Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-28-2014, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

First picture I saw was plastic edging and I thought "Oh boy." ... Then I saw your spade edging and wow. Some of the best edging work I've ever seen. And the mulch is laid so clean and perfectly. Awesome work!

I will never understand the Walker guys personally. I think a trac-vac does a better job and you don't get that line down the middle of the stripe that looks like you've a bent blade or something.

Awesome scag, I hope you're paying your helper fairly!
Old 02-28-2014, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks so much Pro-Lawn...

It's funny, the client wanted edging all around but I convinced them to let me do a spade-edge in the front and they loved it! I am there every week so it stays nice and fresh during the season.

I think that the popularity of plastic edging is directly linked with not only different parts of the country but also with home owners that don't want weekly maintenance. I am a recent transplant to Upstate New York. I was born and raised in the greater Boston area and that is where I got my chops in Landscaping/Lawn care as well. Nobody uses plastic edging in and around Boston. The edges stay fresh because the company doing the home is there weekly keeping it that way. Doing nice spade-edges up here in the North Country has really helped to set my company apart...

For the record. I do like natural stone borders or edging... Products like Techo Bloc's Avignon and Belgik are two of my favorites. They are super easy to install as well. There is currently a company that is advertising on L.S that has an aluminum edging in a couple different colors that looks pretty good. It looks a lot better than the plastic stuff anyway...

I have nothing against a nice Turf Tiger or Lazer with trac-vac systems... In fact, I think some of the nicest stripes that I have seen here on this site are Goldpro's. I am just die hard Walker all the way. I have been operating them for over 15 years now and I could never see myself running another zero turn.(that's not to say that I don't have respect for the other companies because I really do) (I also swear by Scag walk behinds..)

There is an easy fix for the Walker middle stripe and that is the Walker split tail wheel kit.... Makes Walkers stripe just like a normal Z... If you want to see some amazing stripes using this kit, check out RLM Landscaping's threads here in the pictures section. He runs a split wheel kit and he is a nasty operator to boot and his stripes are sick..... I am just a Walker purist and prefer the 3'rd wheel mark...

Thanks so much for the feedback and the kind words.... And yes, I am paying my helper fairly.... 5 new Matchbox cars a week and a trip to SixFlags for overtime!
Old 02-28-2014, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Southern Lawn Care, LLC....

Thanks so much!

You hit the nail on the head.... Doing some projects in your own yard break you out past that stage of being timid or apprehensive about contracting a bigger patio or retaining wall. I was lucky enough to work with a company that offered hardscapes so that is where I learned a lot but I installed a bunch at family and friends houses at a cheaper rate just to get the work when I was by myself. Great way to build confidence...

I have honestly found that a lot of homeowners do not realize that they aren't going to have to pay 20 grand for a 10x10 patio for their grill, a table, and some chairs... I actually sold 3 patios last year all around that size.. 15x15, 10x10, etc... Just by mentioning to the homeowner that A. I was able to do that type of work and B. It wouldn't cost them an arm and a leg...

Just something to keep in mind....
Old 02-28-2014, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Member

looks great
Old 03-01-2014, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Good crisp and clean work, lets see some more pics
Old 03-01-2014, 01:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks 94gt!!!

I am a huge fan of your thread!

I thought what you were saying about the white boards was genius.... Can't wait to see how your new office turns out too...
Old 03-01-2014, 07:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsden&Son View Post
Thanks 94gt!!!

I am a huge fan of your thread!

I thought what you were saying about the white boards was genius.... Can't wait to see how your new office turns out too...
Thanks bud! Do you have employees or you solo? Yeah the white job boards is an exciting idea for me, can't beleive I'm so pumped about that idea, but I think it's going to really make a difference.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nice looking work!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-01-2014, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I am currently 100% solo... I officially opened my doors to my business last season... License, insurance, etc... Bought all of my equipment last spring. I am 32 years old and have coming on 20 years experience with lawn care/landscaping in particular. I was working as a foreman with an amazing company in the greater Boston area up until about 3 years ago when we packed up and moved.

My wife, son, and myself moved to Upstate New York from Boston because my father-in-law got early onset Alzheimer's disease and my mother-in-law really needed help. I believe that family is the most important thing in life. Starting my own business had always been a goal and it just made sense to start it up here because we really fell in love with the area. The market where I currently am is not as big as in Boston but there is PLENTY of work and it is also a very popular vacation area with a large lake (Champlain) and the Adirondack Mountains as well. So, I can get my fix of maintaining multi million dollar homes on the lake.. hehe..

My immediate plans for the future are to continue to learn and educate myself about the business side of things. I actually really love being an entrepreneur and learning the biz end has been fun and challenging. There is so much to learn not only about how to run a business but about our industry as well. Like I stated before, I had the opportunity to work on the hardscape end of the spectrum in my past experience but mainly when that division needed extra guys or when somebody was out sick as I was a maintenance foreman. There is just something that is so much fun about doing patios and retaining walls and working with mortar that I hope to be able to continue to get the smaller jobs thus sharpening my skills.

I do have 3, 5, 10, and 20 year business plans and goals and employees are absolutely part of those plans.... Hopefully arriving in between years 3 and 5. I talk with JContracting often about staying in the field vs. getting out of the field and the whole Michael Gerber E-Myth discussion... I want my business to be as successful as possible and if that means that I have to be managing and delegating more than working then so be it. However, if that was to be the case, then there would have to be days when I am out working with the crews side by side to get my fix.

So there is a little background/bio..... I will post up some more pics here until we really start rocking and rolling enough to start a 2014 thread. I thank everyone so much for the feedback and positive words and I am by no means thin skinned so don't worry about criticism... It's how we all learn!
Old 03-01-2014, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

For those of you guys that live in more rural areas, you know about ditches...

Being a Boston guy, I was used to sewers taking care of water management.

Moving to Upstate New York showed me that a lot of streets and roads use ditches to move water out...

Talk about a maintenance nightmare! You cant' get the zero turn down there, all sorts of funky stuff grows down there, it's always wet down there, yadda yadda yadda....

But, I did find that a lot of folks need or want to have another access point to their properties so I sold a couple of smaller driveways last year. This is a 12 inch diameter culvert set into a bed of cleans... I used Item 4 to cover it, got the grade to how I wanted and plate tamped it. I then went to my friends property and collected field stones for the head wall. I don't have any after pics of this and I'm sure it is covered in snow right now but I will post some up when I can..

P.S. I did have to call the Highway Superintendent to get my plan for this authorized. It's different state to state and even county to county. Sometimes you can just throw them in.... This one had to be signed off on.... Just an FYI for anybody thinking of adding these to the services list...
Attached Images