Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-09-2014, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ya, sorry, I didn't mean it to come across like I was telling you what to do, just trying to give a little helpful advice. Still working on my morning coffee...lol

Ya, I just end up using crappy wood that we remove from customers property. Most of it isn't great, but some is - burn it each winter to help cut back on the heating bills =D.

The snow season has been good but I'm enjoying this little break for a week or so - doing some ice fishing tomorrow.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Member

No offense taken. First year with our wood stove and loving the cost savings. Got a late start with wood though and had to do pick up loads from up north to get seasoned.
I like the idea of picking it up from customers too.
Yeah the break is nice.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-24-2014, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Wakey Wakey....let's go folks. What are your plans for this coming season? March is typically our last month to make preparations before it's "GO TIME". How was everyones' winter? Can't believe it went by so fast. Hardly had time to relax at all.

Jason
Old 02-24-2014, 05:19 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm still in winter mode

Maybe looking at some properties this week. Plans are to streamline operations, increase sales by minimum of 10% and hopefully start a shop build.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-24-2014, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Member

hey guys, late fall thru this winter season have been busy. i have attended the regular trade shows and horticultural events, along with attending the lectures and seminars, just to stay up to date and ahead of the game to be profitable. i do consider myself to be lucky to have 100% client retention again this season. looking forward to the up coming flower shows and hardscape demonstrations in the coming weeks. i do hope that the coming spring will be more dry, it was rough last year, wet for so many days. i wish you all a healthy and profitable 2014.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Below freezing for the next week straight with lows approaching zero, solid foot of snow on the ground if not more. I'm hoping winter makes an abrupt exit just as it did not waste anytime arriving. I would love to hit the ground running 1st week in April. That always used to be the target start date. I think I was the only moron to buy a mower in November instead of outfitting my truck for plowing/winter services. Due to other work I was unable to commit to any serious plowing this year anyway. Judging by what is popping up on CL I think I made out quite well making a last minute end of season purchase instead of waiting until now when everyone will be asking premium prices.

I'm going to wait until a decent thaw and the majority of the snow is gone before sending out some post cards, reconnecting with past customers, and making a marketing push to hopefully pick up where I left off and gain a handful (10-20) of quality full service residential accounts. If spring clean ups go well and I get enough of them I'll have my truck set up with a Fisher plow so I will have everything in place to offer FT year round service. The increased and sustained heating and energy costs due to the colder than usual temps have not been fun or helped the cause.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Wait.. its almost March??
Old 02-28-2014, 01:29 AM
LawnSite Member

Waiting to place some bids on some apartments and a shopping plaza in mid March. It seems a bit late for bids but the pm company says that's when they like to do it. Working on tightening my local mowing route and adding 20-30 residential customers. Good luck everyone
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-28-2014, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dig419 View Post
hey guys, late fall thru this winter season have been busy. i have attended the regular trade shows and horticultural events, along with attending the lectures and seminars, just to stay up to date and ahead of the game to be profitable. i do consider myself to be lucky to have 100% client retention again this season. looking forward to the up coming flower shows and hardscape demonstrations in the coming weeks. i do hope that the coming spring will be more dry, it was rough last year, wet for so many days. i wish you all a healthy and profitable 2014.

What are you finding for shows, seminars, etc here in Maine? I live Down East so we don't really see anything for this type of thing. The Bangor Garden show is the nearest. Just wondering what else is out there.

2012 GMC 3500HD
9'2" Boss Power V Snowplow
Sno-Ex Sand Pro
2001 Ford F350 7.3 Diesel
9'2" Boss Power VXT Snowplow
1.75 yard sander
2013 22' Suretrac HD Skid Steer trailer
2012 24' Suretrac HD Deckover trailer
2011 72" Kubota ZD331 Diesel
2009 60" Kubota ZD331 Diesel (with bagger)
Stihl trimmers, echo PAS
Old 02-28-2014, 12:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ya, and the Bangor Garden show ain't much...hahaha. I wish I could attend more - there are some good ones in Mass and southern Maine in the winter, but they fill up fast, and if you pre-register for classes, then you usually pay in advance, then we get hit with a few snow storms and I'm too busy to make it anyways. lol