Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-06-2014, 11:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffTurfLawnCare View Post
Thats a nice WH. I dont mind the green and yellow, but Im partial to power steering and hydraulics. especially the 4 way hydro 54" plow when moving snow.
Currently installing hydro lift on that particular tractor. Also, In the picture, you see the tire on the left is 1/3 the width of the one on the right. That was taken mid swap for comparison. Having both skinnies, its like power steering.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I like the green and yellow stuff. I use this 24 YO JD 240 to pull my plugger and that 1000 lb roller in the back ground. It does it with ease, and no weights or chains, or ag tires are needed to do so. It has a 14 HP Kawi in it, and 6 speed transaxle designed for this type of work. I pull them both at about 1/3 throttle most of the time in, and that inlcudes up hills ( I have a fair amount of them that I do the plugging with it on). The 318 is even heavier in weight, so it wheel slip is a none issue IME. The 318 I owned sure didn't have any trouble. This 240 is the fore-runner to the 335/345/355 series and has the same exact frame, which is quite large/thick. It also uses the same exact implements.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
I like the green and yellow stuff. I use this 24 YO JD 240 to pull my plugger and that 1000 lb roller in the back ground. It does it with ease, and no weights or chains, or ag tires are needed to do so. It has a 14 HP Kawi in it, and 6 speed transaxle designed for this type of work. I pull them both at about 1/3 throttle most of the time in, and that inlcudes up hills ( I have a fair amount of them that I do the plugging with it on). The 318 is even heavier in weight, so it wheel slip is a none issue IME. The 318 I owned sure didn't have any trouble. This 240 is the fore-runner to the 335/345/355 series and has the same exact frame, which is quite large/thick. It also uses the same exact implements.

Now- Are there any other implements you use with the Deere? I just want to know im not alone incorporating Vintage Garden Tractors into the mix. All customers that see them love them, they remember these from when they were kids. One of mine has a factory cigarette lighter in the dash from the 60's
Old 01-06-2014, 01:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have a front dozer blade that is like new, a powerflo bagger system, a pull behind dethatcher (that I'd like to replace with the front mounted version they make for this machine, which makes thatching and bagging an all-in-one-pass deal). I had a snow blower for it at one time, but sold it when I got my 2 stage for my CUT. Many of the places I have cut over the years were too rough to make any faster time on a ZTR, or were simply too steep for one. Not a single person I have ever done any work for, whether it was mowing thatching etc has ever asked why I don't use a Z on their place either, and all have complimented the QOC left behind by my tractors.

I have owned more JD garden tractors than I can count, and used them all in my lawn care at one time or another. I had a Toro-Wheelhorse 267H as well. I grew up using a Jacobesen GT that my dad bought brand new when I was 8 years old. I like them all as long as they are GT's. the old Bolens were decent tractors, but there are things about them I don't care for at all. the old Cub Cadets were well made machines too. My neighbor had a boatload of them and one WH a few years newer than yours, but on the same body style. It cuts grass beautifully.

I've had a couple now that had cig lighters in the dash.

Last edited by Ridin' Green; 01-06-2014 at 01:18 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Here's mine that i use to use well still do but on big flat areas.
Attached Images

Old 03-03-2014, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Little late to this, but I don't have a garden or lawn tractor, I have a CUT that weighs 4000 lbs and has industrial tires. Am I right in assuming it would compact the ground more from it's weight than a tow behind aerator would help with compaction?
Thanks,
Todd
Old 03-03-2014, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I gotta question how good these tow behinds plug? I walk everything now. But seriously thinking about exmarks stand on unit to plug. I have the 5 k yards to 4 acres complexes.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by meets1 View Post
I gotta question how good these tow behinds plug? I walk everything now. But seriously thinking about exmarks stand on unit to plug. I have the 5 k yards to 4 acres complexes.
Mine is the JD 48" plugger that is made by Brinley-Hardy, but to JD's specs. It is heavier made than the B-H version they sell at HD etc., and it'll plug just fine even in very hard ground. The weight tray on mine can take up to 250#. I usually use between 210# and 250# depending on soil conditions. It plugs as deep as 3" with no problem and leaves nice round, clean holes behind.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWerner View Post
Little late to this, but I don't have a garden or lawn tractor, I have a CUT that weighs 4000 lbs and has industrial tires. Am I right in assuming it would compact the ground more from it's weight than a tow behind aerator would help with compaction?
Thanks,
Todd
On really hard ground I don't think you'd have too much trouble, but 4000 is really more weight then you'd want on the average lawn under less than dry conditions. I know, I used to own a CUT that was ballasted to just over that weight with no FEL or other implement on it.

There are some really nice 3 pt mounted pluggers out there though. I've been looking at them to use on my CUT I have now which is just over 2000 without anything mounted on it. I like being able to raise the plugger and back into a corner etc, then drop it down and go without over aerating the area.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
I used to own a CUT that was ballasted to just over that weight with no FEL or other implement on it.
Could have been the same tractor. Mine is 2900 lbs dry weight, but the tires are loaded and when you add in the fuel/hydro fluid/loader frame, it's an easy 4k. I'm thinking about a 36" or 48" one to tow behind my zero turn instead. It would pay for itself in 2 uses, and let me keep the CUT off the finished lawn.