Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-05-2014, 01:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Getting caught up with Rain Delays

I'm steadily growing my business, still have a few weeks until I start but want to know how some of you deal with rain delays. Do you just push everything back and continue to cut that day every week? Basically if your normal route Friday gets rained out and you are able to cut Sunday, will you come back and cut Friday again and back all the other jobs up? I imagine some people wont like that but what else is there to do. I don't know how you guys with 40+ lawns handle it all. Not enough days in a week!
Old 03-05-2014, 01:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have enough lawns to worry about it now but when I used to work on a crew we would have about 8 hours a day scheduled. If there was a rain day we would work 12ish hours the next 2 days to get caught up. Saturday we didn't mow but would help the landscape crews unless we were still behind then we would mow. If we got too far behind one of the foreman that just did odd jobs would grab mowers and do half a route each day. The next week everything went back to its normal day.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-05-2014, 02:29 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Its the reason I moved my lawns back a day last summer to Tuesday it cost me an account but was so worth doing. This year I pushing it back yet another day to Monday. This will give me Friday and Saturdays as over flow days and spare me the holiday nightmares when we get lots of rain all week.

As far as my list goes if I am 2 days late I will put you back to normal the following week. Over that and I'm losing the cut either this week or the next. I may make a few exceptions like bi weekly's 3-4 days late who cares. Or if they requested it be done for a special occasion then obviously we will do all we can to get it done. Iv seen 7 days of rain in May a few times and one unreal 9 strait days of rain in mid Oct once. Hard to stay on schedule when its that bad but the normally 1-2 days of bad weather a week should be already planned for.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You don't cut in the rain? Your missing out on all the fun!
Old 03-05-2014, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

^^ What he said.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-05-2014, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly's Landscaping View Post
Its the reason I moved my lawns back a day last summer to Tuesday it cost me an account but was so worth doing. This year I pushing it back yet another day to Monday. This will give me Friday and Saturdays as over flow days and spare me the holiday nightmares when we get lots of rain all week.

As far as my list goes if I am 2 days late I will put you back to normal the following week. Over that and I'm losing the cut either this week or the next. I may make a few exceptions like bi weekly's 3-4 days late who cares. Or if they requested it be done for a special occasion then obviously we will do all we can to get it done. Iv seen 7 days of rain in May a few times and one unreal 9 strait days of rain in mid Oct once. Hard to stay on schedule when its that bad but the normally 1-2 days of bad weather a week should be already planned for.
That makes sense. I'm not completely overwhelmed yet but just in case I do I'll just keep that in mind. Thanks for the input
Old 03-06-2014, 01:01 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Dang mang... We re still under a foot of snow and single digit temps. No grass here till may maybe!!!
Old 03-06-2014, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I used to do 45 by myself. They ranged in size from 1/8 acre up to 2.5 acres.

On weekly lawns what I will attempt to do is cut the lawn the next day. If the lawn goes 2 days past the normal day I just skip it until the next scheduled mowing day. In 20 years and around 40,000 total servicings, I think this has occurred maybe 5 or so times.

If the job has a 2 week schedule, I will cut it on the next available opportunity that I get.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashgrove landscaping View Post
Dang mang... We re still under a foot of snow and single digit temps. No grass here till may maybe!!!
We're actually still thawing out here in Maryland. Gonna be in the 50's next week its about damn time too. Just gotta prepare for when we do get some rain instead of snow, but it cant be as bad as you got it.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly's Landscaping View Post

This is what Ive done for years.

I schedule 4 10s of cutting. that leaves several days a week to stay on schedule.

IF something is scheduled for wednesday but has delays… get's cut on friday, it will get cut again on wednesday right back on schedule.

I haven't missed a weekly cut in over a decade doing it that way.