Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-26-2014, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Online Photo Gallery, separate from your website.

I was wondering if anyone on here uses a separate online photo gallery other than what their website offers.
I am building a site for my new business, doing it myself, nothing too fancy using 1&1 my business websites. I don't like what they have to offer for there photo gallery viewing. It would be fine if it was just for a couple dozen photos, but I have hundreds of photos and dozens of different folders from each job I've done.
So I was looking into some other online galleries that look better, more professional easier to use. Cost is about $60 per year, which isn't a big deal.

I was just wondering if anyone else uses something like this, and has anything advice or anything to say about it.

I'm looking at using Smugmug.com Pro.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:32 PM
Sponsor

Have you looked at Flickr.com?
Old 02-26-2014, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not sure I understand what the perceived value would be for doing this. For one thing, if a prospect has the ability to sort through all my images, he or she is likely going to see the first 5-10 before getting overwhelmed and bailing. I'd rather curate my own content and present ONLY the pics that reinforce my marketing message. My website's a marketing tool, not an idea library. Everything else is on my tablet so when I'm on a sales call I can say "oh you want to see what AZEK trim in a beauty box detail looks like? Here's a job we did with that last year."

From a search standpoint, I think the images are way more valuable on my site than anywhere else. Example: one of my past clients was planning on designing his backyard himself and probably hire a craigslist random to execute. While researching ideas he searched on pergolas. One of my pergola pics turned up, he looked at other stuff on my site, then read 10-15 blog posts, and called me knowing with certainty that he wanted to hire me. If he lands on flickr or something like that, I have to hope he takes the extra step to then click through to my site.

I was told that for best results everything points back to your site and everything tries to keep visitors on your site. Makes sense to me.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply and advice PaperCutter,
I do have some pictures on the site, on the home page, and other pages highlighting different aspects of our work.
I just didn't like what they offered for the gallery, all the pictures are lumped together and you have to click through them.
I'd like to be able to organize some, add text content to it, or make different folders for different jobs.
I'm big on taking pictures and documenting everything on all my jobs. Before, during and after.
I wasn't doing this for customers to get ideas or anything like that, just to validate myself I guess and show potential customers that this is my work and what we have done so far.
What you said definitely makes sense, and you have a good point. I don't know what I'm going to do, I'm on the fence now.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

BMB, are you using a CMS for your website, such as Wordpress, or is it a static site you're trying to work with?
Old 03-03-2014, 01:33 PM
LawnSite Member

I think it could go either way.

If you have your site in Wordpress, etc and there's an easy-to-use gallery plugin that looks the way you want - perfect, use it. There's a lot out there, just make sure you find one that isn't flash-based (many are).

On the other hand, if you have a site that's difficult to work with/manage, you may find that it's a LOT easier to set up a flickr gallery and then embed it into your site. Shoot, even PLANET used flickr to showcase their GIE day of service event. I don't feel there's a stigma for using a third party gallery; it's much more important that it's easy to navigate and loads on all devices.