Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-27-2014, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowDogSVC View Post
I'm not big on "grabbing labor" because of the aforementioned liabilities but sometimes you can find some hard workers that can turn into reliable helpers that way.

If you can get a machine down there, that would make things go a lot faster. I don't like the idea of "roping off" unless you are experienced with that and carry workman's comp. Real easy to get hurt.. think bees and being tied off. It has happened to us.

Nothing wrong with doing it by hand. I started with a Poulan chainsaw, DR mower, and truck before moving to a tractor and bush hog.
Sometimes doing it by hand makes it look really nice.
With all the rain Tennessee has had, if you could burn in small piles in the ravine, that would be better than trying to mow or ball up that bramble to chip or haul off. That's nasty stuff and I remember it from living in the South.
I attached a couple of pics showing a job on a cliff face that was 100% hand work except for where I brought the mulcher in to dispose of everything. It was vines, brush, dead wood, logs, grapevine, and brambles.

Nothing wrong with doing it by hand if you plan it well and if you are new to this type of clearing.. go for it.
I've said this before, but you really do some great work! I could honestly look at your before and after pics all day. That looks very good!

-----------------------------------
My Equipment:
2011 F-150 Ecoboost(Work Truck)
2012 Maserati GranTurismo MC Stradale(Daily Driver)
2015 Pace-American 7x16 Enclosed Trailer
2014 American Mfg 6x10 High Side Utility Trailer
Old 02-27-2014, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thx! The guys that do my clearing for that type of work have worked with me for over a decade. I've got another crew that I use for cedar clearing too. They do pretty good work I admit. My point with posting those pics is a man with a saw, pole saw, power pruner, loppers and a rake can make a difference. That property on the river had never been cleared. It was a jungle and even had flood debris piled against it. The guys used a backpack blower to clean off the rocks at the end and it really looked good.

I have to give the hand crew credit on that one. I just made the brush and flood debris disappear. We could barely see the rocks when we started and you couldn't walk to the end of the property it was so thick.
Attached Images

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 02-27-2014, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks for a great discussion guys! I appreciate all the advice. I wish I could get some equipment in there, when I get pics posted, you will see, it just isn't happening. In some areas you might sneak a mini ex but it is tight, full of mature trees, steep hillsides with undercut banks and just looks like it is a man power job. I have quite a bit of experience on a rope and agree that "help off the street" is not a good idea for jobs like this. I have access to a couple of guys that do their own thing but can be persuaded to come along for the right price I spoke to our local equipment rental company and he's going to set me up with a couple of extra tools for the job. I submit my bid in a couple of days so I'll keep ya'll posted.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Good luck. Get some pics of you rappelling on the sides of the ravine. Hopefully you can get the job and do it before all the leaves come out.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 02-28-2014, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhistlePig Hollow View Post
thanks for a great discussion guys! I appreciate all the advice. I wish I could get some equipment in there, when I get pics posted, you will see, it just isn't happening. In some areas you might sneak a mini ex but it is tight, full of mature trees, steep hillsides with undercut banks and just looks like it is a man power job. I have quite a bit of experience on a rope and agree that "help off the street" is not a good idea for jobs like this. I have access to a couple of guys that do their own thing but can be persuaded to come along for the right price I spoke to our local equipment rental company and he's going to set me up with a couple of extra tools for the job. I submit my bid in a couple of days so I'll keep ya'll posted.
Frankly I think `hand` work is preferable to a machine, although the machine work has it`s place....I use the machine (which ever one) to get the bulk done, but always have to come behind and clean up, and neaten up by hand....Your work looks great, and must give you good satisfaction Tony