Click for Weather

Old 03-01-2014, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Member

I am going to find out...
Old 03-01-2014, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat View Post
Wow, that's weird. Each page's source is only 18 lines of code.
And when you go to the page it's fed from <http://www.jasonmccranie.com/ecologic/>, you see the full source.

Why would the designer do that?
I have a list of adjectives...

To the OP, if you need an assist, just yell. It's a really easy fix. I think just about any of the posters in here could quickly get you sorted out.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-01-2014, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Wow, that's weird. Each page's source is only 18 lines of code.
And when you go to the page it's fed from <http://www.jasonmccranie.com/ecologic/>, you see the full source.

Why would the designer do that?
This is due to the way frames work. Your browser will always show you the page that contains the framesets, which defines how many and the sizes of the frames, and which web pages to display in them.

In the case here, the frameset is saying make two rows of frames, the top one will be 100% of your browser window, containing http://www.jasonmccranie.com/ecologic. The bottom frame is "whatever is left over" ( the * ), which in this case is basically nothing, and doesn't specify a page to display, so you only see the one frame.

When ever you click on a link on a page displayed in a frame, by default action, it will bring up that new page in the frame it is currently displayed in, therefore the browser (in terms of the top page with with the frameset, which is showing in the address bar as http://www.ecologiclighting.com/ ) never changes what page it is on. This is why no matter what page you are going to, when you do a view source for the overall page (frameset) you always only see that. When you do a view source of the content of the frame, you will see the source of the page displayed there, thus changing based on which page you are at.

Depending on your browser, if you right click in a "non-content" area of the page (ie, just over the background away from text/links), you will see options to see what is in the frame. In Firefox, you will see a "View Source" option to view the source of the page listed in the address bar, but also a "This Frame" option, that pops another level of items for interacting with that specific frame only, such as choosing to only show that frame, popping it to a new tab/window, as well as viewing the source code of that frame's page.

In Chrome, you don't get as much, but you can see when you right click many options, then also many of those that are for the frame you are right clicking on.

Earlier I mentioned "by default action" in terms of clicking on links. By default they open in the frame you are in, but when you define the link, you can specify where to open the link. Usually this is used to pop a link into a new window/tab (usually when the link goes off to a different site/domain) with TARGET="_blank" but when you set up the framesets, you can name them and specify which one the link opens in, or you can do TARGET="_top" that says the link opens in the topmost frame, which is technically the full browser window, replacing the page that defined the frames.

Back in the end of the 90's and a few years after the Y2K non-disaster, you would find sites that had links at the top with something like "break out of frames", and they just linked to themselves, specifying TARGET="_top".

Last edited by greg8872; 03-01-2014 at 12:33 AM.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecologiclighting View Post
I have been in the green industry for a few years, just never posted here before. I would love to hear what you guys think....

www.ecologiclighting.com

Thank you!!
First of all, congrats on the new website. I know when you post a link to your site and people give you a seemingly endless bulleted list of issues that are wrong with the site it is disheartening.

Secondly, you really need to get yourself a web developer. I've never met your website developer even though he's right in my own backyard and I mean no offense to him, but he doesn't strike me as a web developer. He strikes me as a graphics guy that dabbles in web development. That is like a mechanic that dabbles in heart surgery because, hey, it's both jobs where you fix things. The jobs are COMPLETELY different.

I recognize that he's not likely done with the site (maybe that's why your URL is a redirect and the SEO work hasn't been done), but the site shouldn't have been built this way. Rather than look at the specifics, let's take the 30,000 foot view:

Think about your prospects. How are people going to find the website (hint: it isn't just Google)? What information are they looking for as soon as they hit the site? What device are they using to view the site (hint: you'll have a lot of smartphone users and the site doesn't work well on smartphones at all)? What is your brand (hint: it's more than your logo) and how do you want to represent it? I think that you've given the last one some thought based on the general visual design of the site.

Once you've tackled the high-level stuff, then you can move into the nuts & bolts of the website. There are a lot of issues here. A LOT. There is a complete lack of SEO, free and critical services like Google Analytics aren't integrated, the site isn't responsive (adaptable to multiple devices like smartphones) or supporting a separate template for mobile devices, etc. Also, the site is missing information like your service area, headings on the pages (which are critical for SEO), information about fixtures, how labor rates are calculated, gallery of your work, call to action to motivate website visitors and convert them to customers, etc.

Again, I'm not trying to rain on your parade and launching a new website is always a fun and exciting time. However, think this site isn't going to accomplish what you want it to do (attract leads and convert those leads to customers) which means, from a purely business perspective, you have a problem that needs to be addressed.

As I said before, I mean no disrespect to your web developer, he is probably great a graphics work, but the web development and SEO work done on this site shows a lack of understanding for both. Web development and SEO progress at pretty rapidly and unless your dedicated to it, it is hard to keep up with.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for that informative explanation Greg, you prompted me to Google 'frames' for more info.

I didn't even know what frames and framesets were.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Thanks for that informative explanation Greg, you prompted me to Google 'frames' for more info.

I didn't even know what frames and framesets were.
Yeah, with few exceptions, frames went by the wayside years ago. A few old school developers still use them but they are not part of HTML5.