Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-04-2014, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Shindaiwa eb508rt

Shindaiwa eb508rt

Its the "entry level" commercial blower that was released shortly after Echo bought out Shindy. I've seen several people on the forums claiming that the new Shindy models are just recolored Echo's. I did some external reading (not on these forums) and the majority of the info claims Echo is still producing the Shindy models with the original manufacturing plans (i.e., they aren't just recoloring their Echo products).

I know Shindy is supposed to be pretty reliable but my question is pertaining to the performance of this specific model. Several reviews say the CFM isn't enough for leaf jobs, while others say it works beautifully on leaves, wet or dry.

Anybody have experience with this specific model?

Specs are:

50.8cc
23 lbs
465cfm
Max air speed 195.

The next step up (EB633RT) jumps almost 200 cfm more, and about 30mph more, for around $100 more.

Keep in mind these are currently 20% off MSRP, as Shindy is running Fleet prices for the month of March.

Can't make the decision: Cheaper, less power, still does what I need it to now; or, $100 more, more power, does what I will require IF I start getting more leaf jobs.

$263.99 vs $359.99, price is my main factor.

My hand held died at the end of last season. I currently do not have a blower for the upcoming season, so a new one is a requirement either way.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you're looking to do leaf cleanups and be productive and want to keep it in the family you'll want the eb802. While I've never used an 802, a 50 or 60cc blower is not productive for doing heavy leaf cleanups.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by echo; 03-04-2014 at 10:50 PM.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

The 508 and 633 are rebadged Echo units. The 802 and 854 are Shindy only. The small handheld blower is also a rebadged Echo. Most of the rest of the line is Shindy only for now. Some crossover like the Speed Feed heads are used on both lines now(was a Shindy only thing). And some of the Shindaiwa trimmers now have echo gearbox/guards with Shindaiwa shaft/engine/handles.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugs View Post
The 508 and 633 are rebadged Echo units. The 802 and 854 are Shindy only. The small handheld blower is also a rebadged Echo. Most of the rest of the line is Shindy only for now. Some crossover like the Speed Feed heads are used on both lines now(was a Shindy only thing). And some of the Shindaiwa trimmers now have echo gearbox/guards with Shindaiwa shaft/engine/handles.
The Shindaiwa T235 is a definite hybrid of the two lines.. not all Echo, not all Shindaiwa....
Old 03-05-2014, 11:54 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newz7151 View Post
The Shindaiwa T235 is a definite hybrid of the two lines.. not all Echo, not all Shindaiwa....
Yah, from what I am told the 235 engine was under development when the two merged. So its a Shindaiwa engine however I think they are going to use it on some Echo stuff. But it definitely has the echo gearbox/guard. I cant remember but I think this engine is also used in the newer Shindaiwa hedge trimmers.

The newer T254's also got the Echo gearbox/guard but at the same time those came in the T242's still had the Shindaiwa gearbox/guard. Maybe using up whats left and then switching over at some point???
Old 03-05-2014, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The shindy units are 20% off during March. I have had the 802rt and 854rt. Both list at $529 so you are looking at about $425 for either one. I would buy the 802 because it is easier to start for some reason. Only shindy product I have ever owned that didn't start on the second pull at worst. I have had 10+ shidy units over the years. They are the best IMO.
48 and 52 inch Scag Pro-V's
48 and 36 inch Great Dane hydro WB's
2-21in Honda HRC 216 hydro
Echo Hedge trimmer HC-150
2- Shindaiwa multi tool M2510
2-Hitachi string trimmers
Shindaiwa BP blower 854
Robin BP blower
Shindaiwa HT 2510 30in single sided trimmers
Echo Blower ES-230
Stihl Chain Saw 250
Old 03-05-2014, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Shindy is the best and remember....

Echo did not buy out Shindaiwa....

Echo and Shindaiwa merged under the Yamabiko Corporation...

Part of the reason for this merger was the fact that Shindaiwa was and is light years ahead of everybody else when it comes to emissions.....
Old 03-05-2014, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I see. Now I have the consideration of picking up the EB802RT, if I can justify spending that much.

Additional Question:

I have a homeowner trimmer that I just did maintenance on and is running decent. But I doubt it will last even half of this season when I'm running it 3-4 hours per day, 5 days a week. It's just too much for a homeowner.

I'm considering a Multi-Tool for the next trimmer purchase. I'll get the trimmer head with it and add the edger, pole pruner, possibly hedge trimmer later. Hopes will be to use this as the trimmer for awhile, and then purchase an additional dedicated trimmer.

As far as multi-tools go, hows the M242 from Shindy? LawnSite has completely mixed reviews about it.

Was considering the Stihl KM110 Kombi system a few months ago, but the price difference on the power head itself, along with the attachments, is crazy compared to Shindy.

Have also read some decent reviews on the Husqvarna multi-tool system, only drawback being smaller number of attachments.

The Shindy catches my eyes more, seeing as it will be 20% off. I tried talking to the Husky dealers during the Husky Fleet week at the end of Feb, but none of them would honor the deal. Also not sure when Stihl will be running Stihl Dealer Days, and what % off the handhelds will be.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had the m242 its good but the 254 is a little more powerful. I have a couple 254's now with the pole pruner, 2 edgers, 3 trimmers and 2 articulating hedge trimmers. That is the way to go IMO.
48 and 52 inch Scag Pro-V's
48 and 36 inch Great Dane hydro WB's
2-21in Honda HRC 216 hydro
Echo Hedge trimmer HC-150
2- Shindaiwa multi tool M2510
2-Hitachi string trimmers
Shindaiwa BP blower 854
Robin BP blower
Shindaiwa HT 2510 30in single sided trimmers
Echo Blower ES-230
Stihl Chain Saw 250
Old 03-07-2014, 01:32 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugs View Post
Yah, from what I am told the 235 engine was under development when the two merged. So its a Shindaiwa engine however I think they are going to use it on some Echo stuff. But it definitely has the echo gearbox/guard. I cant remember but I think this engine is also used in the newer Shindaiwa hedge trimmers.

The newer T254's also got the Echo gearbox/guard but at the same time those came in the T242's still had the Shindaiwa gearbox/guard. Maybe using up whats left and then switching over at some point???
The T235 is a SRM225 base engine with upgrades to things like the piston and cylinder. The gearbox is a mid torque as opposed to the high torque on things like the 266T units. The guard.. I dunno, it's not Echo but it isn't as obtrusive as what the old Shindy guards were.