Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-25-2014, 04:16 AM
LawnSite Member

More than one member here is in disagreement with your price, but I get tagged Don't have to prove to anyone anything, everybody has their on/off days. Back pedaling happens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
the first thing they would do to start off the season would be a spring clean up, so all the "take over" stuff with 2-3 guys for a full day would/could be addressed in the initial spring clean up.

This is more of the on going grass cut pricing discussion…I think a lot of people here are having a hard time separating the apples from the oranges, give one price for apples and one for oranges.

You can't charge $800 per cut because the first time you get there it will take a long time, then try to recover that over the course of the full season, one cut at a time. That would be like saying "I have to mulch the beds, so I will mulch while I'm cutting the grass, so my price is $1200 per cut, $800 for mowing and $400 per week for the mulch"

you could look at this from a reverse engineering perspective.

What do most guys charge for a one acre residential?

$50-$60 if they aren't bagging it?
Maybe it's $80 if there is a fence to trim along and several trees?

$80 x 8 one acre houses is $640.00
Not $800.

BUT…there isn't 8 acre lawns here. Sure there are more buildings to trim around than the average lot.
but there still isn't more than 4 acres of turf, max, at this site, judging from the ariel.
4 x 80 = $320.00
You don't have to drive/load/unload 4 times…so the guy could figure $300.00 because of the saved drive time.
On the high side, you could figure 4 $80 lawns with extra trim of $30 each which would be 4 x $110 or $440.00.

But that's another way to look at that still isn't $800.00

You also have to consider with the tree cover that property does have, sun light is "filtered" at best…you aren't going to have heavy top growth in large areas of that turf, which means…not as much weekly trimming, because the grass isn't growth as thick and as tall and with the established, mature trees many of them are just going to have a lot of dirt around the base of the trees where the grass is failing from lack of light, competition for water and nutrients with the trees and years of mower tires dancing circles around the base of those trees.

Which is why I think it's closer to 63 minutes of trim that 120 minutes.
The 36" wb I proposed using is going to get a lot of that it's self, and the wide open sunny areas are going to be made short work of with a 52" rider.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:30 AM
LawnSite Member

Oh and heck I didn't even factor in eating lunch which I'm guessing wouldn't be necessary either to some people.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-25-2014, 05:02 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olajoe808 View Post
More than one member here is in disagreement with your price, but I get tagged Don't have to prove to anyone anything, everybody has their on/off days. Back pedaling happens!

I didn't tag you.. per se, I just jumped off what you were saying and through in einstein guys comment (I can't figure out who to multi quote different posts)

TNTOutdoor.

You give an ariel photo and THEN afterwards talk about terraces and hills?
There is no way to see that.
Never had information before.
So no way to factor it into price.

Also this walking back and forth thing to switch mowers? big waste of time.
Customer isn't going to pay for that, they are going with the $300 guy who can pay for his own walking back and forth to switch mowers.

I priced this with my ferris Evos in mind (36" and 52")
So mine are going to be faster and more agile than your DDs which you are using much more because there isn't as much wide open ZTR style mowing on this property.

So again it can often come to right equipment for the right job.
Your mower set up might not be anything like your competition, they could be all over this place like flies with 4 wright standers and be in and out in 1.5 hours.

The 'Wright stander' way of doing things is trimmer trap with back pack on back…haul out to your area, set trimmer and backpack down in a mulch bed…mow area, trim area, blow area…move on to next area.

No walking all over back and forth to get a trimmer and then a back pack.
Lawn Wright/Clip Lawn care kinda invented that way of mowing and shared it with tons of dudes in the early 2000s.

So you really don't know who gave that $300 price and why. they might now everything like that and only target properties they can get away with that system on.
In which case they aren't walking up and down any hills.

36" standers and 48" standers could do the whole place.

Trimming your own mow area is the most efficient way to do things, no back tracking, no searching out and guessing what needs to be trimmed.

It sounds like from your description you got a lot of back and forth and definitely sounds like you are having guys trim before the area is mowed.
that's also inefficient.
Trim after you mow, then you only need to trim what needs it, and several areas especially in the hot months can get skipped entirely, because the deck of the machine overhangs enough to get it.

Lots of unnecessary steps in your description.

Myself and countless thousands spent quite a bit of time in hot desserts wearing NBC "MOPP" suits and gas masks, humping 70 packs around…. walking under shaded trees wearing an 18 pound backpack blower in 85 degree heat isn't 'oppressive' to some people….especially if you;re a mexican…they call that 'spring' where they come from.
so it's all a matter of perception…
You're perception is it's hard, and anothers is, it isn't.

Some people might send their mexicans there and don't care if it's hot and hilly, and aren't going to charge extra because their workers are thirsty and uncomfortable.

But mentioning hills and terraces might help, before you are trying to get a price comparison.
And I still think Evo's/standers and the Lawn Wright attack method will alleviate much of what your concerned with.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
I didn't tag you.. per se, I just jumped off what you were saying and through in einstein guys comment (I can't figure out who to multi quote different posts)

TNTOutdoor.

You give an ariel photo and THEN afterwards talk about terraces and hills?
There is no way to see that.
Never had information before.
So no way to factor it into price.

Also this walking back and forth thing to switch mowers? big waste of time.
Customer isn't going to pay for that, they are going with the $300 guy who can pay for his own walking back and forth to switch mowers.

