Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-04-2014, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
The stamped vs fabbed thing is a non issue. One is really no better than the other strength wise, but if I had to choose, I'd take the stamped deck first. The fact is, that for commercial applications, no one that makes commercial mowers (outside of Husqvarna, who also uses stamped decks) but JD has the wherewithall to afford the press to do the stamping of 7 gauge steel. If other companies could afford the press, more would be using stamped decks for commercial use. The radiused corners act like arches for bridges. The Romans knew that an arch is stronger than a square corner thousands of years ago. It's nothing new in technology, but it does take a monster press to stamp steel that thick. JD ZTR's use stamped decks and they cut better than most other brands of deck in all conditons. I have NEVER seen a JD stamped commercial deck tear anywhere, and no H.O. grade deck either, unless it was allowed to sit outside in the elements for years, or allowed to sit constantly with wet clippings underneath it and it finally weakened from rusting out. A fabbed deck will do the same exact thing under the same conditions. Take care of either and both will serve you well. Fabbed decks do tend to collect damp clippings in all the welded corners a lot more than stamped decks do, and don't kid yourself, a fabbed deck with welds can crack at the welds. Both deck types will bend if you ram them into something immovable if made from the same quality and gauge of steel.
I do agree with what you posted. Unfortunately, not all stamped decks are created equal. When dropping down to this price level, I have to pass on stamped.

I 100% agree with your assessment on stamped decks and airflow. There's just no comparison.

I'd love to mount a 7-Iron under my X-ONE and try it for a few months.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
Husqvarna 580BTS blower
Dolmar 245.4 string trimmer
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 03-04-2014, 02:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
I do agree with what you posted. Unfortunately, not all stamped decks are created equal. When dropping down to this price level, I have to pass on stamped.

I 100% agree with your assessment on stamped decks and airflow. There's just no comparison.

I'd love to mount a 7-Iron under my X-ONE and try it for a few months.
Too funny!

I was doing something else here and thinking that I'd like to mount a 7 Iron Pro deck under a Gravely 460 or SZ just after I posted that above, since my next Z will not be a JD unless something changes drastically to change my mind, but yet I love the 7 Iron.

What I was trying to point out, that at that level (you are right, and the steel for the deck is thinner) the decks will still be pretty much equal since both will be thinner metal.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
I was doing something else here and thinking that I'd like to mount a 7 Iron Pro deck under a Gravely 460 or SZ
You need a Super HD, prototype a 7-Iron mounting system, and let me know what I need to do.

'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
Husqvarna 580BTS blower
Dolmar 245.4 string trimmer
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 03-04-2014, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
You need a Super HD, prototype a 7-Iron mounting system, and let me know what I need to do.
Sure! I'll just go outside and pluck a large handful of C notes off my money tree and get right on that. (would be nice to try to fab up though)
Old 03-11-2014, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Member

The Hustler dealer finally has some for display/demo so I'm going this weekend to take a look.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Well, I took a look at the Raptor and while I was in the dealer they showed me the Toro Timecutter SS5000, for about $3,000. This mower looks comparable to the Exmark Quest and the Hustler Raptor, but it comes with a foot assist. Has anyone had godd/bad experiences with the Toro Timecutter?
Old 04-03-2014, 02:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Bumping this to see if I can get any more answers.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Member

I ended up getting a Toro MX5000 for $3,800. After test driving them all (not cutting) they all felt more of less the same as far as straight driving goes. I just couldn't get the fabbed deck out if my head so I felt better going safe and getting one that is. Plus, I really liked the Kawa engine and better Tran vs say the SS5000 or Gravely that I looked at. It's being delivered this week so I can't wait to get out there and really test it.

Thanks to everyone for their opinions and tips!
Old 04-14-2014, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Congrats on getting a new machine. I don't know if you ever came back to see my reply to you the other day or not. This doesn't matter now since you have already made your purchase, but regarding the fabbed vs stamped deck issue- If other manu's could afford the huge press it takes to stamp their commercial decks, you can bet your last dollar they'd be doing them that way too, for a variety of reasons.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Congrats on getting a new machine. I don't know if you ever came back to see my reply to you the other day or not. This doesn't matter now since you have already made your purchase, but regarding the fabbed vs stamped deck issue- If other manu's could afford the huge press it takes to stamp their commercial decks, you can bet your last dollar they'd be doing them that way too, for a variety of reasons.
I'm not so sure it comes down to affording the press. I used to deliver sheet steel to foundries that stamped all manner of parts for different industries. The prospective client would have to pay for the dies and production runs. But, I would think it would amortize out in a very short period, given the cost of labor and the shear number of decks some of these companies spit out. It would be interesting the see how the numbers work out, as I may be wrong.

For sure, there are some advantages to them, as I've agreed to before.

'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer