Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-28-2014, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with the cash business thing. I don't have debt in my business either.
However, if one can get 0% for 36 or 48, and have liquid cash to back the purchase up, then I don't think it is a sin to use that financing to tie up other's money, while yours earns you a little interest, dividends, etc.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 03-01-2014, 01:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashguy207 View Post
Your statement doesn't make sense to me. Debt is Debt. I agree with Tennessee Lawn. From day one i have run my company debt free. My wife and I live that way. No credit cards. The only debt we have is the mortgage on the house. To me it doesn't matter if its new or used I don't want to take the risk in case something happens and i couldn't make the payments. I sleep a lot better at night knowing its paid for .
Well said.

Exactly how we do things. We sleep better at night knowing it's paid for and that no one can come along and change the rules and/or rates just because the economy goes to crap and they're losing money on all those idiots who got in over their heads because they never stopped to think that things could ever go bad, and now can't pay back their debts.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:46 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcl4slc View Post
Sheffield has been a pleasure dealing with. Yard card is terrible on so many levels. Stay away. Customer service is a bunch of Arabs who hang up on you and tell you they can't help you. Do a google search on Yardcard and BBB complaints.
mind sharing some yard card issues?

im curious
Old 05-05-2014, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm knocking on wood as I type this, but I haven't had any problems with Yard Card. As has John Deere, no problems with them either. They have been really easy to deal with. I financed a golf cart with Sheffield one time and did interest only for 3 years. I would pay more than the interest only payment thinking I was knocking down the principal and they were taking that money and putting it towards the next month interest. Took me a few months to catch on, but I vowed then I wouldn't use Sheffield again for anything.

Last edited by boatcapt; 05-05-2014 at 09:08 PM.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I used Sheffield this year. Important thing: 0% for 48 mos, no prepay penalty, will pay off machine by end of season.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 05-06-2014, 12:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashguy207 View Post
Your statement doesn't make sense to me. Debt is Debt. I agree with Tennessee Lawn. From day one i have run my company debt free. My wife and I live that way. No credit cards. The only debt we have is the mortgage on the house. To me it doesn't matter if its new or used I don't want to take the risk in case something happens and i couldn't make the payments. I sleep a lot better at night knowing its paid for .
Good for you but he needs financing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-06-2014, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I use shefield and I use it to my advantage. I make my monthly payments to shefield on my Ink business card (along with all of my business expenses) then pay it off at the end of the month. The benefit? I rack up some serious Ultimate Reward Points from Chase and use them for free airfare, hotel stays or this year a free honeymoon. Highly recommend the chase Ink cards just for the points. Look into it and take advantage of them. If you pay the card off every month, you never pay interest either.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middle Tennessee Lawn View Post
If you cant pay cash dont buy it period!
Posted via Mobile Device
I paid $21k for my Ferris IS3100z and dump trailer.Yes I could have paid cash but did not want to tie up my money for about 3 yrs.I took the 0% for 36 months and used a $160 lawn to pay for it.With some mulching in the spring and leaves in the fall it covered the payment.And I still had the $21k.Otherwise I may have at times used some of that money for gas,or pocket money and maybe missed paying myself back at times.I had already gotten my best price on the equipment when I decided to finance.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:07 AM
LawnSite Member

I financed part of my walker through Sheffield and was very pleased with them. They did it just like financing a car and not like a credit card like most companies.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-21-2014, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Debt is Dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Well said.

Exactly how we do things. We sleep better at night knowing it's paid for and that no one can come along and change the rules and/or rates just because the economy goes to crap and they're losing money on all those idiots who got in over their heads because they never stopped to think that things could ever go bad, and now can't pay back their debts.
Hey Ridin' Green, Middle Tenn. Lawn, & Nashguy 207,
Thank you for your comments!! Debt free is the only way to go.