Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #81  
Old 02-23-2014, 04:11 PM
americanlawn's Avatar
americanlawn americanlawn is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: midwest
Posts: 5,638
Welp -- it ain't gunna be powder blue or powder grey like the old days. I still remember my pants being stiffer than a board.

For most lawns >> R-1 will be 17-0-5 50% XCU (Agrium) with 0.38 Barricade. R-2 will be slow release fert with several other nutrients to retain turf color/health during late spring. Barricade is a no brainer for us, cuz it has never let us down. Same with our post emergent weed controls -- got that nailed down too.

It's the "nutrient issue" that I need to learn more about. Problem there is -- so many variables. Even land grant universities and fert companies disagree. (and I can't blame them)

Still waiting for my FREE T-shirt
__________________
Proud subscriber of TURF Magazine. (thanks Ron)
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 02-23-2014, 04:21 PM
greendoctor greendoctor is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 7,411
Was Powder Blue any good as a turf fertilizer? Heard of it, never got to use it. Other than the hassles of handling it, any real minuses for it?
__________________
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin 1775

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 02-23-2014, 05:49 PM
heritage's Avatar
heritage heritage is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlawn View Post
Welp -- it ain't gunna be powder blue or powder grey like the old days. I still remember my pants being stiffer than a board.

For most lawns >> R-1 will be 17-0-5 50% XCU (Agrium) with 0.38 Barricade. R-2 will be slow release fert with several other nutrients to retain turf color/health during late spring. Barricade is a no brainer for us, cuz it has never let us down. Same with our post emergent weed controls -- got that nailed down too.

It's the "nutrient issue" that I need to learn more about. Problem there is -- so many variables. Even land grant universities and fert companies disagree. (and I can't blame them)

Still waiting for my FREE T-shirt
Larry,

Would be good if the Land Grant Universities and Fert. companies could "Bridge" an agreement LOL.

Totally agree with Barricade and it is still my favorite too.

Have a great season and continued success towards green turf with less N inputs.
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 02-23-2014, 06:04 PM
heritage's Avatar
heritage heritage is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
Was Powder Blue any good as a turf fertilizer? Heard of it, never got to use it. Other than the hassles of handling it, any real minuses for it?
Hi Doc,

Yes the Powder Blue (Urea Formaldehyde) was a good fit for certain situations as it was available over 1- 1.5 years by microbial release only.

Back in the day I would either apply 1.5 lbs Actual N (single app) for the last fall application OR the 1st Spring Application, on KBG lawns that had irrigation. This worked well and we would see far less surge growth in May-June and continued green through the summer months.

I would use a 35 mesh screen and had to run the Lesco Green nozzle and higher pressures (75 psi at the gun) so more gal per 1000.

Also wanted to keep the mix from settling out with a diaphragm pump. Used nalcotrol ( anti drift) for a while as it made water thicker then switched to Kelzan as the suspension aid.

I think now a days it is just used for deep root injection of large trees.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 02-23-2014, 06:17 PM
greendoctor greendoctor is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 7,411
The rate of Nitroform I would need for a 12 month growing season would be incredible. 1.5 lb of N would work for a short growing season. Urea formaldehyde is similar to IBDU. Something that was the new thing on the market many years ago. Now, IBDU is only for the once in a lifetime fertilizer tablets for transplanting trees. Either UF or IBDU would work for me if they were soil incorporated at high rates. I could see a use for Nitroform when dealing with grow in situations.
__________________
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin 1775

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 02-24-2014, 05:45 PM
turfmd101 turfmd101 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: orlando fl
Posts: 482
A great fertilizer in the lesco days was a urea formaldehyde base blend 14-0-14 CTRN. It was the novex blend. I can't remember the micro package but the blend kicked butt. It was just to expensive for most to think about but it was worth the price because it would last 5-6 months even with heavy rain. I did a year study with Floyd Perry on sports turf with the novex line when I was on the south Florida sports turf committee with him. What was amazing was after some football fields at certain highschools were treated. Some of the coaches had scappled there Bermuda and it looked ugly, relay bad. Then within two weeks there was full recovery with a deep blue/green with minimal cultural effort. The blends were priced in the high 30's to low 40's but well worth it. Three apps per field that year were done and even had great recovery weekly on fields that had weekly game play.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 02-24-2014, 08:21 PM
RigglePLC's Avatar
RigglePLC RigglePLC is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Grand Rapids MI
Posts: 9,425
Oh yeah--1979 was a good year at Tr Green. We used powder blue and her cheaper scaggy little sister "powder gray" (larger particles). But it did not suspend well even with major hydraulic-motor-powered paddle agitation shaft through the center of the tank. Plugged a lot of filters. Left a chalky residue on everything we sprayed. Release of nitrogen was very slow--I think--or maybe never.
We solved the fert burn problem eventually--dropped the potash, and reduced the urea nitrogen in hot weather. I remember changing the fill charts when the temps went over 80 and even less at 85 and still less at 90.
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 02-24-2014, 10:21 PM
heritage's Avatar
heritage heritage is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by turfmd101 View Post
A great fertilizer in the lesco days was a urea formaldehyde base blend 14-0-14 CTRN. It was the novex blend. I can't remember the micro package but the blend kicked butt. It was just to expensive for most to think about but it was worth the price because it would last 5-6 months even with heavy rain. I did a year study with Floyd Perry on sports turf with the novex line when I was on the south Florida sports turf committee with him. What was amazing was after some football fields at certain highschools were treated. Some of the coaches had scappled there Bermuda and it looked ugly, relay bad. Then within two weeks there was full recovery with a deep blue/green with minimal cultural effort. The blends were priced in the high 30's to low 40's but well worth it. Three apps per field that year were done and even had great recovery weekly on fields that had weekly game play.
Posted via Mobile Device
Turfmd,

