Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-01-2014, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Enjoyed seeing those pics. TX hill country sorta reminds me of Israel.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

We are in a really bad drought. We should get about 35 inches of rain per year.. When I was a kid (I'm mid 40's now), the creeks used to run clear and deeper. The lake was full with cool, blue water. It's dried up now. Heck, back in 2007, we had springs flowing so strong on the ranch that my kids and dogs could play in the pools. Everything changed in or around 2008 along with the economy crapping out..so did the rains. Things look dry and very much like parts of the middle east but it's not supposed to be like that where I'm at. A few miles further west.. yes. A few miles east.. swamp. Go figure. It's Texas.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 03-06-2014, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Was a sub to some tree guys. Big, dead live oaks. Pretty much about half of what I used to do. Probably 30% of the work now. I almost always take the skid but for some reason they thought this property had a yard that they wanted to keep intact. Some of the logs were too heavy for the Toolcat but I managed. We used the little dump on the Toolcat for all the rakings, ball moss, etc.
Attached Images

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 03-06-2014, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Some pics

Ladders!? Yikes!!
Old 03-06-2014, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Not sure why the ladder is up there. They're rope and saddle climbers. I think they like having it there but they don't use it during takedowns except to go up once.

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 03-06-2014, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowDogSVC View Post
Was a sub to some tree guys. Big, dead live oaks. Pretty much about half of what I used to do. Probably 30% of the work now. I almost always take the skid but for some reason they thought this property had a yard that they wanted to keep intact. Some of the logs were too heavy for the Toolcat but I managed. We used the little dump on the Toolcat for all the rakings, ball moss, etc.
How do you like the tool cat? I am considering one for the next replacement. The 6by 6 Polaris I have is very good, and it might just get another one. Mine will climb a very steep sided dike wall with no trouble but the Kubota won't do that for some strange reason. Tony
Old 03-06-2014, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

The Toolcat is in a class by itself. It's not a skid and a lot more than a UTV. I like it and it has its place. It will run attachments better than it will dig and has 61 hp and high flow. The ride is as smooth or smoother than my Kawasaki mule and the A/C and heat are great. I'm a little big for the cab but I like having a 2 seat machine for the ranch.

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 06-17-2014, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I picked up a Bobcat chipper for the Toolcat and the s750. It has a switch to set for the Toolcat's 27 gpm or the Bobcat's 37 gpm.

So far, I like it a lot. It's not my 20" Vermeer but it is very powerful for it's side. It chewed up 8" oaks today and a lot of 5-6" cedar and spit out good chips throwing them a long way. If the feed table was a little wider and it was a 10 or 12" capacity chipper, I'd give it a 9/10. It would be a 10/10 (so far) if you could move the machine while the attachment is running but it locks out the travel function while it's turned on.
It also has two mounting plates so you can set change how it sits in relation to the machine.
I only have about 8 hours on it so it remains to be seen if it will hold up but it seems to be built well. Some of the safety stuff is annoying (all newer chippers seem to have the extra safety bars) but aside from that, it's pretty easy to operate.. just don't lean against the safety bars (who the hell gets sucked through a 9" chipper anyway). My 20" could eat a cow and it had one reversing bar!
Attached Images

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 06-18-2014, 01:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have always wondered how good those chippers worked. Glad its working out for you. Thanks for the review.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-29-2014, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I just read on another forum where a guy was sucked through an 18" chipper.. whole. Another preventable tragedy (more than likely it was operator error). I'm glad I got rid of my big chipper for hand-feeding jobs. I will have to make do with a smaller than standard feed table on this hydraulic chipper but it will be a lot safer for the type of work we do. I am doing more and more mulching anyway and the chipper is just an additional tool. Time will tell how it holds up but we completed the job I had it on and it performed very well on just a Toolcat with only 27 gpm.

Here's a pic of how the job turned out. Nothing fancy but we trimmed up some of the cedars and mulched a lot of underbrush, old wood, stumps, and spread wood chips that we created from the limbs.

I'm generally happy with the size of shreds this FAE mulcher leaves but I'm still interested in a Fecon.
Attached Images

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing