Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-01-2014, 04:47 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
Your back in the day rants are just that...back in the day when you supposedly worked for these companies. In today's world it means barely anything. What you can get is not what other companies can get.

Youll never see me complain about not getting a job. I price it for me not for what everybody else says I should and get the most money possible. If you don't get it you move onto the next.

As far as bandwagon jumping, I said I wouldn't do it for less than $200, so I had already given my price long before Kelly gave his rate or price. .
Posted via Mobile Device
dude, you have one single narrow experience in one place, doing this for a limited time.
How is it that this is magically according to you, the only way that can be 'right'?
Old 03-01-2014, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

What is this thread about again??????
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-01-2014, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
dude, you have one single narrow experience in one place, doing this for a limited time.
How is it that this is magically according to you, the only way that can be 'right'?
Nothing magical about it. While you're posting page long formulas and counting beans for what you can get or got back in the day, others and I are posting numbers of what we need to get. Pretty simple.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-01-2014, 04:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
What is this thread about again??????
Posted via Mobile Device
Back in the day dealer/lawnservice by tp.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-01-2014, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
Nothing magical about it. While you're posting page long formulas and counting beans for what you can get or got back in the day, others and I are posting numbers of what we need to get. Pretty simple.
Posted via Mobile Device

actually I'm posting formulae for what the kid can get right now…not back in the day.

Ive been doing this for 20 years… still do it now.

I didn't know they made ferris evolutions back in the day, I must own futuristic mowers I got for George Jetson?

Mwlaz:

What did you decide on? It looked like $140 or $150… when are you putting in your price?
Old 03-01-2014, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalz View Post
As long as I can make money at this job. Why shouldn't I take it. Having small equipment for a job is nothing new to me. If I can get at least $40 per hour that's really good money for someone 16 years old. I do understand this will be close to the limit of what ny 36" can do to make money. I've nevwr had to cut this big of property before, bit I can get my 3/4 acre property done in about 45 mins. And that is with mowing around the house and trees and a few other obstacles. And that is not going at full speed on the mower.
Figure out how much you need to price this job at to be profitable at your current level of production and bid this job at or above this number.

If you get the job, great, you have a profitable job.

If you don't get the job, move on to the next potential job.

Stop wasting time…you started this thread on 2/26 and it is now 3/1…it is way past the time to submit your bid.

Multiply your hourly rate by the estimated number of man hours needed to complete this job and you have your minimum price for this job.

Either bid you minimum or bid above your minimum…the choice is yours. The higher you bid, the more profitable the job will be if you get it…If you bid too high, you risk not getting the job.

Good luck, submit your bid and let us know on Monday if you got the job.
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
Stihl HS56C Hedge Trimmer
Stihl MS391 25" Bar Chainsaw
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
Earthquake 16" Rear Tine Tiller
Honda 9" Mini Tiller FG110
2014 GMC Sierra Denali HD
7' x 16' Enclosed V-Nose Trailer
6' x 12' Dump Trailer
Equipment & Work thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=415830
Old 03-01-2014, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I will call him back tomorrow since it is too late tonight and bid $140. That is plenty enough for me to make money at it, and if he wants to negotiate a price of $125, I will do it because I want to get my name out to commercial businesses. And if he manages multiple properties, then this one job could lead to 10 commercial jobs. And that would he awesome.

18 Regualar Accounts
2011 Ferris 48" Comfort Control DD
2001 Toro 36" Belt Drive
5x12 Carry On Trailer
2001 Ford f-150 XLT
Echo Trimmers
Stihl BR600
Old 03-01-2014, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Well, I will call him back tomorrow since it is too late tonight and bid $140. That is plenty enough for me to make money at it, and if he wants to negotiate a price of $125, I will do it because I want to get my name out to commercial businesses. And if he manages multiple properties, then this one job could lead to 10 commercial jobs. And that would he awesome.
I think you'll get it, fingers crossed for you my man, let us know how it goes. In the future, be quicker with bids, I know you wanted to get people's input, but you really don't want to wait on this stuff.

I'm doing my first bid of 2014 tomorrow for plowing and weekly mowing, potential for clean ups. Two properties, one owner, so should be a nice pick up if I get it. We'll see what happens, I know theres a couple of guys ready to fire up their toro timecutters that are salivating over it.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
don't be so quick to throw away $15…if $140 is your price $15 represents a significant portion of your profit.

If he wants to negotiate lower, ask him if he has additional work first. don't just leap at a price reduction for nothing in exchange.

If you're only 16, you have plenty time to hunt for commercial debuts
Old 03-02-2014, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
If you give a good but reasonable price from the start there is no need to negotiate. Dropping the price by over 10% simply because there is mention of other work will set a bad precedent. They will expect you to discount everything 10%.

If they request a discount and want to dangle 10 jobs in front of your nose without a commitment in writing, you tell them that you'd happy to give them a nice discount when you get that tenth job not the first job. And then tell them that you are confident that your $140 price is a fair and reasonable price for both of you and them.
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
Stihl HS56C Hedge Trimmer
Stihl MS391 25" Bar Chainsaw
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
Earthquake 16" Rear Tine Tiller
Honda 9" Mini Tiller FG110