That was one product I looked at but never pulled the trigger on.....THE cost was through the roof. Perhaps one of the additives in their complex was Zinc Ammonium Acetate.

The results you posted above sound impressive. A sports turf managers dream in that situation.

I did like Nutralene better than the Nitroform and in the last years before going to 100% Liquid apps I was a big fan of MESA from Lebanon. They too have some Zinc Ammonium Acetate added in.
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 02-24-2014, 10:27 PM
heritage's Avatar
heritage heritage is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Oh yeah--1979 was a good year at Tr Green. We used powder blue and her cheaper scaggy little sister "powder gray" (larger particles). But it did not suspend well even with major hydraulic-motor-powered paddle agitation shaft through the center of the tank. Plugged a lot of filters. Left a chalky residue on everything we sprayed. Release of nitrogen was very slow--I think--or maybe never.
We solved the fert burn problem eventually--dropped the potash, and reduced the urea nitrogen in hot weather. I remember changing the fill charts when the temps went over 80 and even less at 85 and still less at 90.
Going back some years there Riggle.

Brought me back in my mind to 1978 when I was just a 13 year old pup. Spread my first prilled urea on my parents front lawn in Late March and jeez had me a hay field to mow for 6 weeks! That was when I became "Hooked" on the green industry. Now a days a lot less 46-0-0 LOL!
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 02-25-2014, 12:16 AM
turfmd101 turfmd101 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: orlando fl
Posts: 482
I need to correct my last post of 14-0-14. It was over a decade ago. Here is the blend.
LESCO® TURF FERTILIZER WITH MICRONUTRIENTS ICRONUTRIENTS 19-2-19 19-2-19 For use in Rotary Spreaders Only 22.7 kg COVERS 957 square meters DIRECTIONS FOR USE: This LESCO product is a turf fertilizer for use on all lawn areas. The best results with this product are obtained when it is applied to actively growing grass, and watered into the turf soon after application. Avoid mowing immediately following application to prevent pickup. GUARANTEED MINIMUM ANALYSIS TOTAL NITROGEN (N) …………………………………...19.00% 1.80% Ammoniacal Nitrogen 3.20% Urea Nitrogen 8.60% Water Insoluble Nitrogen* 5.40% Other Water Soluble Nitrogen* AVAILABLE PHOSPHATE (PO)……………………….2.00% CAUTION: This product contains iron and should only be used as recommended. It may prove harmful if misused. 25 SOLUBLE POTASH (KO).........................................................19.00% 2 SULPHUR (S)...............................................................................8.60% 8.60% Combined Sulfur (S) Sweep or blow the fertilizer off walks and painted surfaces following application to avoid discoloration. Recommended applications are at the rate of 0.225 kg and 0.45 kg of nitrogen and potash per 100 square meters. Actual rate and timing of application will vary with weather, soil and turf conditions. Please refer to provincial turf guidelines. This product is intended to be used as part of complete lawn feeding product For additional product assistance, call LESCO, Inc. in Cleveland, Ohio at 1800-321-5325. COVERAGE: 22.7 kg of LESCO 19-2-19 Fertilizer covers approximately 957 square meters at the application rate of 0.225 kg and 0.45 kg of nitrogen and potash (2.37 kg of fertilizer) per 100 square meters. ROTARY SPREADER SETTINGS: Apply LESCO Fertilizers and Combination Products only with a rotary spreader. The following rotary spreader settings are approximate for the application rates of 0.225 kg and 0.45 kg of nitrogen and potash per 100 square meters. You may need to adjust the setting depending on walking speed, spreader condition and product. SETTINGS K2O/100 sq meters ROTARY SPREADER LESCO alibration Gauge C SCOTTS® R8A Cyclone® or Spyker® LESCO Pendulum Lel y® 0.225kg 0.45kg #10 #13 H 3 16 3 I˝ 3˝ 20 3˝II IRON (Fe) Total.............................................................................2.50% 1.00% Water Soluble Iron (Fe) Ingredients: Methylenediurea, Dimethylenetriurea, Urea, Ammonium Phosphate, Ammonium Sulfate, Sulfate of Potash, Iron Oxide, Iron Sulfate. *14.00% Slowly Available Urea Nitrogen from Methylenediurea and Dimethylenetriurea. F1560
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.com™ - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:18 PM.

Page generated in 0.07292 seconds with 10 queries