Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-05-2014, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOturkey View Post
I've noticed that for every year I age, my minimum comfort temperature goes up about another degree. I'm up to about 62 degrees now.
HaHa, I agree! I use to be fine with the cold but now at 44 I cant take it any more. A warm weather relocation is in my future!
Old 03-05-2014, 08:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYScapes View Post
HaHa, I agree! I use to be fine with the cold but now at 44 I cant take it any more. A warm weather relocation is in my future!
Try adding another 20 years! I can surely take the heat better now than the cold.

Grateful to live in Tennessee.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

My cold weather work is typically in the Fall, not Spring. Yes, been out many times at 30, often less than 30. If the day is heavy overcast, and breezy, the body will feel it.

Fifteen years ago, my feet were the problem. They would get so cold, ache, and not work well. But, for reasons unknown to me, my feet have not been a problem for many years. Now, it is the hands. I suspect that I have gotten them so cold on too many occasions, the blood flow isn't what it was at one time. I can keep the rest of me warm with multiple shirts, multiple sweatshirts, insulated vest, coveralls, etc. when walking with the w/b. Riding the ZTR is a real problem in keeping warm. The lack of movement is the problem -- just sitting in the seat, with little motion of the arms. If sitting for 45 minutes, I am in need of somebody to pry me out of the seat -- I get very stiff in the joints (probably not unexpected at my season of life). When the air is damp (e.g. overcast, light mist, etc.), the problem is worse.

The hand problem is not good for both riding the ZTR, or using the w/b. I think the problem is no movement in the hands in either case. I use pistol grips on the w/b, with hand-to-steel on the controls. Any heat in the hand is sucked right out to the cold steel. I use a double glove -- internal, padded mechanics glove, with an heavy leather glove outside. But, this is not very effective for me. I've tried some "insulated" gloves, but without success. However, I have not trying the Thinsulate ones. Somebody suggested those in a post long ago, and I never get to a store to buy. Note to self: Go to the store in the off-season when I have time. Thanks.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjessen View Post
Grateful to live in Tennessee.
But, Knoxville gets its fair-share of cold weather and snow, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
The hand problem is not good for both riding the ZTR, or using the w/b. I think the problem is no movement in the hands in either case. I use pistol grips on the w/b, with hand-to-steel on the controls. Any heat in the hand is sucked right out to the cold steel.

Have you considered heated motorcycle grips?
You can cut off the inner flange and be left with just the sleeve. Also, you could install Hippo Hands, over the controls.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer