Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-24-2014, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsden&Son View Post
Nice work man....

What's the story with the brand spankin new Steiner?

She's a beauty!
I was looking into buying it, I was on the fence about it but for the price and speed of cut I just couldn't make myself buy it. I bought another zero turn instead. It wasn't as productive for me as a zero is.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

For sure, I agree with that completely...

I love Steiners and Ventracs but when it comes right down to it, they just can't really get past the homeowner stage...

In terms of cutting, just like you said, they aren't close to as productive as a zero turn, especially because they literally cannot zero turn!

All the attachments that they are capable of running are great but at the price they want for one with enough horsepower, I would much rather have a mini skid or a compact tractor. (A real compact tractor, like a bobcat or kubota 30-40 horse)

Again, for the homeowner with acreage, they are amazing. You can mow grass in the morning and work on heavier projects in the afternoon.

Must have been fun using it though huh? I have always wondered how those decks do.... I run Walkers so I am familiar with the out front style but the Steiners and Ventracs are obviously different than Walker... How did you like the QOC of the deck?
Old 02-25-2014, 12:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
For sure, I agree with that completely...

I love Steiners and Ventracs but when it comes right down to it, they just can't really get past the homeowner stage...

In terms of cutting, just like you said, they aren't close to as productive as a zero turn, especially because they literally cannot zero turn!

All the attachments that they are capable of running are great but at the price they want for one with enough horsepower, I would much rather have a mini skid or a compact tractor. (A real compact tractor, like a bobcat or kubota 30-40 horse)

Again, for the homeowner with acreage, they are amazing. You can mow grass in the morning and work on heavier projects in the afternoon.

Must have been fun using it though huh? I have always wondered how those decks do.... I run Walkers so I am familiar with the out front style but the Steiners and Ventracs are obviously different than Walker... How did you like the QOC of the deck?
The ventrac dealer in town has been trying to get me to buy one for a few years, he keeps telling me it does the job of a skid steer and tractor. I have a bobcat and several tractors I just don't see the advantage,unless someone does not have tractors or a skid steer. For a ventrac with duals, the attachments etc is close to 30k. I didn't see where the cut quality was anywhere as good as the scag or even the gravely. The stainer really liked to drink the gas! living in the hilly area I haven't had the need for one yet, my accounts are mostly large areas, cutting side by side the the zero turn was a swath and a half ahead of me on my first pass and I unloaded and hit the grass first.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hahahaha!!!

That dealer is straight up DREAMING!!!!

The loader on a Ventrac doesn't have anywhere near the capacity as a Bobcat...

And a nice 30 horse Kubota or Bobcat compact tractor rules over the Ventrac because of the FEL and the 3 point of the back... Compact tractors are actually getting really popular with smaller landcaping companies now-a-days... I am on the fence between a mini skid and a compact tractor myself.... I am a solo op and find myself renting the Bobcat MT a bunch.... It's make me be able to bang out bigger landscaping jobs in 1 to 2 days that would easily take 4 doing hand labor....

I can't believe what a good deal you got on the Bobcat!!!! Way to go man!
Old 02-25-2014, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I understand the disadvantages of them but for steep hills and side walk snow removal i wouldn't want anything else try doing several 2000+ feet of sidewalks without them....
Old 02-25-2014, 02:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thats a nice rig.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh for sure Lawnman... I think they are AWESOME!!!

What I am saying is that for me, starting from scratch, it would make so much more sense to spend 30 G's on a compact tractor or mini skid....

However, if you have a Ventrac, I'm sure it does great for you...

You got any attachments for it other than the snowblower? You got the harley rake?
Old 02-25-2014, 03:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:

What I am saying is that for me, starting from scratch, it would make so much more sense to spend 30 G's on a compact tractor or mini skid....

You got any attachments for it other than the snowblower? You got the harley rake?
I'm not saying that they are not useful. I'm sure if I had one I would love it, but I couldn't justify it. If I was in your shoes I would probably buy the mini skid. I rent one a few times a year, still not enough to buy one. With a Harley rake it is an amazing machine. Small enough to get in places that you would normally have to do with a shovel. I honestly have only used a tractor a few times for landscaping.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-25-2014, 03:59 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:

Don't have the Harley rake but am actually looking at it for this season. And yes the snow blower, finish mower, and power broom and that actually Is what seems to work best for sidewalks the snow blower rarely leaves the shop and it's got the cab and spreader, which makes it the beast it is...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-26-2014, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnMan19 View Post
Don't have the Harley rake but am actually looking at it for this season. And yes the snow blower, finish mower, and power broom and that actually Is what seems to work best for sidewalks the snow blower rarely leaves the shop and it's got the cab and spreader, which makes it the beast it is...
Posted via Mobile Device
The college I go to has 10 or so and the school board that I plow for uses them for the sidewalks at the schools. The broom is nice to get it to pavement fast. But all of my snow contracts that I have to do the sidewalks are just 5 gas stations and a couple large businesses with small amount of sidewalk.
Posted via Mobile Device