Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-26-2014, 11:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The marketing , and members have said it .
Standers are a fad simple. Dealers say all the NEW GUYS LOVE THEM, and the new guys think it's cool. It easier to sell cool and to the uninformed it's real cool.

I agree the standers do have a market and companies do need them to a point , then cool kicks in and they skyrocket .

I have run walkers since 1998,99 2000 and I currently one a stander and hands down walker is better, for the yard its in.

To each his own they make it , we need it , we buy it

I hate those designer grass seeds where you mow it 5 times a year and never grows, thanks again cutting edge seeds.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-26-2014, 12:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

"Standers are a fad."

If you say so. It's one heck of a fad.

I bet Z's were a fad too. Same thing with line\string trimmers.

Somebody write this down in history. We'll all come back and laugh about it someday.

I like my guns like Obama likes his voters: Undocumented

Criminals obey gun laws like politicians follow their oaths of office
Old 02-26-2014, 12:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Standers/stand-ons are a technological milestone. Fad? Really??

For regional areas that need to/choose to bag grass...then stand-on's are not all that great since the bagger widens the mower by a fair margin.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 02-26-2014, 01:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfmd101 View Post
Half time overtime, also known as Chinese overtime because we fell under agriculture? Doing residential? For TG??? Come on labor department catch up on my 80 hours a week at $3 something an hour.
Lawn care and Landscaping does not fall under Agg. The NAICS code for lawn servicing is 561730. It's parent sectors are:

• 56 - Administrative and Support and Waste Management and Remediation Services http://www.naicscode.com/Search/More...etail.asp?N=56
• 561 - Administrative and Support Services
• 5617 - Services to Buildings and Dwellings
• 56173 - Landscaping Services

http://www.naicscode.com/search/More...l.asp?N=561730

Agg codes start with 11. http://www.naicscode.com/Search/More...etail.asp?N=11

If you were putting 80 hour weeks in and not getting the full overtime rate, then you need to contact the DOL.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Lawn care and Landscaping does not fall under Agg. The NAICS code for lawn servicing is 561730. It's parent sectors are:

• 56 - Administrative and Support and Waste Management and Remediation Services http://www.naicscode.com/Search/More...etail.asp?N=56
• 561 - Administrative and Support Services
• 5617 - Services to Buildings and Dwellings
• 56173 - Landscaping Services

http://www.naicscode.com/search/More...l.asp?N=561730

Agg codes start with 11. http://www.naicscode.com/Search/More...etail.asp?N=11

If you were putting 80 hour weeks in and not getting the full overtime rate, then you need to contact the DOL.
That was back in 86 to 90. That's what management said about Ag. I never investigated it. I was young and a little nieave at the time. Thanks for the info. I always felt cheated! $750 daily production goals averaging $30 per stop and I don't leave any stones unturned.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-26-2014, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I tell you guys what , find
Me 1, just 1 besides mine at a dealer near here I would be shocked to hexx , no one , not one contractor new or used have them, it is why I tried them.
Here they are no good.when compaired to loc in the area.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-03-2014, 10:56 AM
LawnSite Member

I am new here, good discussion. I am shamed to relay I paid big bucks for a 21" "commercial grade" mower (brand not really pertinent) that does not have a choke or throttle! I knew better! Fine, I guess for regular season, warm/hot days but in fall/early spring it takes 2 people to get it started/keep it running with primer til it warms up enough to run on its own. Also will never agree it is a good idea the operator can't have any discression on engine speed for conditions and best interests of the engine. OK I will name the brand, Exmark! For a commercial grade company charging commercial grade rates on their products they should not put this type stuff out. Also just made aware that as greatly designed as their current standers are, they skimped on the air filter on the 36" by not putting a canister air filter on it! That is sooo 80s/90s. It can be cobbled-in I know, but it raises questions in my mind. Am going with a machine that is 100% commercial grade from start to finish!
Old 03-06-2014, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro 455 View Post
My trimmer is a Stihl 4-mix with the flip up gas cap. Best trimmer I've ever owned. Lower tone to the motor. Better torque. Gas cap is quick and effective. Yeah, it has a little learning curve. But it's a better cap.

I had a Toro t-bar WB and never liked it. Bought it new and wore it out. (OK, beat it to death is more like it.) I do like my new Exmark's ECS controls though.
I agree with both of these statements. It's like I wrote 'em myself. I own a lot of Stihl equipment... and it all runs great... even the oldest pieces. I'm ditto on the Toro T-bar - never liked it but I love the hydro ECS.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexschultz1 View Post
I've been through 10-15 of those damn gas caps. If you don't twist it on all the way and lock it, then the plastic center breaks and won't secure the cap. The next thing u know the side of your body is covered in gas and half the tank emptied out on someone's lawn. Garbage, the machine is great, but the caps are garbage...
I don't get this. I bought two Stihls and yes, the cap was crap, took 'em back to the dealer, he slapped on the "new improved cap" and never a problem again. Since then I've probably bought six more Stihl weedeaters and never a problem. Did you guys NOT take the weedeaters back for the recall on bad caps??
Old 03-06-2014, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Member

subscribing... thanks....