Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-24-2014, 12:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Cross ported hydraulic systems

Does it help mower on hills and ditches or just make easier on machine. Comparing mowers wondered how much difference it actually makes.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It is designed to keep the cooler fluid going to the hydro working the hardest. Heat is the enemy, and wears parts faster. Keeping things cooler is a big plus IMO.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What exactly is a cross ported hydro system? I assume you're talking JD cause that's the only one I ever heard mention that..
Old 02-24-2014, 01:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaver View Post
What exactly is a cross ported hydro system? I assume you're talking JD cause that's the only one I ever heard mention that..
This is from Deere's site-

*"The hydrostatic drive included with the R-Series Mowers features two 13-cc unitized hydraulic pumps combined with commercial-grade, heavy-duty 13-cc wheel motors into a single unit. The R-Series drive units feature cross porting, where the hydraulic fluid from the side doing the least work is filtered and then fed into the input of the side doing the most work. This ensures that the coolest fluid is going into the side working the hardest to ensure best performance during extended hillside operation in the same direction."*
Old 02-24-2014, 02:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That's what I thought it was.. I don't know if I would like that or not.. I mean if one side goes out or tears up & has metal shavings in it wouldn't it just go right on through to the other side? I got the same hydro system on my mower. The unitized pump/wheel motor set-up, but with fans on top, but not the cross porting...
Old 02-24-2014, 02:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

No, the fluid gets filtered before going to the other side when needed. The hydros each have a large fan on top as well.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh.. I guess as long as it's filtered.. I know some dealers, if a wheel motor or pump goes bad & they find a lot of shaving they want to or suggest replacing everything.. Ouch$$$... Where as on mine if something did happen all i would have to do is replace just one side.. I guess..