Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-28-2014, 04:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
how many catagories? sounds like only one, $400/year is an awful small area, the upside is you're the only one they will be calling.
That's just for the lawn mowing category. The pro's of a small city is that the competition is minimal. The con's are that you're never going to have more than 100 mowing clients. Pretty big con.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedar Lawn Care View Post
That's just for the lawn mowing category. The pro's of a small city is that the competition is minimal. The con's are that you're never going to have more than 100 mowing clients. Pretty big con.
That's why you have to do more than just mow. Even around here we couldn't survive on mowing alone, and we have a fairly big market.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Send me Bid Requests

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptjackson View Post

Now for a little bit of a commercial. My site works more like red beacon only for landscape and outdoor companies. There are some differences but that's the idea. Full disclosure it only went live about a week ago so there's probably not jobs yet in your area. However, it's FREE to create a listing right now and it's a nice link to your website or Facebook page for FREE. There's a place to show off your work, logos etc. all FREE. Poke around, my site is completely transparent so you can see how it works. I'd love to hear what you do or don't like about it.
Thanks,
Phil
ServiceVines.com
Hi Phil,
You have a new customer from Southern Indiana. Just signed up. We'll test your system for you. hehehe
Old 03-02-2014, 07:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Angie's List has worked quite well for me. At first I didn't put much stock into it, but after a few good reviews it has really started to snowball. Had enough good reviews last year to get the super service award which I'm hoping will help even more.

I haven't advertised with them, but they have been bugging the crap out of me. I just don't see the value when it's already generating leads.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

AL works well! just remember it's not the answer to all your marketing it's just ONE avenue, you still have to spend money on other avenues of marketing. You'll find that the longer you stay on AL and the more you build your review's there WILL be negative reviews, it just goes with the territory.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Member

angie will burn you!!!!!!!, we had those stupid super service awards plastered all over the office wall . we did advertise there for years, approx 2800 a year. then u will be contacted to run a "big deal" hard pushy sales and o yea angie wants a cut of the money you receive from this work they pre sell, and o yea youre in multiple contracts at this point with huge early term fees. THEY ARE A MACHINE TO TAKE MONEY ! trust me do not invest time in gathering reports for that list. knock on the doors of your best clients neighbors and introduce your self leave a free plant ( I always have extras) invest time in your busness NOT HERS
Old 03-03-2014, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotyledon View Post
angie will burn you!!!!!!!, we had those stupid super service awards plastered all over the office wall . we did advertise there for years, approx 2800 a year. then u will be contacted to run a "big deal" hard pushy sales and o yea angie wants a cut of the money you receive from this work they pre sell, and o yea youre in multiple contracts at this point with huge early term fees. THEY ARE A MACHINE TO TAKE MONEY ! trust me do not invest time in gathering reports for that list. knock on the doors of your best clients neighbors and introduce your self leave a free plant ( I always have extras) invest time in your busness NOT HERS
I see how that might be possible, but I'm not paying them a dime and it's generating a large number of leads.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Member

New2TheGreenIndustry that's how it starts, then you will be called to pay to advertise (always show up highlighted at the top of the list add pics logo etc) be careful with any contracts you agree to with angie. and beware the big deal seriously.

what the list seems to be about is very attractive to contractors that are proud of doing the right thing . and like the idea of being separated from the hacks and guys doin it on the side. angie does not practice what she preaches.
if youre not paying in yet that's good cultivate those leads and do top notch work.

I have also noticed the kind of home owner angies service tends to attract are the complainers/ppl who have ben burned before and now want to take it out on every contractor.

further more when you give them the phone numbers of ur most prized clients to try and receive another shining review , you've now subjected them to those annoying sales calls (and they will know who gave them the info)
from one green brother to another be careful with them
Old 03-04-2014, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Oh I know how annoying they can be lol. They would not stop hounding me and at one point I was talking about signing up for Angies List just so I could write them a bad review. There must be a large turn over with the sales rep because they seemed to changed frequently. Just lately I had to lay it down and tell the repÖ"TAKE ME OFF YOUR LIST. If I want to advertise with AL I know where to find you."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotyledon View Post
New2TheGreenIndustry that's how it starts, then you will be called to pay to advertise (always show up highlighted at the top of the list add pics logo etc) be careful with any contracts you agree to with angie. and beware the big deal seriously.

what the list seems to be about is very attractive to contractors that are proud of doing the right thing . and like the idea of being separated from the hacks and guys doin it on the side. angie does not practice what she preaches.
if youre not paying in yet that's good cultivate those leads and do top notch work.

I have also noticed the kind of home owner angies service tends to attract are the complainers/ppl who have ben burned before and now want to take it out on every contractor.

further more when you give them the phone numbers of ur most prized clients to try and receive another shining review , you've now subjected them to those annoying sales calls (and they will know who gave them the info)
from one green brother to another be careful with them
Old 03-04-2014, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I tried the "big deal" on aeration but would not do it again unless you like to work for free.