Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-28-2014, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipster View Post
^^^^^^
The reality is that the N from ammonium sulfate is the same as the N from any other ammoniacal source. But, this particular fertilizer drops the pH in the area next to the roots much more effectively than urea, which allows the plant to take up other nutrients it wasnít getting in the proper amounts when just urea was applied. The NH4-N wasnít any better from AmSulf than it was from urea. The same result could have been gained from regular pH maintenance, then use of urea.
It seems to me that you just said "There is more than one way to skin a cat".

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 02-28-2014, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Not quite. If you want to read something into it (other than the stated meaning), it would probably be: "even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while."

This thread is a perfect example of what can happen when you don't fully understand what you're doing. Perhaps green"doc" had some underlying causes that were masked by the fertilizer he was using. Without knowing what he's doing, he recommends this fert to everybody. What then happens is that those who listen to this advice end up spending more money for different fert without getting any added benefit. Similarly, Joe Blow from High-pH Town thinks AmSulf is the best, so he recommends it to everybody. Then, those who don't know what they're doing think that AmSulf is some magic potion and spend more money without any added benefit.

Fertilizers aren't magic potions. All we need to do is understand what's happening around us.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfmd101 View Post
Greendoc. Could you use a sand based fertilizer. Using a low, overall percentage of NPK per fifty pound bag. Doing light amounts of nutrients, but going on a monthly application applying lots of sand carrier. In an attempt to greater the percentage of sand to clay ratio. Would this better your chances?
Posted via Mobile Device
To better my chances, I would have to strip out all of the dirt and grow the grass on sand. There would be no improvement until most of the material in the grass root zone was replaced with sand. The worst sites I deal with have dirt pasted on top of sand or coral. The perks of living in paradise and the ignorant people who freak out any time they need to grow grass on sand. "there's sand, you better put dirt on it". One site I deal with was actually too salty to grow seashore paspalum. Some brain surgeon allowed tons of dirt from inland to be pasted on top of acres of prime beach front land. That area is now on a program to displace salts. On inland sites, I do well not to introduce anything in any amount if I do not want it in the soil. Volcanic clay holds on to everything applied to it like no one's business. Those areas are where the centipede is at. The more salt tolerant grasses are a case of can, but should not because those soils are naturally acidic. Centipede grows there with little fuss and looks great provided no potentially toxic elements are introduced

Last time I checked, silica sand was approaching $500 a ton here. It takes about 1.5 tons to topdress 1000 sq ft no more than 1/2 thick. Spreading any kind of bulky dry material is a nightmare. It is a challenge to get my 36" wide mower into many properties. Forget a topdressing machine. Even a push spreader is a PITA. There is a good reason for me spraying on foot anything that has to go on a lawn. I can walk into the lawn with an engine drive backpack and cover it long before I can get a topdresser or push spreader in most of them. Imagine having all manner of obstacles to things on wheels. I have seen landscapers hire cranes to lift trees or 1 ton bags of material into people's back lawns.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 03-01-2014, 05:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Greendoctor and I have know each other for a long time and shared many techniques, trials, errors, and thoughts about many different turfs and nutrients for different climates and soil conditions. His advise is based on tried and true results. He gives freely without condemning or criticizing any poster. There are those that postulate and prove their inability to provide meaningful advise. Those who do-preform those who don't....well. For those, there's a place down a r.abbit hole where a little girl by the name of Alice visited. And I thought the only azzhole was in California.

Last edited by RAlmaroad; 03-01-2014 at 05:21 AM.