Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-23-2014, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Member

How do you manage all of your business?

I recently have been trying to think of ways to organize my business so that I can maximize my time and profitability this coming summer. I am only 15 (soon to be 16) so I want solutions that won't break the bank, but will offer easy and efficient management of my schedule and customer notes.

I need something virtually free and accessible on iOS. Route mapping is not necessary because this will be my 4th season and I am lucky enough to have plenty of good quality customers all within a 5 minute walk from my house. Other potentially pertinent information includes that I will only be doing mowing, trimming, and edging, and anything else I will subcontract to a friend.

Now don't get the idea that I'm not interested in what you use for managing your business just because it might not be the solution for my current situation. Very soon I will be taking my business full size and I want to know what EVERYONE uses so if you're reading this, scroll down, and start typing in that reply box!
Old 02-23-2014, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

A calendar, a ledger, and a notepad. If you want integration put it all in a briefcase. How big of a creek you gonna be in when you drop your electronic anything in one? Or like me when it falls out of your pocket somewhere while you were mowing?

Last edited by twomancrew; 02-23-2014 at 08:37 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExmarkBoy View Post
I recently have been trying to think of ways to organize my business so that I can maximize my time and profitability this coming summer. I am only 15 (soon to be 16) so I want solutions that won't break the bank, but will offer easy and efficient management of my schedule and customer notes.

I need something virtually free and accessible on iOS. Route mapping is not necessary because this will be my 4th season and I am lucky enough to have plenty of good quality customers all within a 5 minute walk from my house. Other potentially pertinent information includes that I will only be doing mowing, trimming, and edging, and anything else I will subcontract to a friend.

Now don't get the idea that I'm not interested in what you use for managing your business just because it might not be the solution for my current situation. Very soon I will be taking my business full size and I want to know what EVERYONE uses so if you're reading this, scroll down, and start typing in that reply box!
Actually Locqus would probably be a great fit. Completely free app and lets your process credit cards, manage customers, log time, and offers geo-location ability. Young guns and tech are the new wave, congrats on the business.

Proud owner of Shamrock Landscaping LLC
Old 02-25-2014, 01:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locqus View Post
Actually Locqus would probably be a great fit. Completely free app and lets your process credit cards, manage customers, log time, and offers geo-location ability. Young guns and tech are the new wave, congrats on the business.
I'm just curious: how the heck do you make money? My brother owns a software business so I know a fair amount about the business. Seems to me that $12 a month couldn't even come close to covering the expenses of the free users.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twomancrew View Post
A calendar, a ledger, and a notepad. If you want integration put it all in a briefcase. How big of a creek you gonna be in when you drop your electronic anything in one? Or like me when it falls out of your pocket somewhere while you were mowing?
Yeah I hate when it falls out. I'm thinking about getting a phone mount and putting it on the lazer so I don't have to worry about that anymore.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:50 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
I'm just curious: how the heck do you make money? My brother owns a software business so I know a fair amount about the business. Seems to me that $12 a month couldn't even come close to covering the expenses of the free users.

He's a start up, he's new.

He gets X number of users. they use it, they like it, they refer it.
How much does testimonials of real time users and word of mouth referrals cost a company in marketing?

Once he's getting off the ground, he charges a minimal fee. Some people drop off because it's not free any more, but people will be hooked and continue using the system because they see the value.

In 5 years or so, he's up running full tilt and charging full price for a tried and true fully tested system that is worth what he's asking for with with plenty of users to vouch for it.

That's how he makes money, it's called investment. It takes time. Fred flintstone get rich quick schemes, rarely work… unless you're cutco , mary kay or one of the other long lasting pyramid schemes.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:59 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

/:/:/:/:/:/:/;/;/:/;/:/
Attached Images

Old 02-25-2014, 08:49 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I do a few things that ill share here.
My excel spreadsheet is very helpful for record keeping. With simple techniques you can have it add all the totals up, for example monthly totals for sales or expenses, and yearly total for gross sales, and yearly net profit (expenses - gross sales).
I have different tabs for
Customer: (customer#, name, address, contact info, notes)
Gross Sales: Every job I complete I record (customer#, date, job description, $ amount)
Expenses: Any expense I incur I record, separated into 3 categories: materials or job site expense, labor, or marketing/ equipment. I also describe what it is I bought (mulch, pole pruner, 10,00 flyers, etc...), who I bought it from (home depot, nursery, etc...) and the date. If you want to be super accurate you can record the receipt # but this would be very time consuming.
Vendor Contacts: phone of different vendors
Business plan: business plan by month
Money Owed: customer number, date, description, amount for customers who don't pay right when I finish the job.
You can also make projections as to what you will make each month.

Also I have a clipboard where I keep estimate forms, calendar, business cards. This comes with me where I go.

I also have file folders where I keep all my receipts, just in case I need to return something, or verify a purchase.

That's all I can think of right now. I hope this helps you.
Thanks
Old 02-25-2014, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
He's a start up, he's new.

He gets X number of users. they use it, they like it, they refer it.
How much does testimonials of real time users and word of mouth referrals cost a company in marketing?

Once he's getting off the ground, he charges a minimal fee. Some people drop off because it's not free any more, but people will be hooked and continue using the system because they see the value.

In 5 years or so, he's up running full tilt and charging full price for a tried and true fully tested system that is worth what he's asking for with with plenty of users to vouch for it.

That's how he makes money, it's called investment. It takes time. Fred flintstone get rich quick schemes, rarely work… unless you're cutco , mary kay or one of the other long lasting pyramid schemes.

Charging per users per month is very 2000 lol. There are more ways than one of making money in this space. Charging your users up front is an old tried and true way of making money sure. Spamming users with ads for a free product is another dirty way, personally hate it (of which we will also never do). I can guarantee we will never charge our users a fee per month for our app service. OBD truck tracking will come in at $10-$15/month. If we had wanted to be another one of the crowd we would definitely follow that model, isn't that what EVERYONE else does in this space? Like he said, charge per month, proven system etc. etc. etc.

You can avoid the 12$/per user by signing up for credit card use, and you don't even have to swipe anything to avoid it. Also the app is free to begin with. Any other thoughts on how we monetize? lol

This is 2014, change is the name of the game. We intend to do just that to this industry. We have some pretty cool ways in which we monetize, all of which is a bit different from the pack.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
We won't and don't plan on having a lot of pay per month users. We will monetize through opt in credit card processing.

Last edited by Locqus; 02-25-2014 at 03:26 PM.