Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-25-2014, 09:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

No free T-shirts, only a free one year subscription to Lawnsite.com
Old 02-25-2014, 03:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That sucks. Heretage & you all others -- cool stuff for sure. I wish somebody could do some side-to-side comparisons with different formulations of micros/sulfur/etc/etc. I would, but I have to save money to buy my own tee shirts.

I remember my ChemLawn truck number in 1979 Texas. #809. We used powder blue just once in awhile (it was a pretty color, and I liked it). But for the most part, we used powder grey (cheaper). Had to clean the strainer twice a day, and it looked like concrete (explains the slow release factor).

Land grant universities always seem to be behind the times regarding new technology. Then you have chemical & fert companies trying to sell their newest stuff. Odd thing is that some products that have been around for decades still outperform some of the "new stuff" IMO.

Common thread universities & fert companies have in common >> both rely on "guys in the field" to get their info. I have the highest respect for you guys that shared info regarding this topic. Thank you.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlawn View Post
That sucks. Heretage & you all others -- cool stuff for sure. I wish somebody could do some side-to-side comparisons with different formulations of micros/sulfur/etc/etc. I would, but I have to save money to buy my own tee shirts.

I remember my ChemLawn truck number in 1979 Texas. #809. We used powder blue just once in awhile (it was a pretty color, and I liked it). But for the most part, we used powder grey (cheaper). Had to clean the strainer twice a day, and it looked like concrete (explains the slow release factor).

Land grant universities always seem to be behind the times regarding new technology. Then you have chemical & fert companies trying to sell their newest stuff. Odd thing is that some products that have been around for decades still outperform some of the "new stuff" IMO.

Common thread universities & fert companies have in common >> both rely on "guys in the field" to get their info. I have the highest respect for you guys that shared info regarding this topic. Thank you.
Larry,

Much respect as well. Press on and move forward with some outside the box thinking from time to time LOL.

Here is a link to have a look at.....

http://solvita.com/soil
Old 02-26-2014, 12:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlawn View Post

Both the University and the local vendors look to me many times to tell them what is working and not working or else why something is doing something unexpected. I am not cheap, clients do not hold back when it comes to paying me, therefore, I have to produce.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 03-07-2014, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think the best approach to being able to claim your program IS better is to show that you don't use a program, but you prefer to use your individually tailored treatment applications for their specific landscape.

I don't believe many companies offer this. Most companies purchase fert by the pallet. Same blend for all the INDIVIDUAL lawns. This is poor management in multiple ways. Sure it's cheap.

Ask your customer if they would use a doctor that treated all his patients the same or would you prefer a doctor who would treat you as an INDIVIDUAL. There's numerous reasons not to apply the same blend to different lawns. Sometimes sure. But not as a standard business practice. Control products, most likely, but not nutrients.

The biggest difference any application company can claim is a "TRUE"customized program.

Plus that any viable program is solely dependent on its architect. Then sell "YOU"!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-09-2014, 01:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

That is the core of my operation. I am not spreading what everyone else does. Applications are soil test and experience driven. Does a doctor prescribe medication without doing blood work? That is the question I ask prospective clients.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738