Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-22-2014, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

CNY, I feel anymore, that it's what you make of it, wherever you are. Luck, misfortune, good fortune....they are all existent...only the location changes.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYScapes View Post
Patriot, with those numbers it doesnt sound that bad down there.
I'm fine with these numbers. These folks also pay for extras like cleanups,sod repair, mulch, bed maint,palm trimming,pressure cleaning,etc. Its the people that only want to pay 60 a month for mow n go that kill you. They just want rough cut, no frills. Some guys make a decent living doing just that,but its high volume that's hard on gear with massive turnover. It also doesn't take a 20ft enclosed trailer with 3 ztrs and crew to do well here. It does however take time to build your base. You get seen enough in a nice subdivision doing good work and a lot will drive up to you. Neat appearence and great attitude go a long way.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-02-2014, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Sod and mulch

I'm kind of new to this. What is a good price per yard to install tear up and install sod? Mulch? I'm in the Tampa area.
Ransomes Bobcat 36" Walkbehind
Encore Pro Series 32" Walkbehind
Yardmachines 22" Pushmower
2 Echo Trimmers
Echo Backpack Blower
Echo Stick Edger
Old 03-02-2014, 02:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Figure your costs and what profit you want to make. There's a half dozen types of sod available. Do you own a sod cutter? Delivery costs have to be figured in. There are a dozen types of mulch as well. Bagged or bulk? I'm sorry there's no hard and fast answers to your questions.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-02-2014, 02:25 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
I'm fine with these numbers. These folks also pay for extras like cleanups,sod repair, mulch, bed maint,palm trimming,pressure cleaning,etc. Its the people that only want to pay 60 a month for mow n go that kill you. They just want rough cut, no frills. Some guys make a decent living doing just that,but its high volume that's hard on gear with massive turnover. It also doesn't take a 20ft enclosed trailer with 3 ztrs and crew to do well here. It does however take time to build your base. You get seen enough in a nice subdivision doing good work and a lot will drive up to you. Neat appearence and great attitude go a long way.
Posted via Mobile Device
Exactly. There is plenty of money to be made in Florida(assuming you live in a good area) if you are more than a mo and go outfit. The big key is it does take time to build your base. I am 5.5 years in and things are just starting to roll for me.

I had a lady call me a few months ago basically dictating to me how she wanted her place done. She wanted weekly in the summer and once per month in the winter. Said there was almost "nothing to do" in the winter even though this neighborhood is flooded with giant oaks. I told her we don't do that and she got testy. These are the types you are talking about to steer clear from. They do their own fert, will hire the $10/palm tree guy, no installs, etc.

You have to be willing to stick to your guns and stick it out....then things start to roll
Old 03-02-2014, 02:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You ain't kidding Chris. I've already had a few that think this is Priceline Property Care. The wife went to do a bid and the woman got testy about our prices. She said good luck and when you figure out our prices were very fair we don't want your business. There is a polite way of declining and we won't tolerate rudeness.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-02-2014, 02:53 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
You ain't kidding Chris. I've already had a few that think this is Priceline Property Care. The wife went to do a bid and the woman got testy about our prices. She said good luck and when you figure out our prices were very fair we don't want your business. There is a polite way of declining and we won't tolerate rudeness.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yup. I don't have time for people like that. I get some people want very basic service, but we don't do that. We definitely don't take the dictating orders. Someone who thinks that $100-$125/mo is a lot for maintenance probably should be doing it themselves. The best thing I did early on was cut out the fat/dead weight and do things the way I wanted to do them. Now when I add on a client, they are solid and it becomes a great match for both parties involved.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I leave the clients who think we are "Walmart Mowing" behind for the new guys to deal with.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Gardener View Post
Yup. I don't have time for people like that. I get some people want very basic service, but we don't do that. We definitely don't take the dictating orders. Someone who thinks that $100-$125/mo is a lot for maintenance probably should be doing it themselves. The best thing I did early on was cut out the fat/dead weight and do things the way I wanted to do them. Now when I add on a client, they are solid and it becomes a great match for both parties involved.
A good rule to remember is that it is just as important to know when to say no as it is to know when to say yes.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Member

good reading

Just finished reading the thread "how to fail in the lawn business by someone who did it". Great read and I highly recommend it, a bit lengthy... Hope all is well as it's heating up out there!

Last edited by The-Hammer; 06-07-2014 at 08:13 PM.