Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-04-2014, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

$225.00 push job mow

Ever push mowed a whole bunch of grass 10+ inches high? The fun part of our job.

This customer just had a huge septic tank job done and insisted on having her lawn push mowed. I kind of got a kick out of it, even after I seen it, I decided I was indeed going to push mow it after she mentioned $225.00 and considering I didn't want to use anything, but a cheap push mower on it, in case I ran into something nasty and damaged the mower. I could replace the 22" Toro for $100. bucks if something did happen. However, I lifted up the shoot, and jumped right in and the toro tore it all down.

Keep in mind in the photo, the area you see behind the tall area has been cut down already. I just had to leave a section to snap a quick shot considering I forgot to grab one before jumping in because I was anxious to get this one out of the way. This is a half an acre lot.

The area of this picture is probably one of the lower spots. There were areas around the septic tanks I would say the grass was in excess of 14" inches.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think many of my customers think they are having their yard "push mowed" when I use my walkbehind. That would be a hard job with a 21 pusher.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehitchman View Post
I think many of my customers think they are having their yard "push mowed" when I use my walkbehind. That would be a hard job with a 21 pusher.
I'm kinda getting that feeling too, I think a walk behind would've been fine with her ... idk ... I'd rather do that with a weedwacker than a 22" though. Now saying this way is wrong I just don't like using the 22"
Old 03-05-2014, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-Lawn&Grounds View Post
I'm kinda getting that feeling too, I think a walk behind would've been fine with her ... idk ... I'd rather do that with a weedwacker than a 22" though. Now saying this way is wrong I just don't like using the 22"

Trust me, I started with the Weed Wacker. It was just way to much area to cover with the wacker. There is a lot more lawn behind me that isn't pictured in the image also. To tell you the truth, the 22 held up much better than I thought it would. It was a true test for it that's for sure. Of coarse it wanted to bog down at times, I would back it up before I would let it stall, and all worked well. Now she's a weekly and it will be much easier this week. I got it down to 4.5", so I'm going to continue taking a little bit off at a time to I get it where I want it now that I have the nasty part out of the way. I'm kind of leery about it, because she wasn't playing about the septic system. It appears there was a big mess back there with the system. Large holes dug, now has some large blue tanks in the ground, with lot's of soft ground around them. I just picked up the Turf Master, I'm going to try it out on this back side next time and use a bigger mower on the front.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Did you pull up that dandelion?

www.JonsLawnsMD.com
Old 03-05-2014, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonLawn View Post
Did you pull up that dandelion?

No sir. Normally I would have if there was only one or two, but this woman had so many weeds all through the back lawn from dandilines, to Dallas grass, to Chickenweeds and Crabgrass. She paid me to mow, not to pull weeds.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicturePerfectLawns View Post
Ever push mowed a whole bunch of grass 10+ inches high? The fun part of our job.

This customer just had a huge septic tank job done and insisted on having her lawn push mowed. I kind of got a kick out of it, even after I seen it, I decided I was indeed going to push mow it after she mentioned $225.00 and considering I didn't want to use anything, but a cheap push mower on it, in case I ran into something nasty and damaged the mower. I could replace the 22" Toro for $100. bucks if something did happen. However, I lifted up the shoot, and jumped right in and the toro tore it all down.

Keep in mind in the photo, the area you see behind the tall area has been cut down already. I just had to leave a section to snap a quick shot considering I forgot to grab one before jumping in because I was anxious to get this one out of the way. This is a half an acre lot.

The area of this picture is probably one of the lower spots. There were areas around the septic tanks I would say the grass was in excess of 14" inches.

How many square feet and how long did it take you?
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
Stihl HS56C Hedge Trimmer
Stihl MS391 25" Bar Chainsaw
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
Earthquake 16" Rear Tine Tiller
Honda 9" Mini Tiller FG110
2014 GMC Sierra Denali HD
7' x 16' Enclosed V-Nose Trailer
6' x 12' Dump Trailer
Equipment & Work thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=415830
Old 03-05-2014, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicturePerfectLawns View Post
Trust me, I started with the Weed Wacker. It was just way to much area to cover with the wacker.
Take the guard off and then you'll have 22" of line to use...

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Grass like that is why I keep my Sarlos. That would be pure misery wih anything but a high wheel mower with a strong self propel and at least 8hp. You earned that 225.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-05-2014, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
Take the guard off and then you'll have 22" of line to use...

Sure with piles of 10" long grass and numb forearms by the time your done.
Posted via Mobile Device