I priced this with my ferris Evos in mind (36" and 52")
So mine are going to be faster and more agile than your DDs which you are using much more because there isn't as much wide open ZTR style mowing on this property.

So again it can often come to right equipment for the right job.
Your mower set up might not be anything like your competition, they could be all over this place like flies with 4 wright standers and be in and out in 1.5 hours.

The 'Wright stander' way of doing things is trimmer trap with back pack on back…haul out to your area, set trimmer and backpack down in a mulch bed…mow area, trim area, blow area…move on to next area.

No walking all over back and forth to get a trimmer and then a back pack.
Lawn Wright/Clip Lawn care kinda invented that way of mowing and shared it with tons of dudes in the early 2000s.

So you really don't know who gave that $300 price and why. they might now everything like that and only target properties they can get away with that system on.
In which case they aren't walking up and down any hills.

36" standers and 48" standers could do the whole place.

Trimming your own mow area is the most efficient way to do things, no back tracking, no searching out and guessing what needs to be trimmed.

It sounds like from your description you got a lot of back and forth and definitely sounds like you are having guys trim before the area is mowed.
that's also inefficient.
Trim after you mow, then you only need to trim what needs it, and several areas especially in the hot months can get skipped entirely, because the deck of the machine overhangs enough to get it.

Lots of unnecessary steps in your description.

Myself and countless thousands spent quite a bit of time in hot desserts wearing NBC "MOPP" suits and gas masks, humping 70 packs around…. walking under shaded trees wearing an 18 pound backpack blower in 85 degree heat isn't 'oppressive' to some people….especially if you;re a mexican…they call that 'spring' where they come from.
so it's all a matter of perception…
You're perception is it's hard, and anothers is, it isn't.

Some people might send their mexicans there and don't care if it's hot and hilly, and aren't going to charge extra because their workers are thirsty and uncomfortable.

But mentioning hills and terraces might help, before you are trying to get a price comparison.
And I still think Evo's/standers and the Lawn Wright attack method will alleviate much of what your concerned with.
I'm pretty sure the hills were mentioned after the guy that told me he'd do it in 2 hours. The taking time switching mowers was directed to the solo guys. Although I guess you could trailer hitch the 48 to the zero turn and then maybe set the 36 by your feet and then throw some handhelds on each to go from "area to area". Other problem is that there are no "areas" the entire complex flows together.

So are you riding your stander up and down the hills while holding your trimmer to hit the curbs, edge the sidewalks, and trim around the buildings, patios and retaining walls throughout the hills? I'm not even sure the stand on would want anything to do with a few of them and definitely not any of those evos.

And ya my guys trim during mowing. For one I don't believe in the oh my deck got it method. The deck doesn't edge.... And for 2 by now they have enough common sense to know where and where not to hit if need be.

Like you said I should have known better than to post a pic with no indication of elevation changes or being able to see all the sidewalks and what not and expect people to give me good numbers. Obviously some people get it and some don't.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-25-2014, 05:34 AM
LawnSite Member

And mid summer around here gets to a 100 with 100% humidity. I don't care if your mexi or spent time somewhere hot in a trash bag suit. Cutting 8 hours non stop solo is putting you down eventually which was what the whole heat rant was about. 3 guys can cycle in and out on mowers and trimmer so not so bad.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-25-2014, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

This is why I never participate in these threads. Jesus Christ.

You people saying 200-300 are out of your mind. Do you charge $20 an hour or something??

And to whoever thinks it's going to take an hour to trim this place? Lmao

Hard to give a price on something you have no experience in. No one was arguing about it having 8 acres of turf. You don't bid by the acre you bid by the hour.

Say how long should it take to trim 8 acres of turf? No one knows. But looking at this map you can tell
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-25-2014, 09:38 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
This is why I never participate in these threads. Jesus Christ.

You people saying 200-300 are out of your mind. Do you charge $20 an hour or something??

And to whoever thinks it's going to take an hour to trim this place? Lmao

Hard to give a price on something you have no experience in. No one was arguing about it having 8 acres of turf. You don't bid by the acre you bid by the hour.

Say how long should it take to trim 8 acres of turf? No one knows. But looking at this map you can tell
Posted via Mobile Device
Oh you have 8 acres I've never seen before? Well the tag on my mower says 5.8 acres per hour at 80% efficiency. I've been mowing for awhile so I'll be able to mow 99.9% efficient so 8 acres in 1.34 hours I'll charge $62. Oh dam this 8 acres is awfully bumpy and I just cut for 3 hours and made $20.46 before gas, insurance, wear and tear. Wooohooo
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-25-2014, 11:30 AM
LawnSite Member

Just got a call saying the leaf removal guys showed up with 2 rakes and a tarp. Maybe I'll go buy some popcorn and sit in my truck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-25-2014, 11:33 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

That type of property we would want $100-120 per acre of lawn and we would measure the actual grass area. Do it all the time for fert estimates so big deal there. When you start looking at lawns like this is hard to track the time and its easy to over or under estimate the work. Knowing the real area square footage helps ground you and takes the guess work out. My guess is from the pic we would be $400-500 per cut there. As far as fall clean up goes thats looking to be about $3000 perhaps more.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnToutdoors View Post
Just got a call saying the leaf removal guys showed up with 2 rakes and a tarp. Maybe I'll go buy some popcorn and sit in my truck.
Posted via Mobile Device
lol You all don't have snow?