2014, 06:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Never said I do 300K. I said I do 200K.

Believe what you want. I work 7 days a week for the entire growing season. I have a large number of residential s and then commercials and athletic fields I do on weekends.

Again guys. I am not bragging here. I am simpy telling you whats possible for a solo operator (in the so called fert and squirt business).

The math works. The timing works. If you have the amount of work you need to do this, you could do it too.

I have over 400 residential accounts and 30 commercials or so ranging in size from 10,000 sq feet to 35 acres.
Gadzilla What you are doing will work and if you know how to run a Z $1500 is easy. A few question if this is outside of the Thread then would u PM me.
Your smallest lawn is 10K?
Did you target market that size?
How did you target market if that is what you did?
Number of accounts does not matter it is all about the SQFT or do you use some other estimating method?
Do you alter your price for larger properties?
You have to go though a truck load of fert what about storage of product.

Training them early