Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-28-2014, 10:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenningsLandscaping View Post
It depends, I think setting quotas is better. You can try paying minimum wage plus a percentage of gross. Call backs are unpaid. Trugreen does this. And you can't just leave a bill for mowing when you haven't cut the grass so it may work for you.
Posted via Mobile Device
I heard that's what got them in trouble and they aren't paying that anymore. That and expecting X many lawns done per day. which they basically paid per app. Let's not talk about Chinese over time

They've moved to just straight hourly
Old 02-28-2014, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Your required to pay minimum wage this is true. But that part that could snag you on this. Is it over the course of the week or by the hour? That may be open to interpretation. Lets say 4 days your guy hit his numbers and made 20 an hour off his lawn numbers. Then day 5 it rained and he had a few break downs and had to return to the shop and end up doing 2 lawns but was there for 5 hours. We will keep this very simple and assume its 40 hours. So the first 35 hours he made 700 dollars but the last 5 hours he made 20 bucks. For a grand total of 720 now divide that by 40 and he's at 18 an hour. But what if he complains about the low pay on the 5 hour bad day there he only made 4 dollars an hour. Despite paying him well and him making more than twice minimum wage you could still be hit for the hours he missed it.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly's Landscaping View Post
Your required to pay minimum wage this is true. But that part that could snag you on this. Is it over the course of the week or by the hour? That may be open to interpretation. Lets say 4 days your guy hit his numbers and made 20 an hour off his lawn numbers. Then day 5 it rained and he had a few break downs and had to return to the shop and end up doing 2 lawns but was there for 5 hours.
The system is based on a 40 hour work week, so as long as their average hourly pay in a 40 hour work week doesn't fall below minimum then you're good.

http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs54.htm

Don't take this to mean that the overtime law can be abused to this end. If their regular pay is $10 an hour, you can't lower it to avoid paying overtime after 40. If their regular pay is $10 an hour then over time must be $15 an hour.

I can envision some cheating employer paying them $10 an hour up until 40 hours, and then lowering it to $7.25 an hour over 40 hours in order to lower the overtime pay to $10.87 an hour.

Old 02-28-2014, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Say if someone hired a helper, basically trim & blow.. what all would one have to do to be legal? Add them on insurance? Write them a check each wk? 1099 at the end of year?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-28-2014, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
The system is based on a 40 hour work week, so as long as their average hourly pay in a 40 hour work week doesn't fall below minimum then you're good.

http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs54.htm

Don't take this to mean that the overtime law can be abused to this end. If their regular pay is $10 an hour, you can't lower it to avoid paying overtime after 40. If their regular pay is $10 an hour then over time must be $15 an hour.

I can envision some cheating employer paying them $10 an hour up until 40 hours, and then lowering it to $7.25 an hour over 40 hours in order to lower the overtime pay to $10.87 an hour.
Trugreen. It's called chinese over time lol

Weaver - 1099 isn't correct form I know that. You got insurance, workers comp, payroll, taxes, etc.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow.. really. .. just for a basic helper. . Trim & blower would have to do all that..
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-28-2014, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaver View Post
Say if someone hired a helper, basically trim & blow.. what all would one have to do to be legal? Add them on insurance? Write them a check each wk? 1099 at the end of year?
You can only 1099 sub contractors. A lot of employers give employees a 1099 until they're audited by the IRS. Then they start withholding taxes like they're supposed to. If an employer is found to be paying employees with a 1099 instead of withholding taxes, the penalties and back taxes can be rather sizable.

http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-...ed-or-Employee

For Federal information on hiring a new employee you should start here:

http://www.sba.gov/content/hire-your-first-employee

You should check with your individual state's Department of Labor for instructions and worker's comp regulations. It varies from state to state.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaver View Post
Wow.. really. .. just for a basic helper. . Trim & blower would have to do all that..
Posted via Mobile Device
Legally yeah
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-01-2014, 01:22 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks Richard I was merely thinking out loud all possibilities and how it may be exploited against the employer. I for one would never pay someone based on piece work in this trade. Interestingly I would of loved it back when I stocked shelves 3rd shift 25 years ago.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:50 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
You cannot really compare mechanics to lawn care. We got a flat rate and then an hourly rate. If our flat rate for the week was less than hourly pay, they paid us hourly. I got $30 flat rate and then I think $8.50 or 9 for hourly. I never had low enough hours for the hourly pay.

But see the difference is, I could make $3k a week. There is no chance in hell you can do that cutting grass for someone. No matter what you'll always have the same houses every week to cut. If you can get done earlier that's just less hours for you for the week. If i got done early being a mechanic I can go get another car.

What are you going to do knock on the neighbors house and cut their yard with your bosses equipment?

There is absolutely no point in paying per yard. You still have to pay drive time so what's the point?

You just have to learn how to manage employees and not expect them to work like yourself
I always gave my guys more lawns to cut.

I always had call ins,
my own half route,
another crew was behind..
If A guy was cooking, I could always fill him in with more.

Ive seen guys make over 1 grand a week on the flat rate mowing thing.

Ive seen WAY more guys quit because people insisted on trying it.