Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-05-2014, 11:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You guys must be younger than me. These are all good suggestions but a bottle of ibuprofen is #1 on my list
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-05-2014, 12:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Wow, some fantastic idea. Now of all these things listed, How many of you carry this equipment with open trailers? I can't see myself loading/unloading my miller generator/welder etc. daily. Until I get a barn built and or enclosed trailer I will be keeping my equipment in the garage which requires unloading daily. I want to stick with general mowing. Depending on the account, I may do hedge trimming, mulch, cut down trees or whatever they ask. I don't want to lose an account because I refuse to trim a bush. However, I don't want to get all fancy and start doing mulch, then plant 300 flowers etc. If a customer wants some mulch, I will do it upon request. I just wont advertise for it. Essentially, I would do what ever a customer asks, I just wont ask them if I can do it. Unless I see something extremely hideous that will reflect my work. Grass looks nicely mowed and the rest looks horrible. ok, enough rambling.

Guys here mentioned software. I do carry a smart phone but I use my Ipad alot. Does anyone have good apps they use? OR is everything Microsoft based? I like carrying my Ipad everywhere instead of having to head into the office and use the computer.

BELTS... Great suggestion. I need to get some spare belts. I have actually never blown a belt on any mower but always carried spares.

keep the ideas coming, Trying to get all this back in order.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Most of the service company software is web based now so you can use it on anything with an internet connection. More and more are getting into apps. The only one I have experience with is jobber which works for my needs but they all have different features and benefits that you need to look into to determine what will work best for you. I like jobber but as we expand I can see outgrowing its capabilities, its good for maintenance but on the landscaping side it falls short and the reports I can generate are limited
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-05-2014, 12:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTS View Post
You guys must be younger than me. These are all good suggestions but a bottle of ibuprofen is #1 on my list
Posted via Mobile Device

Funny you say this. I am by no means an old man but always have a bottle with me.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Allergy pills in the spring time!!!
And we just started using Jobber... Great bunch of guys, neat software... We'll see how it helps out during Spring Cleanup season
Grande Prairie, AB Canada
rosgrounds.com

2008 Ford F-250
2006 GMC Savanna

5x10 utility trailer
7x14 tandem car hauler

Ariens sweepers
Bluebird aerator
Classen turf rake
Echo small power equipment
Exmark mowers
John Deere mowers
MTD 45" WB snowblower
Ryan turf rake
Yanmar sx3100 tractor
Old 03-05-2014, 01:49 PM
Sponsor

Thanks TTS and ROS_Grounds! Seeing you ROS on Twitter and here now too.

I don't know if this is really essential, but being able to take payments with something like Square I could see becoming very important in the next few years.

Also tablets and smartphones. Having an iPad with 3g and an iPhone lets you virtually anything right from the field.

Watch our 14 minute Quick Tour Video

Have feedback for Jobber? Email or call me direct at 587-400-9852.

www.getjobber.com | landen@getjobber.com | 1-888-721-1115 Ext 114
Twitter: @GetJobber | Jobber on Facebook

Old 03-05-2014, 02:51 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenb2920 View Post
OK, BESIDES: Truck, trailer, mower, string trimmer, edger and blower.

What do you find as essential equipment you could not do business without for lawncare. What items are in your checklist.
Trimmer line, safety equip(gloves, eye protection, hearing protection, high viz vests, plenty of water, first aid kit and fire extinguisher) spare blades, gas shears, basic hand tools, power drill, hammers, crow bar, gas and oil, spare parts for mowers, etc.

“We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – Ronald Reagan

The people in Ferguson aren't looters, they're undocumented shoppers!

"Treat employees like they make a difference and they will." - Jim Goodnight

Old 03-05-2014, 03:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
However….I'm not sure how I functioned without this dang apple attached to my hip.
Get rid of your belt clip...it's 2014.

Mine is a cooler and cold water.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Alright, I have all these essentials luckily. However as the season starts I will upgrade my blower. I like my gas shears but don't see myself carrying them daily (Again, until I get an enclosed trailer). Any other gas or power equipment people carry as a must. I don't see myself getting a bed edger unless really needed. I am definitely not getting a power rake for the areas I intend on servicing. I have no intent on being an "Arborist" but may invest in a pole saw one day. Anything else you can think of?
Old 03-05-2014, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Rake, garbage can, bags, broom, spare oil, edger blades,bow rake, plastic coal shovel, gloves. One item on every truck now is a come along and tow strap. Major pain when a mower slips into a boggy area or a ZTR dies and you're alone and need to get it on the trailer.
Posted via Mobile Device