Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-27-2014, 04:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Fix Weed Killer Patches

Last summer, I accidentally grabbed the wrong weed killer bottle and used a driveway killer in a client's yard. Yes, huge mistake on my part, so I plan on fixing this at my expense. And we were having a drought which made it worse. Luckily, they are some of my nicest clients and didn't get too angry. Now, even in the middle of winter, you can sill see the spots. Short of fertilizer, seed, and water, does anyone have any remedies?
My only saving grace is being in Nebraska, it is a fescue blend so it may not be completely ruined after a little TLC
Old 02-27-2014, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

First thing you got to do is label sprayers.
The only quick remedies is put sod down how big is the damage area
Old 02-27-2014, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If your worried about the chemical still being present, don't be its neutralized and long gone. A little topdress and a good amount of seed. Should be filled in by late spring or stitch some sod in when ground temps reach 60.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-27-2014, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

"driveway killer" that is vague--this is not good if you don't even know what chemical you used. Are you licensed? Is this Ortho Triox (which is supposed to last for a year)? Pramitol? Sahara? Did you overdose it? What rate did you apply?
I suggest you dig up a bit of the soil and plant some grass seed in it, inside you office this week. Compare this with some clean soil and seed. This will prove if the soil is OK or contaminated.

And I agree--its best to carefully patch the spots with new sod. Start early when the weather is still cool.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
"driveway killer" that is vague--this is not good if you don't even know what chemical you used. Are you licensed? Is this Ortho Triox (which is supposed to last for a year)? Pramitol? Sahara? Did you overdose it? What rate did you apply?
I suggest you dig up a bit of the soil and plant some grass seed in it, inside you office this week. Compare this with some clean soil and seed. This will prove if the soil is OK or contaminated.

And I agree--its best to carefully patch the spots with new sod. Start early when the weather is still cool.
I agree with you riggle, the first thing needed to know by all is WHAT was the product that was used. If it is still there then sod may not fix the problem.

Terry
Old 02-28-2014, 03:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Either excavate and discard 12" of soil in the affected areas or cultivate in 20 lb per 1000 sq ft of activated charcoal. Then seed or sod. This is why I am horrified to see products containing imazapyr or prometon sold to homeowners. Last year I consulted on a case of malicious poisoning. Crazy ex threw vegetation killer containing glyphosate and imazapyr all over the yard. Why not. Only $20 a gallon and guaranteed to keep an area dead for a long time.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 02-28-2014, 09:07 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinestBladeLawns View Post
Last summer, I accidentally grabbed the wrong weed killer bottle and used a driveway killer in a client's yard. Yes, huge mistake on my part, so I plan on fixing this at my expense. And we were having a drought which made it worse. Luckily, they are some of my nicest clients and didn't get too angry. Now, even in the middle of winter, you can sill see the spots. Short of fertilizer, seed, and water, does anyone have any remedies?
My only saving grace is being in Nebraska, it is a fescue blend so it may not be completely ruined after a little TLC
First off, don't take anything I am about to say as an insult but as advice. It is obvious you are not knowledgable or licensed to apply chemicals. To do so only makes you look bad. Best to turn this over to someone else until you obtain the knowledge & are properly licensed to perform this service. Actually is costing you time/money to cover your mistakes. In the mean time study, learn and eventually get licensed.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've found these claims of year long effectiveness to be greatly exaggerated. 50% at ninety days was about it. A couple feet of snow melt will surely dilute and leech away any remaining product.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-28-2014, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Member

I picked up a new customer that was telling me. her and her last lawn guy got into it.. and that he did a drive by with few cups of round up ,, he left Big OL streaks in 3 spots . I wanted so bad to ask what she did to piss him off ,, you know i dont want to be next ,, But anyhow , I just thatched it all up good . taken away all the brown ,, seeded heavy .. add a little start fert ,, leaf raked seed into the soil ,, add a little straw .. you be alright ..
Old 03-01-2014, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Member

RigglePLC & ArTurf, since you are so concerned, no I am not licensed. There you go. I have been working in lawn care for years, and recently started on my own. I have the experience applying chemicals, but simply grabbed the wrong one.
It was a RoundUp product, which I typically don't use on clients' lawns, but they called and wanted it done that day. Being one of my best clients, I was available to help them and I offered them either the RoundUp that I had on hand or I could run and get some higher quality stuff. They wanted it done ASAP for some reason, so they went with the RoundUp.
I did not overspray. I know that for a fact. The weeds were not very bad, so if anything I under-sprayed.
As for everyone who provided a solution (you two included) I do appreciate it. I will probably start with Riggle's sod test and then try some regular seed. Gardiner if that worked well for you, hopefully that will work for me.