Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-10-2014, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

In the long run, it's better to go bigger than not. I couldn't imagine doing what I do with a Ranger or similar size truck. If you get a 1/2-ton, get a V8, no point in a V6 because fuel economy won't be any better and you will be limited on power. Also, I don't hesitate to plow, tow, and haul with my 1/2-ton, and mine's proof it can do it.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Member

I would agree with Schannault, if you can talk your dad into it, go V8. The gas milage won't be any better when you are towing, and you will have much more power just in day to day use.
14', 16' Mowing
18' Dump

Lawn Gear
Exmark 36" metro, 14hp belt drive, walk behind
Scag 36" 16hp advantage deck, belt drive, walk behind
Lawnboy 21" 9hp commercial walk behinds x3
All Stihl Handhelds

Tree Gear
All Husquvarna saws: Everything from 14" Climbing to 48" 3/4 Wrap.
Thanks to Petzl, Buckingham, and Yale I am still alive!

And I'm 18...
Old 02-11-2014, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan51 View Post
I would agree with Schannault, if you can talk your dad into it, go V8. The gas milage won't be any better when you are towing, and you will have much more power just in day to day use.
I agree with you guys, but my dad's hang up is that I am a new driver in a highly congested area with a big vehicle. I passed driver's education with flying colors, but he is still concerned. I am going to try to sell him on an older half ton v8, like say a 2001.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-12-2014, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townhouse Yards View Post
I agree with you guys, but my dad's hang up is that I am a new driver in a highly congested area with a big vehicle. I passed driver's education with flying colors, but he is still concerned. I am going to try to sell him on an older half ton v8, like say a 2001.
Posted via Mobile Device
Trial by fire. It's amazing how much better a driver you become all around when you start driving a bigger vehicle, and then pulling a trailer. The bigger you drive, the easier it gets. You can see everything around you. If I were you, I'd try to find an old 4.6L V8 F150. I'd say 5.4L but even though they're great engines with high miles on them they can be finicky, but if you find one in decent shape, it'd be good. BTW thanks for being honest about you're getting the truck. A lot of people walk around showing pictures and equip like its theirs, when its really not lol
My first truck was an 81 F150 2wd reg cab longbed with a carbed 302 V8. You want to talk about gas guzzling?!
Old 02-17-2014, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchannaultROLC View Post
Trial by fire. It's amazing how much better a driver you become all around when you start driving a bigger vehicle, and then pulling a trailer. The bigger you drive, the easier it gets. You can see everything around you. If I were you, I'd try to find an old 4.6L V8 F150. I'd say 5.4L but even though they're great engines with high miles on them they can be finicky, but if you find one in decent shape, it'd be good. BTW thanks for being honest about you're getting the truck. A lot of people walk around showing pictures and equip like its theirs, when its really not lol
My first truck was an 81 F150 2wd reg cab longbed with a carbed 302 V8. You want to talk about gas guzzling?!
Well, after much deliberation, my dad will only accept purchasing a 2003 or a 2004 Toyota Tundra v6, 2 wheel drive. He said this truck is just to get me through the rest of high school and college. Then I can get whatever truck I would like. I figure since I am paying for gas, repairs, and half of insurance, it will be worth it. Thanks to all who gave their opinions, I really do value them. I will post some pictures and info of the truck on the thread once I get it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-17-2014, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Member

3/4 ton

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallihergreen View Post
For $10,000 you should be able to get a clean newer (2002-2005) 3/4 ton.
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree with some of the posts that you should get at least a 3/4 ton I have a GMC 2500 HD 3/4 ton 4x4 and at times I wish I had a 1 ton. I can fit a bit over 3 yards of mulch on it but it puts a strain on the leaf springs. I cant imagine sing anything more lightweight. Plus sometimes I haul cobble stones or heavy brush loads where the extra weight limit came in handy. My 1st work truck was an old Dodge Ram that had been custom fitted into a 1 ton. Also figure to be pulling a trailer and perhaps dumping the grass clippings in the bed. They can get pretty heavy. Good luck in your new venture!
Old 02-28-2014, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsyardcare View Post
I agree with some of the posts that you should get at least a 3/4 ton I have a GMC 2500 HD 3/4 ton 4x4 and at times I wish I had a 1 ton. I can fit a bit over 3 yards of mulch on it but it puts a strain on the leaf springs. I cant imagine sing anything more lightweight. Plus sometimes I haul cobble stones or heavy brush loads where the extra weight limit came in handy. My 1st work truck was an old Dodge Ram that had been custom fitted into a 1 ton. Also figure to be pulling a trailer and perhaps dumping the grass clippings in the bed. They can get pretty heavy. Good luck in your new venture!
Thanks for the response and good luck! Sadly, a 3/4 ton is not an option.

Question for anyone familiar with Chevrolet Silverado's: Is the 4.3 V6 a decent, reliable engine? Reason is, it is very hard to find a v6 tundra, so my dad also wants to look at silverado v6's, which are more common.
Toro Gas Straight Shaft Trimmer
Stihl BR 600 Backpack Blower
Stihl HSE 60 Hedge Trimmer
Stihl MS 180 C Chainsaw
Toro Corded Electric Blower/Shredder
Hand tools, gas can, wheel barrow

My 2014 picture thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=423362
Old 03-01-2014, 01:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:

Is the 4.3 V6 a decent, reliable engine?
I have an 07 4.3 1500, its not fast but it makes a good work truck. I've towed 5000lbs, and regularly tow 2,500lbs and it does great. Truck never struggles with that much weight. Reliability..... from 25,000 miles to 33,000 miles I've had 2 trim pieces fall off, thermostat go up, and pulleys/belts replaced. I am not thrilled with it but it always starts, I would never be afraid of it not starting. My particular truck seems expensive to keep running at only 35000 miles.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:

Question for anyone familiar with Chevrolet Silverado's: Is the 4.3 V6 a decent, reliable engine? Reason is, it is very hard to find a v6 tundra, so my dad also wants to look at silverado v6's, which are more common.
Yeah they been around forever. Be better off with a v8 either way. You'll get better mileage
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-01-2014, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think everyone gets the idea that a bigger truck and a v8 are deffinatly better than a v6, but he has stated many many times that that's not happening, so stop suggesting it!