Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-28-2014, 04:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

alot of lawns on 1 street

I just picked up a new customer because old lco took to long to finish property. It was a four hour process for a postage stamp lawn. The guy could not let his dog out into yard until yard was finished. The lco would mow all of his many properties on the street first. Then would edge them all ect....time he got back to finish blowing it was about 4 hrs later. I never thought about this being a problem until last week. I too do a bunch of lawns on a street in a different part of town. Last week my customer thought we forgot to blow of her property. I told her no but we where mowing other properties on the same street and time we got back to blow it was 2 hrs later. What u guys do on this matter?
I really don't want to keep starting and stopping equipment for each lawn. When I would rather keep it running

Last edited by williams lcm; 02-28-2014 at 04:26 PM.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I do multiple lawns at one stop in "bulk" fashion also. Unless I received a complaint or request from a customer I would not change how I conduct business.
Blizzard 860HD
7 1/2 ft Western Plow
Toro 7/24 snowblower
2 Toro CCR 2450 snowblowers
48" Allis Chalmers
48" Ferris WB
36" Exmark Viking
21" Toro
21" Poulan Pro
2- Echo PB755H
Echo & Ryobi trimmers
Echo PAS 265 & attachments
Stihl & Poulan chain saws
Stihl BP blower
Stihl FS-56RC-E Trimmer
Billy Goat 16hp HTR Loader
Pesticide License BU0426
A Positive Outlook
Old 02-28-2014, 04:39 PM
LawnSite Member

I have learned to warn the residents that im not finished till the grass is blown off walks. That way they stay calm
Old 02-28-2014, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Member

I to mow a group of yards close by each other. Rather than starting and stoping all the time I mow them all, then trim, then blow them all off. I just let my customers know thats what Im doing.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neblawncare23 View Post
I to mow a group of yards close by each other. Rather than starting and stoping all the time I mow them all, then trim, then blow them all off. I just let my customers know thats what Im doing.
My guys work one job at a time unless the two lawns directly join each other. This way they are finished and we just move on.
Think how many people must see your properties and think what a hack.... Can't ever blow off the road.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-28-2014, 05:27 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Most clusters I tend to mow then trim then blow all at the same time. It's the reason you have them its a massive time saver. Where I don't do it is when the I start to get 500 feet or more from the truck. I have streets with 5 and 6 accounts on them where I do move the truck several times. Then I have streets with 5 accounts where its one shot done. I let the lay out of the cluster dictate my battle plan rather then a one size fits all approach.

About 15 years ago when I use to work for my last employer we had some huge clusters one was 13 in one stop and one was 11 in one stop. The 11 one was really bad because the lawns were all 25000-40000 sq ft they insisted on bagging and the cluster was spread over 4 streets. We didn't have ztrs yet so we had to slug it out with walk behinds and as a result it was like 5 hours with 3 guys. In that case I know for a fact we lost an account because he was annoyed it took so long to blow him off. Granted he could have spoke up but customers are often to dim to think of that. As a result I try to keep that start to finish time to under an hour if I can now. One of those lessons I learned before I ever started my own company. My biggest cluster to date was 17 beach houses on the same street. That sucked but was kind of cool to have 17 done with a 2 man crew in under 3 hours.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly's Landscaping View Post
Most clusters I tend to mow then trim then blow all at the same time. It's the reason you have them its a massive time saver. Where I don't do it is when the I start to get 500 feet or more from the truck. I have streets with 5 and 6 accounts on them where I do move the truck several times. Then I have streets with 5 accounts where its one shot done. I let the lay out of the cluster dictate my battle plan rather then a one size fits all approach.

About 15 years ago when I use to work for my last employer we had some huge clusters one was 13 in one stop and one was 11 in one stop. The 11 one was really bad because the lawns were all 25000-40000 sq ft they insisted on bagging and the cluster was spread over 4 streets. We didn't have ztrs yet so we had to slug it out with walk behinds and as a result it was like 5 hours with 3 guys. In that case I know for a fact we lost an account because he was annoyed it took so long to blow him off. Granted he could have spoke up but customers are often to dim to think of that. As a result I try to keep that start to finish time to under an hour if I can now. One of those lessons I learned before I ever started my own company. My biggest cluster to date was 17 beach houses on the same street. That sucked but was kind of cool to have 17 done with a 2 man crew in under 3 hours.

This is me too.... dont go to far away.

My guys get dropped off in an area where they can literally see all the lawns from the others.

Mow all, trim all, blow all.

Then put blower on back and trimmer on rack and ride mower to next little group.
in my case the truck comes back for them.

In your case truck stays there.
do ones you can literally see, then mower drives on, helper moves up truck

Unless you're solo?

Also just communicate with your customers.
The only way I can give you this price is by doing it this way.

Professional people don't mow lawns like someone who mows their own yard.,
Old 02-28-2014, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have to do one at a time. These customers are very antsy and want to let their dog out, close the gate when i'm not finished, etc. I manage to cut 1 an 1/2 then start trimming the first one. It's kind of amazing, because we've done this dance a few times. They think that i forgot to blow, and come out to remind me, or they say "i need to leave, can you finish mine". I just gave up and do one at a time. Years later, they still don't understand that i'm not done until i blow. One time, i finished cutting, and was about to trim a big swing set. He came out "you missed alot of grass by the swingset" As smart as these people are, it really surprises me. One of 'em closed his electric gate after i mowed, and i told him that i wasn't finished. I have to stay on top of this bunch. I'm not bothered, because it's 3 in a row, but their antics can get under my skin. If you don't hustle and finish, that gate will close. Once, i had a spark plug issue, and when i came back to finish his patio, i was locked out, and he was down the road.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know, but when I give a bid to a client I give them every ounce of information I can with the bid.

If it's a property that is within a cluster I explain to them at the time of the bid that I mow all the properties, I trim all the properties, then blow all of the properties and let them know that is how I keep my costs down....

and if they need anything different then they need to let me know so I can either mow their property first, then trim then blow and move on to the rest, or mow their property last, trim it first, stop, blow their property then move on.

There is a way to accommodate people. Sometimes there isn't, but most of the time there is a way to adjust.

Customer service is priority, and it amazes me sometimes to come on this site and see guys complaining about the customer service they get from a dealer or vendor, but treat their client the same way they were just treated by their dealer/vendor but expect something different.
*shrug*
Old 03-01-2014, 01:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It really depends on your crew size and how far they are from each other and density.

If someone needs to let their dog out just finish their lot a little faster. They will definitely appreciate it.

2.5 hours is the max I let a cluster of houses go without finishing. People want you in and out.
Posted via Mobile Device